Videogame Theater: Pac-Man: The Insatiable Hunger

usernamed

Dec 22, 2007
I watched it all the way through, I quite liked it visually, but the writing made me bite my knuckles. If there are new episodes currently being planned or written, then I beg the writers to get hold of a DVD of the British series 'The Day Today' (news), its sequel - Brass Eye (documentaries) or even its radio precursor 'On The Hour' for a masterclass on how this type of stuff should be written.

Within 10 seconds of the video proper starting and the first line of 'Get me another beer woman...' I could see what was coming. Not just a faint outline of it either, I could have stopped there and described each scene (although possibly not in sequence)

Maybe at the end it was a toss up between a prison sentence or a fatal overdose, but either way, I'm not in love.

I'll watch the second one because I understand how much effort goes into getting something like this together into a finished form, and how soul destroying heavy criticism can be.

However, I really mean it about the writing.

Redfield85

May 28, 2008
VGT Scott Chernoff said:
And Redfield -- love what you did. Thanks for getting involved!
Anytime.

Also, when watching the sequence when Pac-man is running straight at the camera, it just seems that his running looks awkward (if he is supposed to be running, which I assume he is).

immortal88

Nov 7, 2007
Dreary and forgettable: this failed at humor, but not as drastically as Kung Fu Grip. I might even watch the second one. However, at this point the reasoning behind that parallels the decision making behind having sex with an ugly chick (pity lay).

Squishface Mcgloop

May 28, 2008
Considering that i'm twelve years old and an avid escapist video watcher, in comparison to ZP and Urealms this new submission isn't quite as good. Although I've come to expect the best from escapist, that's what I got in this new video. Not quite as good as ZP or URs but it still entertained me. Keep up the good work! Glad to see a new artist get paid and noticed.

VGT Scott Chernoff

May 27, 2008
Crap_haT said:
Dunno what everyones getting so worked up about, honestly I saw a mixture of Robot Chicken and Family guy in there and they are both shows I love. Considering this is the first episode and it usually takes a couple of episodes to get on your feet I am really looking foward to seeing the others. I guess in other peoples eyes you are living in the shadow of Yahtzee... Because your work is similar... *sigh* Anyway, good luck with the reception here.

Oh, and I do hope you have come prepaired for these harsh quality control jokes.
Thanks and don't worry - I know that the comments here represent a very tiny fraction of the thousands of people watching VGT and liking it. We have seen live audiences react to the show, and we've seen its reception across the internets and around the world, so we have a lot of positive reinforcement.

More importantly, I love it and it makes me laugh -- if that wasn't the case, I wouldn't be posting here, let alone reading. So as long as I've made something of which I'm proud, then I'm satisfied - and it would take a lot more than a handful of anonymous message board cranks to change that. I know how good the show is and I know that if it makes me laugh, there are many more who are laughing too. They just didn't post in this thread, for the most part! Believe me, the quality is completely under control - I'm super proud of this episode and the new ones to come.

Just one week 'til episode #2!!!

Dantai813

May 14, 2008
Erm... It wasn't really that bad. The puppets were well made I guess, but the script was just... humourless and drawn-out. I must say its better than that Kung Fu Grip thing, but still not suitable for the Escapist if you ask me.

kenji8055

May 28, 2008
i thought that it was great, sure the pac-man does drugs thing has been done but its still great looking forward to the next uploads... I consider this a twisted Sesame Street

Dante_Alucard

May 16, 2008
VGT Scott Chernoff said:
Crap_haT said:
Dunno what everyones getting so worked up about, honestly I saw a mixture of Robot Chicken and Family guy in there and they are both shows I love. Considering this is the first episode and it usually takes a couple of episodes to get on your feet I am really looking foward to seeing the others. I guess in other peoples eyes you are living in the shadow of Yahtzee... Because your work is similar... *sigh* Anyway, good luck with the reception here.

Oh, and I do hope you have come prepaired for these harsh quality control jokes.
Thanks and don't worry - I know that the comments here represent a very tiny fraction of the thousands of people watching VGT and liking it. We have seen live audiences react to the show, and we've seen its reception across the internets and around the world, so we have a lot of positive reinforcement.

More importantly, I love it and it makes me laugh -- if that wasn't the case, I wouldn't be posting here, let alone reading. So as long as I've made something of which I'm proud, then I'm satisfied - and it would take a lot more than a handful of anonymous message board cranks to change that. I know how good the show is and I know that if it makes me laugh, there are many more who are laughing too. They just didn't post in this thread, for the most part! Believe me, the quality is completely under control - I'm super proud of this episode and the new ones to come.

Just one week 'til episode #2!!!
Wow you were proven wrong. You should see episode 2. EPIC FAIL. You should tell the People that like it to log on and defend you a little because you are just going to get more upset if you try to keep up this kind of quality.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I don't know why, but that scene with Pac-Man injecting drugs into his blocky yellow limbs amused me quite a bit.

It reminded me of a comic someone did where Speed Racer was literally turned into a racer doing speed.

I am so messed up.

iamerror

Jul 10, 2008
I always thought Pac-Man's need to eat lots of pills had a sinister connotation. This episode was a good one.

jthompson7789

Jul 10, 2008
goseman said:
I always thought Pac-Man's need to eat lots of pills had a sinister connotation. This episode was a good one.
The only sinister connotation here is that someone actually liked this episode. I guess there's no accounting for taste.