Videogame Theater: Pac-Man: The Insatiable Hunger

Videogame Theater

May 27, 2008
Pac-Man: The Insatiable Hunger

A twisted look at the secret lives of videogaming's classic heroes.
Created by Scott Chernoff, former contributor to Jimmy Kimmel Live; Frank Meyer, the Webby Award winning creator of G4tv.com?s Freestyle 101; and BJ Guyer, the coordinating producer, puppet builder, and puppeteer of Comedy Central?s Crank Yankers.

MeatBoy

May 6, 2008
I can't say I found this very funny either. And the fact than I saw it on Youtube two years ago doesn't make it any better.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
It's odd. They're using game characters that are only going to appeal to someone my age...well, are only going to be recognized by someone my age, but still applying adolescent 12 year old humor to it. Whose supposed to be watching this stuff? Someone who liked Pac-Man years ago or someone who likes incessant swearing and ***** jokes? I'm not sure there is much overlap.

It's like watching a duck walk backwards or something.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
As I'm a fan of neither "Jimmy Kimmel Live" nor "Crank Yankers", this article already had me leery about watching. Now with the above comments on the video, my trepidation seems justified and I really can't see myself expending precious lifespan to see it. Sorry.

-- Steve

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
I'd say how bad this was, and how the Escapist needs quality control, but frankly, everyone else has already said it a million times already.

So I'll just hum.

Dechef

Feb 7, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
It's odd. They're using game characters that are only going to appeal to someone my age...well, are only going to be recognized by someone my age, but still applying adolescent 12 year old humor to it. Whose supposed to be watching this stuff? Someone who liked Pac-Man years ago or someone who likes incessant swearing and ***** jokes? I'm not sure there is much overlap.

It's like watching a duck walk backwards or something.
What? It's Pac-man, dude. Pac-man. Everybody knows him!
Well, I actually liked this quite a bit better then the kung-fu grip one, but it was still pretty bad.

VGT Scott Chernoff

May 27, 2008
Well, I too would say what a waste of space this video is and how the Escapist is sorely in need of quality control... except... um... I'm one of the people who made it! And (no surprise) I'm rather fond of it, too.

DrTray, you're absolutely right that you saw this episode on YouTube a couple years ago! Luckily, the response to it there and elsewhere around the internets was warmer than the comments here so far, beause we got to make a bunch more and I'm really proud of them -- I think each episode gets better and more awesome as the series goes along.

But then again, what do I know? After all, I love this one too and I'm proud of it. So you can take my plugs for future episodes with a multitude of salt, but I'm super-excited for you guys to see the next episode -- the first of the new ones, "Donkey Kong vs. Mario: A Barrel of Hope." It's tough to start with one that's already been widely seen - for me the exciting part will be unleashing the new stuff.

(Anton, I hope you check it out, too. Give peace a chance.)

We are thrilled to be part of the Escapist and we love it here. Can't wait for everyone to see more, and to read more of your responses, painful as they may be!

Oh, and p.s. - hi, I'm Scott. This is my first post here.

xMacx

Nov 24, 2007
I don't know...I'm 30 and was relatively amused. The first minute or so was slow..but then things picked up quite nicely. I like the superimposition of multiple screens - there was a moment when I realized just how cracked out Pac-Man really is. How did I not see it before!!!

So yeh, that was alright by me.

xMacx

Nov 24, 2007
Xwii360 said:
But now these "new" comers (kung fu grip VGT) are ruining the once fantastic quality and intelligence that I once knew and loved this site for.

Anyone else agree with me?

I agree that you joined 20-some days ago.

..and that given your join date, you might not know what you're talking about.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
VGT Scott Chernoff said:
Thanks, Russ. Glad to be here.
Erm...sorry if the earlier post was harsh. Technically and in terms of ambition it was definitely impressive and the trippy sequence got a smile out of me. Just a bit rough around the edges.

If you made more of these and they got better as you got more experience, then I'm glad to hear you're switching to the new stuff. I'll tune in.

I have mountains of old crap that I wrote and posted on the internet years ago, but I'd be horrified if they ever saw the light of day now. Nobody starts out a pro, and it's good to see you opening the floodgates for talking.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
Interesting enough, while "swear word" humor did deter it some (though not so much if you are aware of Puck Man), I thought it made some nice kooky references to the insanity that was Pac-Man, especially when Pac-Man told Jr he wasn't really his (see Pac Man Clones).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-Man

You know what would have made a good close to this? That one screen we used to see on arcade machines that proclaimed "Don't Use Drugs" or whatever.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/Winners_Dont_Use_Drugs.png