View from the Road: What Do WoW and Twilight Have in Common?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
View from the Road: What Do WoW and Twilight Have in Common?

We nerds get awfully protective of things that don?t actually exist.

Read Full Article

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
I think I love you.

That's what I've been trying to say in my incomprehensible rants whenever threads talking about how some fictional creature isn't "real" same fictional creature.

Edit: And yes, I finished the whole article already. It's not exactly long, I'm not some kind of "First!" poster you get on ZP releases.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
While reading this I was reminded of the letter that a Twillight fan wrote to Universal complaining that The Wolfman was nothing like the wolf pack from Twlight.

I had never felt such rage whilst reading a letter in my life.

Roos1993

Oct 20, 2009
I would defend things that don't exist till the end. Until of course technology becomes so advanced they become real and I have to fight them.

Oh and I hate twilight because they're not real vampires AND the piss poor acting.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Very well said, and it makes a whole lot of sense. I never really noticed how we get all fumed up over vampires, but not about trolls and elves.

Also, interesting side note, vampires didn't die in sunlight until a popular movie came out in the 50's, at which point it suddenly become taboo to go against the idea.

And I'm totally making a worgen mage.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Roos1993 said:
I would defend things that don't exist till the end. Until of course technology becomes so advanced they become real and I have to fight them.

Oh and I hate twilight because they're not real vampires AND the piss poor acting.
By all means, hate Twilight. Not trying to say you shouldn't. ;)

Just don't get angry because RAWRTGHFH THEY'RE NOT REAAAAL VAMPIRES RARWRWRRGFGHGGBLBLHBVBLAFB

Hammith

Dec 26, 2008
John Funk said:
No, they suck because they're shallow characters in poorly written books - whether or not they're "real" vampires has nothing to do with it.
I think I love you Funk. I hate all the harping on about how they aren't really vampires, when people should really be ranting and raving on just how bad the books are.

I wrote better stories when I was nine and knew nothing of grammar or narrative structure.

Roos1993

Oct 20, 2009
John Funk said:
Roos1993 said:

By all means, hate Twilight. Not trying to say you shouldn't. ;)

Just don't get angry because RAWRTGHFH THEY'RE NOT REAAAAL VAMPIRES RARWRWRRGFGHGGBLBLHBVBLAFB
Fair enough, I mean to be honest I commend them on trying to change the formula for a vampire, but really it just didn't do it for the population of earth. :p

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
anthony87 said:
While reading this I was reminded of the letter that a Twillight fan wrote to Universal complaining that The Wolfman was nothing like the wolf pack from Twlight.

I heard of but never read that, if you had a link that would be wonderful.

I like that the article points out on multiple occasions that we can still hate twilight just so long as we remember that interpretations of mystical creatures from Nosferatu to Blade have changed and we are normally very accepting. It's just in the Twilight franchises case, it's gone terribly wrong and so we associate that change with why it's so bad.

Though, no matter the case, anything that is penned towards the scene/emo tween girl demographic and sparkles I will likely hate. I said likely, thank the gods for wiggle room.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
DJmagma said:
i beleive as long as your true to the base material, you can take some liberties. add stuff, take stuff out, tweak the formula. usually for the sake of realism, or because of how difficult it is to achieve. (i had a good example, but seemed to forgot.)

CoverYourHead said:
Very well said, and it makes a whole lot of sense. I never really noticed how we get all fumed up over vampires, but not about trolls and elves.

Also, interesting side note, vampires didn't die in sunlight until a popular movie came out in the 50's, at which point it suddenly become taboo to go against the idea.

And I'm totally making a worgen mage.
if that's true, then we should be able to forgive the "sparkle in the sunlight" thing. but we won't. oh hell no.

also, vampires started out as humanoid blood sucking monsters, not emo fags who live forever.

fucking Stephanie whatever-the-fuck-her-name-is.
Oh don't get me wrong, I despise the whole Twilight thing, I just find it interesting that the sunlight thing wasn't initially part of Vampire existence, but it has been set in stone since then.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
I must have missed something along the way. Did someone say that WoW's Worgen are not real werewolves? Then who said that Worgen = Werewolves in the first place?

In any case, when it comes to stereotypes about fantasy races, I regard Terry Pratchett's concept them as canon.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Oh, I think Werewolves and Vampires are treated special because they are somewhat the most popular fantasy characters and offer little variation because they have a very narrow characterization. The elven example you made can illustrate this point. You mixed stuff from dark elves, tolkien elves, high elves and so on, the things are actually called different, while the only commom attribute is a tendancy to pointy ears. So elves are a huge categeorie. Vampires are not, they are just vampires, because they have these extreme and exact attributes. I think that's why people don't like you messing with them, you are messing with something they believe to know very good.

This leads to another point: Vampires and werewolves are subject to many, if not the most horror movies/comics/games out there, among with dieing teenagers. People feel save about them, thing to have seen everything about them, that's why they bother.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
DJmagma said:
if that's true, then we should be able to forgive the "sparkle in the sunlight" thing. but we won't. oh hell no.

also, vampires started out as humanoid blood sucking monsters, not emo fags who live forever.

In the interest of playing Devil's Advocate, the Vampires in Twilight do in fact drink blood. Certain ones just choose not to.

Kind of like certain vampires in, say, Buffy - which we geeks LOVE.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
DJmagma said:

Actually, White Wolf did it waaaaaaaaay before Stephanie Meyer - the vampires of the World of Darkness are infinitely the most emo twatty bastards I have ever read. Of course, they're also the most badass this side of Blade.

Also, Funk, dude, roll a Worgen Death Knight. Nothing says awesome like a Vampire Werewolf Black Knight Necromancer.

I'd also take Engineering, because then you have a legit reason to put Cyborg into the mix, too...

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Demon ID said:
anthony87 said:

I heard of but never read that, if you had a link that would be wonderful.

I like that the article points out on multiple occasions that we can still hate twilight just so long as we remember that interpretations of mystical creatures from Nosferatu to Blade have changed and we are normally very accepting. It's just in the Twilight franchises case, it's gone terribly wrong and so we associate that change with why it's so bad.

Though, no matter the case, anything that is penned towards the scene/emo tween girl demographic and sparkles I will likely hate. I said likely, thank the gods for wiggle room.
Here's the letter;
[link]http://www.latinoreview.com/news/open-letter-to-universal-your-wolfman-ripped-off-twilight-9247[/link]

I will not be held responsible for any rage felt while reading it though.

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
Yeah, firstly what is a "real" werewolf? There is no such thing. Werewolves are not real. So I agree with you completely, artistic rendering and interpretation should not be criticized for creativity or trying something moderately new.

And on another note, I have seen superiorly written essays and short stories by teenagers than I have seen in "Twilight". Edward doesn't suck, he's just in the wrong tale. Imagine if he had been in "Blade". He would've been fucked and killed in such an awesome fashion that you wouldn't be able to hate him. Then again, he's in "Twilight", so I take that back. But just imagine how awesome it would have been.

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
I never believed in a solid mold for fictional characters. I like how writers and other artist always use their own ideas, in stead of using the prerendered Tolkien-style creatures. I always hated writers that do stuff like that.

I think the Worgen looks awesome. That should be enough.