"Videogames Cause Rape" Author Gets Amazonbombed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

Carole Lieberman [http://www.drcarole.com/home.htm], the author and psychologist who stirred up a whole lot of nerd rage recently when she told Fox News that videogames cause rape, is being Amazonbombed.

Fox News recently caused some predictable outrage with a report suggesting that among their many other inherent evils, videogames turn people into rapists [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107628-Fox-News-Says-Bulletstorm-Could-Make-You-a-Rapist]. "The increase in rapes can be attributed in large part to the playing out of [sexual] scenes in videogames" was the exact line, coming from one Carole Lieberman, an Emmy award-winning "media psychiatrist," author and expert-witness-for-hire. You can imagine how well that went over.

So as it is wont to do, the internet is now expressing its outrage by Amazonbombing her latest book, GamePolitics [http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Girls-Carole-Lieberman/dp/292386512X/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top] says the tome has gone from six reviews to 40 this morning, the vast majority of them one-star ratings that have dragged its overall review score down to a lowly 1.5/5.

It's interesting to note that while some of the "reviewers" make no bones about the fact that their anger is rooted in Lieberman's ridiculous anti-game comments on Fox, many others take issue with the concept of the book itself: that it encourages women to use sexual manipulation and deceit to get ahead in the world. I haven't read it so I can't really comment but the cover sure ain't subtle.

Odds are that Amazon will pull the plug on at least some of the one-star reviews fairly quickly, although the fact that most of them are civil and more or less on topic could splash some confusion on the process.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Ah, when we nerds get pissed off we can do some awesome things every now and then.
Though they should've seen this coming, same thing happened when Mass Effect was called a "rape simulator" about 3 years ago.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
It's kind of immature of people to Amazonbomb her like this.

But on the other hand:

'Bad Girls' will have a devastating influence on the youth of the world. Children as young as 9-years-old are being exposed to this text.

I can state with certainty that any increase in crime rate that may have been noted near your hometown can be attributed in large part to the authorship of this book.

That was pretty funny.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
We live in a world in which provides us tools. Tools which give us power to smite those who would oppose ue.

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
Andy Chalk said:

Carole Lieberman [http://www.drcarole.com/home.htm], the author and psychologistiatrist who stirred up a whole lot of nerd rage recently when she told Fox News that videogames cause rape, is being Amazonbombed.
You've still got her name wrong. The link even says Dr. Carole. And shes a Psychiatrist, NOT a psychologist (there is a difference!).

++ On the amazonbombing. Shes incredibly arrogant and is not exactly a scientist. Way to make psychologists (which she is not, but people keep calling her) look bad.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
see now she deserves this, not for her comment on games but for her entire philosophy, iv read a few extracts from that book, and i think iv seen a few other pieces of her and shes just a bad person plain and simple, itwould be a shame if amazon pulled those one stars as she really does deserve them

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Remember kids, psychology is more than saying "I'm a psychologist," then saying your opinion is fact because you're a psychologist.

In other news Karma is a *****

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
Lost In The Void said:
Remember kids, psychology is more than saying "I'm a psychologist," then saying your opinion is fact because you're a psychologist.

Shes a psychiatrist (med doctor first) not a psychologist. Shes trained in a totally different way.

That being said, your statement still holds true.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I'm not sure what angers me more: her face in her picture, the title and message of her book, or her the crap she spewed out while on Fox.

gmergurl

Jan 27, 2011
I have a feeling that it is indeed a bad book, given the title... but do any of you actually know they contents without reading it? Regardless, I think this is funny. I guess Karma can be a "bad girl" too lol. People should put how all their little princesses are going to turn into drug-addicts now (by my definition of stereotypical good girls versus bad girls, not saying anything against anyone). Hmmmmmmm......

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Phyroxis said:
Shes a psychiatrist (med doctor first) not a psychologist. Shes trained in a totally different way.
Considering it was most likely mail order, I don't think the distinction matters.

And let me get this straight, she's telling women that they should sexually appeal to men because then men will give you nice things, then decrying video games for causing rape.. sometimes people scare me a bit. :S

Apr 28, 2008
Reminds me of when people bombed that one woman's book on amazon after she said "I haven't played Mass Effect, but I'm sure I know what its about" or something like that. She then went on to call it a "rape simulator" among other things. Then her book was bombed with people saying "I haven't read this book, but I'm sure its about how to molest children." Or something like that.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Phyroxis said:
Lost In The Void said:

That being said, your statement still holds true.
Well in that case most of her knowledge should lie in mental medication so what is she doing writing books that seem to be more rooted in the psychology side of mental health rather than psychiatry. That makes her seem even more dumb than she already appeared to be.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Just like the idiot from Mass Effect. Whining about sex in games, but the cover of her book was super "sex appeal buy me!" too.

Enjoy your heaping dose of karma, lady.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Yet another activist-author pushing ridiculous beliefs about men. Games don't cause rape. Rape causes rape. But encouraging women to dangle this expectation of sex by playing the part of "bad girls"--specifically to play upon this supposed primal urges we caveman-like menfolk have--certainly doesn't help.

That is not to say anything excuses rape, let's be clear. What we're saying here is that there's an underlying inconsistency in her beliefs about men. Either:

a) Men can, should, and do control their response to sexual urges, meaning they are wholly responsible during those times when they do not. (This, by the by, is my belief.)

or b) Men can be "fooled" into raping women via the influence of psychological controls present in video games that manipulate primal instincts... in which case, wouldn't that mean that men can be "fooled" into raping women by encouraging women to intentionally play upon those same primal instincts, and it is thus dangerously irresponsible to encourage women to do that?

Either men are in control (and thus responsible when they do bad things), or men are controllable (and thus not fully responsible when they are manipulated into doing bad things). Can't have it both ways.

Feb 13, 2008
Q: Who is worse? Advertisers, Psychiatrists, Lawyers or Politicians?
A: Someone who wants to be all four.

But heaven forbid Amazon take public opinion into account in reviews.

Just a quick thought, Ms. Lieberman; If playing games increases rape, why are you telling women to sleep with bad boys and then leave them?

Could it be that you are the one that is advocating this?