Viewtiful Joe Could Henshin A-Go-Go Again Someday

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Viewtiful Joe Could Henshin A-Go-Go Again Someday

[gametrailers=3066]

Hideki Kamiya's recent focus has been on Bayonetta, but he's still got the "viewtiful" one on his mind.

Hideki Kamiya has worked on some bangin' games over the years, many reaching deserved popularity such as Resident Evil and Devil May Cry, others remaining unappreciated gems like Okami and Viewtiful Joe. In an interview with Game Informer [http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2009/12/07/news-kamiya-wants-to-return-to-viewtiful-joe-not-okami.aspx], Kamiya reveals that if he would ever revisit one of his previous creations, it'd be Viewtiful Joe.

Viewtiful Joe was originally released on the Gamecube in 2003, with a re-release on the PlayStation 2 a year later. The game is a side-scrolling beat-em-up, with the player taking on the role of Joe as he attempts to rescue his girlfriend. What makes Viewtiful Joe special is its combat, requiring players to dodge attacks while using VFX powers to slow down time, to speed up Joe's attacks, or to zoom the camera in to make Joe more powerful. In Devil May Cry fashion, players are also judged on the quality of their combos. Viewtiful Joe spawned one true sequel in 2004, and a couple of spin-offs on the DS and PSP.

Kamiya would like to finish the story of Viewtiful Joe someday, but it wasn't his first choice. He originally thought of doing a sequel to Okami, but due to someone else already taking on that project in the upcoming Okamiden [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94429-Okamiden-Debut-Trailer-Shows-Adorable-Wolf-Goddess], he's changed his mind. "Once someone else touches a world that you yourself created it stops being yours. There is no point in making a sequel when the world doesn't belong to you," Kamiya believes.

In light of Okamiden, Kamiya says "Viewtiful Joe is probably all I've got left." The other IPs he has created are not owned by him and have already been explored by other development teams. Kamiya's newest original project is Bayonetta [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96217-Bayonetta-Getting-Creative-With-Murder], which stars a witch that fights with her hair. Bayonetta's demo is now available on XBLA and PSN, with the game set to release on January 5, 2010 in the US and on January 8, 2010 in Europe. If you like it, don't forget to support it; Kamiya might get sick of his awesome games not selling enough someday.

Source: Game Informer [http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2009/12/07/news-kamiya-wants-to-return-to-viewtiful-joe-not-okami.aspx]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Another Vietful Joe? God, havnt played that in forever...

Looking froward to Bayonetta though, I played the demo and its kinda slick!

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
...Thank you for getting the Theme song to the Viewtiful Joe Anime stuck in my head again....
Man i loved the first game.
And after hearing that Joe would be in Tatsunoko VS Capcom i was as happy as Joe in a Captian Blue convention!
Now this is even more great news.
I wonder what kind of new VFX powers will be added to the game if it is made.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I'd love another Viewtiful Joe game. I've never actually owned any of the old ones, though, so I suppose I should rummage through the bargain bins and such to see if I can find them...

Till then...

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Hideki Kamiya seems like a bit of an eccentric genius that he would discard one of his series entirely just because somebody created a spin-off using a name he wanted to use.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Good! I'm sorry to hear that he doesn't want to go back to Okami, but at least the Joe may get another chance to be combo-riffic.

I didn't know that he made Bayonetta: well, now it just got on my buy list. I've enjoyed his games in the past.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I really should buy and complete the second one then. I started the first one again a few months ago, haven't finished that playthrough yet, it's so frustrating at times. Viewtiful Joe 3 would just be heavenly.

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
I can get behind this. Even if they released VJ3 and ended Kamiya's influence then and there, I would be satisfied. ARE YOU LISTENING CAPCOM?

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
THAT... would be great because I loved Viewtiful Joe and I have always wished for a closure to the series. Perhaps a deal with Capcom then, Kamiya?