Videogames which you can't buy from well-known sites

LordFeast59

Dec 11, 2014
I remember when there was an Act OF War game that I wanted to buy on Steam, but it disappeared from Steam for unknown reason. Now buying it digitally will probably be hard. But the game that I haven't found on popular gaming site is Operation Flashpoint and Rise Of Legends.

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
Hawk of Battle said:
I haven't checked in a while, but I could never find anything in the Myst series beyond Riven. It makes me sad.

just checked on steam for you Hawk,

Realmyst: Masterpiece Edition 9.99
Realmyst 5.99
Riven: The Sequel to Myst 5.99
Myst V 9.99
Myst: Masterpiece Edition 4.99

(European steam, so prices may vary.)

Edit: And I saw your post afterwards about wishing to play them in order..Ill show myself out.

jelock

Nov 29, 2009
MarsAtlas said:
GTA II isn't available anywhere as far as I know. A shame, its the only GTA game I've really enjoyed.
Here. Though currently not available http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009

I feel like this game along with it's expansion and sequel, should be available for purchase on Steam or otherwise. Not once (save for eBay) have I seen this game available for purchase since they stopped producing retail copies.

A shame too, as it's a really fun game and I miss it greatly.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
this series covers pretty much only this
Then there's myth the fallen lords.
Otherwise known as black company the game because how how similar it is to glen cook's black company
I know there's a couple places to get it, don't give me that look it's practically abandonware, there was a fan kickstarter for it for gods sake.
at the very least i have the copy for linux because of an ebay scam i swear it's justified.
At the very least if you have to pick up myth tfl, don't pick up a copy of soulblighter, they have a mod that brings in the first games campaign and revamps it.
finally
All of the mechwarrior and mechassault games fuck you slackavision use these damn ips, or let fans re-release it.

NotEvenOnce

Not ever, if possible
Jun 28, 2012
cleric of the order said:
this series covers pretty much only this
Then there's myth the fallen lords.
Otherwise known as black company the game because how how similar it is to glen cook's black company
I know there's a couple places to get it, don't give me that look it's practically abandonware, there was a fan kickstarter for it for gods sake.
at the very least i have the copy for linux because of an ebay scam i swear it's justified.
At the very least if you have to pick up myth tfl, don't pick up a copy of soulblighter, they have a mod that brings in the first games campaign and revamps it.
finally
All of the mechwarrior and mechassault games fuck you slackavision use these damn ips, or let fans re-release it.
Strife is available on Steam now dude, fully functioning!

necromanzer52 said:
System shock 1. Steam & gog both have system shock 2, but the only copy of system shock 1 I've been able to find was in the form of a load of floppy disks on ebay, for a fair bit more than I'm willing to pay. I can be a real stickler for only experiencing things in the correct order, so it may be quite a while before I get a chance to play system shock 2.
System Shock 1 is abandonware, and there are dozens of abandonware sites all over the internet where you can get a hold of it. Plus mods like Mouse Look that modernize it just enough to make it playable by modern standards without changing it in a way that ruins the feel of the original game.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
The Curse of Monkey Island!

Perhaps the greatest Point+Click Adventure game ever made.

Just watch the intro! The game is amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43-2jE-9OhA[/youtube]

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
This game has been described as pretty much Recettear except far, far more fleshed out store-management, despite being released in 2003.

EDIT: Due to me finding plenty of info on this game, and because of the shame of this game being far more X-rated than I thought (thanks, Japan), I'm just gonna edit the rest of my post out.

I finally found that this thing is being sold on eBay for 450$. FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS. A link, for those who have a large amount of money sitting around and like Japanese eroge games:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Game-Soft-Brown-Doori-Dohri-Sanbanme-Softhouse-Chara-/281340181392

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
MarsAtlas said:
GTA II isn't available anywhere as far as I know. A shame, its the only GTA game I've really enjoyed.
I was going to show you GTA II on Steam, guess it is gone now, picked it up during some Rockstar sale years ago on Steam.

Ones I wish I could get digitally:

Quarantine 1 & 2

Requiem: Avenging Angel

Star Trek: Bridge Commander

Caesar

Apr 17, 2013
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f0/The_World_is_Yours.jpg

"Scarface the world is yours"
For me its not a problem of finding the game as I still have the disk (and the game is not THAT old), the problem is that this game is IMPOSSIBLE to play on anything besides Windows xp, I would gladly buy it again on gog just for the comparability with newer systems.

Also Scarface is one of my favorite movies ever and so is this gta clone, for some reason I got really into it and I would love to replay it, I guess I just like the idea of playing as Tony fucking Montana.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
One of my top favorite old games is Stubbs The Zombie: Rebel Without a Pulse. This game was just so off the wall and wacky and surprisingly such a breath of fresh air, making the protagonist the zombie for a change is such a obviously great yet underutilized idea. The zombie powers you unlocked over time were pure genius too, detaching your hand and using it to mind control people, using your organs (which were sticking out) as grenades and using your head as an explosive bowling ball was great fun, being at the opposite side of a ton of zombies charging towards a bunch of scared to death people remains one of my favorite moments in gaming too. Also having a guy scream "that was my second favorite arm!" as you proceed to rip it off to beat him down with was quite amusing too.

But alas, the game never took off nor made it officially into the digital realm, so I'm practically stuck with either scrounging up an old copy on ebay or getting it through less than admired means.

*sigh*

Here's a video of it for those who want to feel a bit nostalgic or haven't heard of the game before

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Hmm, Pathologic wasn't available on any of those back when I picked it up. Ended up creating an account on GamersGate specifically to buy that one game. Never used it for anything else since.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I wish a lot of games released on C64 and even the PS1 were available on PC. Loved Creatures 1 & 2 and Turrican on the C64. I also loved the Vandal Hearts games and Front Mission 3 on PS. Though granted you can probably by them on PS3 store but i dont have one and dont want one.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
As I learned over christmas when I ended up with a gift card that only worked in US based stores (physical or online), you can't buy Elite:Dangerous anywhere else but their website, and from what I gathered they have no plans of having it put on steam or any other digital distributor.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
There is this little flash game that I really enjoy playing from time to time called "Mud and Blood 2". It is quite simplistic in concept and mechanics wise, but it is just a little fun thing to drop 30 minutes into, especially seeing as it is a Rouge-lite. Im pretty sure that you can play it on Kongregate, or you can download it from their website.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
There are a bunch of visual novels I want to play (Ever 17, Song of Saya), but if they're digitally available at all it's on the publisher's website (which is likely to only accept credit cards).

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
My main request:

Primal Rage! Seriously, how is this not available somewhere. Best arcade game ever.

Others:

X-Wing vs TIE Fighter

Mechwarrior Games (but mostly Mechwarrior 4 and expansions)

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
NPC009 said:
There are a bunch of visual novels I want to play (Ever 17, Song of Saya), but if they're digitally available at all it's on the publisher's website (which is likely to only accept credit cards).
I suggest strongly play Ever 17 and Saya no Uta. From all the Visual Novels I played, THESE specific ones are the best!!!

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
SweetShark said:
NPC009 said:
I suggest strongly play Ever 17 and Saya no Uta. From all the Visual Novels I played, THESE specific ones are the best!!!
That's what everyone keeps saying and I really want to play those games, but I don't have the means to acquire them legally. I guess I could use... other means, but that just feels wrong, especially in the case of Song of Saya, since that one was released in English fairly recently.

If only my morals weren't that strong...