Videogame Theater: Pac-Man's Video Blog: 1979

Kayevcee

Mar 5, 2008
This is the first one of these I've watched. All I can say is it looked like it was a lot of fun to make. If so, please continue cranking them out and eventually you might learn what to do and what not to do. If it wasn't, I'd recommend whoever is involved stop doing them now.

-Nick

YYZed

Jun 25, 2008
Gahars said:
A lot of people, for the whole series, have said the series was not funny, and one of its creators, Scott Chernoff, has defended it.

With all of the complaints about the series lack of humor, I have something to ask of him.

If he can post about this episode, and tell us, the community, what he thought was funny about this episode.

I just want to know what he and the rest of the VGT team were aiming for in regards to humor.

Thanks.
Second, I'd like to know what his idea of humor is exactly.

Nadsat

May 30, 2008
Gahars said:
A lot of people, for the whole series, have said the series was not funny, and one of its creators, Scott Chernoff, has defended it.

With all of the complaints about the series lack of humor, I have something to ask of him.

If he can post about this episode, and tell us, the community, what he thought was funny about this episode.

I just want to know what he and the rest of the VGT team were aiming for in regards to humor.

Thanks.
I'm not entirely sure whether this episode was supposed to be funny or not. Maybe it's just part of a multi-episode plot-line, and there's going to be a big punchline at the end, but to be honest, I'm not holding my breath

brainiac2

Jun 15, 2008
Well, this didn't make me laugh, It had no plot, and the jokes didn't seem to go anywhere, but at least it didn't make me cringe horribly to myself like the other two videos.

RentCavalier

Dec 17, 2007
There were jokes in this?

*sigh* It's just painfully dull. The Mario/Donkey Kong one was almost too mean-spirited to be funny, this was too dull, and the Pac Man on drugs was...too weird. The trailers for this show looked pretty funny at the end of the Zero Punctuation vids, but for having such an apparantly high production budget, there's a lack of any quality writing or performing in this.

Mogsam

Jun 4, 2008
When did the jokes start? Hope you aren't getting alot of money to preduce this series since it really isn't worth it.

Helikaonx

Jun 26, 2008
I am completely clueless as to why this pile of fetid rubbish is being shown at all, let alone on the escapist.
I implore the makers of this to stop, re-assess what the hell you are doing and come back with something other than a feckless student project destined to be forgotten as quickly as a drunkards memory.
For the love of god, stop; your embarrassing yourselves.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Okay, do the creators even read the comments here? I hope they do because I just got a shiny new Escapist account just to post one. Please stop this series, asap.

VGT Scott Chernoff

May 27, 2008
Hey all, I've been swamped working on a couple new projects, so I haven't had as much time to keep up with the message board this week. But to answer a couple questions, yes at least one of the creators does read these comments, and our idea of what's funny is whatever makes us laugh. (It's a pretty sophisticated theory.)

Harry, thank you for your enthusiasm and your ideas! You'll be happy to know that Frogger is coming up soon, and he does indeed have some grievances. The Q*Bert story is also kind of an epic. We have been thinking about how we'd want to do a Dig Dug episode, and your ideas are great. Also, Sinistar - nice.

Lord Kamina, thanks also for your comment - glad you're out there. And Sammyfreak, glad you're still watching and posting, too. Actually, thank you to everyone here for watching and commenting!

Also, a special shout-out to Rent Cavalier for saying we have an apparently high production budget -- we take that as a huge compliment, considering we really didn't. Yet despite how time- and labor-intensive it is to actually produce VGT, yes Kayevcee, they are also super-fun to make.

Back to work for me now -- more soon!

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
VGT Scott Chernoff said:
But to answer a couple questions, yes at least one of the creators does read these comments, and our idea of what's funny is whatever makes us laugh. (It's a pretty sophisticated theory.)
Sounds like you didn't really understand the question then, or are purposefully avoiding saying what you found funny about this episode.

bobsaget

Dec 31, 2007
No offense but(yah no offense is never used in nice context) but that was bad to meh at best.

Robertbobby91

Jun 26, 2008
What's funny is not this.

In the words of Yahtzee in the Devil May Cry review, "now I can pretty much point at this" as what's not funny.

Nadsat

May 30, 2008
If I can address the creators for a moment, can I ask you; was this supposed to funny? Please, please tell me this is going somewhere and that it's just the set-up to a much larger joke or dramatic plot thread, because, honestly, if this is your idea of humorous material, I'd suggest that a career change (or new hobby) might be in order.

KenzS

Jun 2, 2008
Here's an insult:

I would rather watch Jerry Seinfeld to stand up than watch this video again.