Videogame Theater: Donkey Kong vs Mario: A Barrel of Hope

Eadgery

Jun 5, 2008
About the only thing this show has going for it is the puppets. They look great...the content not so great.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I really have not enjoyed this series so far. I will watch the next few episodes because I feel I should give it a chance but so far I am not impressed. It seems that you have a few good ideas which you execute poorly and then just pad it out to make a full episode. It's like looking for pizza in a trash can - you're not going to find more than a couple of slices and any that you do find aren't going to taste too great. As others have said though, de-rez was quite bad to start off with and now is almost on par with the video deity that is zero punctuation. I think if you did something more like MercFox suggested then this could be very funny but what you have at the moment is just uninspired.

iamerror

Jul 10, 2008
I dug this episode. It was harsh at times, but an outside of the box take on how Donkey Kong came to be.

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
The puppets were well done, I admit. But the jokes were far and few between, especially for something that was supposed to be a comedy.

I'll point out some of the jokes I found good and bad:

Bad: Mario's entire "jackass" act. The ocassional snippet of stuff relating to the princess (for continuity people, paulie) (mostly the "I was a gonna do her" line) wasn't that awful, except when it turned worse than the rest of it (maybe, just maybe, there was a hint of my brain trying to get me to have a flicker of a smile at the "I'm going to fill her holes with hot mozzerella" line, but it just came off... creepy as hell, like if Herbert on Family guy just outright stated he wanted to rape Chris).

Meh: DK's suicide itself. It depends on the audience, but if you are trying to attract the violent crowd that likes to watch family guy (which somewhat seems to be the case, can't be sure due to the general meh-ness of the jokes). If you were targeting that audience, yay. If not, you added another creepy thing.

Good: Only mario's "I was gonna do her" line. That's really about it.

Back to bad: The father son scene. I see potential here, but the execution was failed. It was like the dry humor in KoToR II where it seemed like your T3 unit said something insulting and possibly funny to another droid in his solo segments, except that... it's just beeps and boops, and in this case, it was just roaring. And the whole "only roaring" gimmick just is NEVER going to be funny. Ever. And if you are willing to sacrafice continuity and let DK Jr. talk, then you might as well let DK talk.

travatron4000

Jul 12, 2008
Did anyone notice that DK Jr. was playing vectrex but holding an atari controller? I mean if you're gonna go all the way to Vectrex do it right.