Videogames Made Halo 3 Killer Do It After All

darrinwright

Oct 1, 2008
We just need to make sure psychopaths and their parents never get their hands on games in the first place. Either that or people like this judge take a moment to look at the TONS of violence in other media that gets a pass.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
I agree with other posters, with 16 you don't really mix reality and game that much unless you have a serious mental disorder...and if that is given, it's just a matter of what reason to do such acts comes first...

GeeDave

Oct 10, 2007
Brokkr said:
"Because you can shoot these aliens, and they're there again the next day. You have to shoot them again. And I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea, at the time he hatched this plot, that if he killed his parents, they would be dead forever."

This just made me cringe. Really? You think that this guy believed that if he killed his parents that they would respawn tomorrow? Really? He was 16... I think that you pretty much understand this part of life at that age.
Aye, I was going to quote the same text. It's fucking ridiculous. He claims to not know enough about games, which makes that retarded comment 100% false assumption. He's assuming that whatever Game Petric was playing was somehow brainwashing him into thinking that humans in the real world can re-spawn. And what's sickening is that people will believe him. When will the world wake up and realise that it's only those fucked up in the head to begin with who do these things. Petric was quite clearly just a thick bastard with some major issues.

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
Brokkr said:
"Because you can shoot these aliens, and they're there again the next day. You have to shoot them again. And I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea, at the time he hatched this plot, that if he killed his parents, they would be dead forever."

This just made me cringe. Really? You think that this guy believed that if he killed his parents that they would respawn tomorrow? Really? He was 16... I think that you pretty much understand this part of life at that age.
The judge just made an absolute fool of himself. If Petric actually believed his parents would respawn (which I highly doubt), the guy is undeniably, 100%, one flew over the cuckoo's nest INSANE! If the judge thought the kid was insane, he shouldn't have convicted him.

Saying this after the fact is like painting a humungous bulls-eye on Petric's conviction and handing the kid's lawyers a appeal sniper rifle.

darksaiyan

Oct 14, 2008
It's quite clear that the guy was already insane, just look at him... What the judge doesn't get is the fact that games aren't inherently what made him kill, but the fact that his parents denied him his intention to play, along with a usually violent life (presumed), resulted in him losing his mind and killing his mother.

Sure he was addicted, but not that much is known about how games influence the gamers to actually blame them for something.

Now on the funny side: He TKed I guess...

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Brokkr said:

Of course he didn't; the Bible told him that they'd respawn in better positions where they could watch over him from Heaven sniper-camp for all of eternity.

Again, why blame Halo for this?

-- Steve

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
Jman1236 said:
God, why do I feel that this is going to be used a fuel to pass that BS bill that is trying to put a warning label on Teen or above rated games. Were just lucky that Jacko has been disbarred or he would be over this like white on rice on a paper plate with a glass of milk in a snow storm.
agreed. this wont end well

DarkBlood626

Nov 9, 2008
O plz if some new law uses this as justification to be past any one with sense will just shoot it down like similar shit has been in the past

My favoured saying

I dont know about this game (but I will pass a uninformed judgement anyway)

He thought his parents would re-spawn

RE- DO THE DAM CASE WITH SOME COMPITENT JUGE WHO KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT

Ansem-The-Wise

Oct 19, 2008
And here I thought the whole 'video-games kill small children' theory had been dropped by now. Just once, I want someone who is one trial for murder say that the reason that they did it is because they saw a lot of news reports about it on FOX News. I would LOVE seeing the newscasters try to figure out who to blame.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Avida said:
Yes, games are like drugs, but then so is everything else!
That's what I was thinking. Anything can become an addiction, because while they may not be physically addicted, they can become psychologically addicted, like I believe this guy has become.

Anyways, this guy was addicted, and when that addiction was taken away, he acted irrationally, like any addict would. Video games aren;t to blame.

f1r2a3n4k5

Jun 30, 2008
Hypothetically, you can get addicted to anything. Videogames just happen to be the popular target of today.

If I kill someone over my favorite TV show, can I plea that I thought that they'd just be reintroduced in the next season?

I believe that videogames are entirely to blame as the catalyst of this argument (as drugs or money can cause other disputes). But until I see a game pick up a gun and shoot someone, the argument seems pretty fallacious.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Fuck that, he was mentally unstable, probably has autism or somthing like that and is obsesing or the fucking game, I live in Canada an not far from me a kid ran away because he got his Xbox taken away, he was addicted to COD4. Later he died hiding in a huge fucking tree and fell out, he was fourteen. This guy was 16. What kind of retard would do these things? Its not the the games its that metally unstable people are playing violent things. Ceral killer used to kill animmls as a way of practice, now I think they'll use games instead as the world changes.

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
The faith in humanity I grew that day got blown in the face by a shot-gun, then the mangled faceless corpse was tossed of a skyscraper into incoming traffic, and just to make sure they planted a grenade in what was once a person and separated each repulsive piece in a different direction.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Fuck that, he was mentally unstable, probably has autism or somthing like that and is obsesing or the fucking game...
Er... psychopathy ≠ Autism.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Sylocat said:
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Fuck that, he was mentally unstable, probably has autism or somthing like that and is obsesing or the fucking game...
Er... psychopathy ≠ Autism.
I didn't mean that see my brother autistic and he obsesis over games that why I have 11,000 gamerscore in 3 months.