Viewtiful Joe and Dormammu Enter the Ring in Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Viewtiful Joe and Dormammu Enter the Ring in Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Another two fighters have been announced for MvC 3: one quite familiar, and one a little bit more obscure.

Capcom has filled another two spots in Marvel vs. Capcom 3's [http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-vs-Capcom-Worlds-Playstation-3/dp/B003IEBO9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1282151948&sr=8-1] thirty-strong roster. On the Capcom side is Viewtiful Joe, who most recently appeared in the Wii exclusive fighter Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars, while on the Marvel side is Dormammu, a demonic entity made of energy who is making his videogame debut.

If you've been following MvC 3's development, you'll know it was just a matter of time before Viewtiful Joe was announced, as his very distinctive silhouette could clearly be made out in trailers announcing previous characters. Dormammu, on the other hand, probably comes as more of a surprise, as he's not the best-known Marvel character around. He's not really any more obscure than fellow Doctor Strange villain and series regular Shuma-Gorath though, and it'll be interesting to see how Capcom translates his terrible demonic powers into a 2D fighting game.

This announcement takes the total number of playable characters up to 18, meaning that that there are around 12 left to uncover. There are literally dozens of characters from previous MvC games to choose from, but there are also loads of new characters that could make an appearance. How does El Fuerte versus Doctor Doom sound, or maybe Doctor Octopus versus Dante?

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is scheduled for release in the first half of next year.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/marvel-capcom-3-adds-viewtiful]

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Dear Gods... How will they translate enormous power into a game? I know that the OP asked that, but here's my point: Dormammu is so powerful that people like Cap America and Hulk won't have a chance. So they'll have to downplay his power, so it won't actually be Dormammu; it'll be "Like-Dormammu-except-not-as-powerful."

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Am I the only one who does not like the roster? Dormammu? Super Skrull? Trish from Devil May Cry? Why these characters? I think there are some better characters on both sides.

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
Dormammu has been announced for quite a long time now, and Viewtiful Joe was an obvious really wasn't it? Still can't wait for this. I'll be crap!...but I'll still get it.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Looks like a great roster!

Also, there's a typo in the article: IT says "McV3" instead of "MvC3"

Your once and future Fanboy

The Norwegian One
Feb 11, 2009
Queen Michael said:
Dear Gods... How will they translate enormous power into a game? I know that the OP asked that, but here's my point: Dormammu is so powerful that people like Cap America and Hulk won't have a chance. So they'll have to downplay his power, so it won't actually be Dormammu; it'll be "Like-Dormammu-except-not-as-powerful."
Dormammu is pretty powerful, but if they have a series where the Hulk can be beat without magic, poison/sedatives or suffocation, then unrealistic comparison of power shouldn't be an issue.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
For Dormammu: I'm actually looking forward to this guy. I might eve use him. It gives me an awesome idea; the team of Dante, Morrigan, and Dormammu. Demons unite! Or just have Dormammu, Dr. Doom and Super Skrull. Marvel Villians unite! Still, the best reason for Dormammu; it gives me hope for Dr. Strange being in the game! Yay!

For Viewtiful Joe: I have only one comment that is appropriate for this situation. Ahem... HENSHIN-A-GO-GO, BABY!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Now thats something I did not expect...but, pretty cool! I approve!

Your once and future Fanboy

The Norwegian One
Feb 11, 2009
I already was sold on the game when they announced Deadpool, now i hope they add Thor, Penance, Loki, Albert Wesker, Phantom Duck (a Donal Duck character, think batman only a duck, since Disney owns Marvel now) and Samenosuske from Onimusha.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Heh.. still no Strider and/or Daredevil, eh? Well, I'll just sit here and remain in a not cheering state then.

Mornelithe said:
Give me Capcom vs SNK 3 or give me death!
Aye! I love me some CvS2, and CvS1 wasn't bad either. I would just like it better if they took out the cheeseball SNK style bosses should they ever make a new one.

mazzjammin22 said:
Am I the only one who does not like the roster? Dormammu? Super Skrull? Trish from Devil May Cry? Why these characters? I think there are some better characters on both sides.
I'm kind of scratching my head too. The roster really isn't that big to begin with and while I understand they need to have some odd characters in the line-up I'm not sure what to make of those they are choosing.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Queen Michael said:
...the same way they incorporated Thanos and his infinite powers. By assigning moves and attacks based on his percieved abilities.

[nerd rant]Also, after a bit of research, I discovered that little ol' Spider-Man has tangled with Dormammu on several occasions and won (with and without Dr. Strange helping him). In spite of his magical prowess, old flame-head is quite weak in a fist fight. It stands to reason that characters like Cap and Hulk (who also battled Dormammu alongside Dr. Strange and the Defenders) could take him on. (all of this is linked to in the reveal page)[/nerd rant]

After watching the early trailers, it was well known that Dormammu would be in the game, but unclear if he would be playable. To be honest, I'm a little disappointed. I think he would have been better as a boss character like Onslaught...
...Onslaught was secretly playable in MvC.

Viewtiful Joe, another not-at-all-surprising reveal (if you've been paying attention) is also going to be friggin awesome!

Here's hoping the Sorcerer Supreme makes an appearance too... *crosses fingers*

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Your once and future Fanboy said:
I already was sold on the game when they announced Deadpool, now i hope they add Thor, Penance, Loki, Albert Wesker, Phantom Duck (a Donal Duck character, think batman only a duck, since Disney owns Marvel now) and Samenosuske from Onimusha.
Thor's already been confirmed. I wouldn't hold out much hope for any of the others (especially any Disney characters)

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Your once and future Fanboy said:
you mean Darkwing Duck? (a spin-off of Ducktales, which also has a nice cast of Capcom and Disney owned characters to choose from. Gizmoduck ftw!) yeah, that would be awesome.