Vin Diesel Pay Cut Could Kick-Start R-Rated Riddick Sequel

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
He can afford to do this for scale. Right now the Fast and Furious series is putting money and pinkslips in his pocket.
I enjoyed Chronicles of Riddick myself, but if this gets Riddick into some gore, I am up for it.

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
Not sure Riddick as a character can hold the movie together. Its like Jack Sparrow with PotC.

Pitch Black, Riddick was just a plot character in the background. Most of the movie was about the rest of the survivors.
This.

Riddick was an awesome character to watch in one movie, but he's not really that deep. That's totally fine if there's only one movie, cause a stone cold badass killing stuff and being sarcastic is really fun to watch. Trying to strap on more character just looks like the patch job that it is.

Blayze2k

Dec 16, 2009
HELL YES.

Honestly, I liked Chronicles of Riddick about as much as I liked Pitch Black. For different reasons.
Chronicles reminded me of the Robert E. Howard Conan books. Where Conan is smart, and vicious, and not generally very nice or heroic, and the scale is fairly epic.

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
I'm not sure why everyone hated Chronicles so bad, I enjoyed it an enormous amount more than pitch black even if the story was a bit wonky and full of holes.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Chronicles of Riddick was awesome. Some people got butt hurt because Riddick was thrown into an epic fantasy, but I loved it.

It had over the top 1 liners, and puns but who cares. Those are funny. Some people just take Riddick too seriously. Let him be macho it's Vin Diesel we're talking about. He is a macho guy.

Kilgengoor

Sep 7, 2010
Hell. Fucking. YES.

I'm a serious Riddick fan. Not only because it's been a series of movies that shifted from one solitary film to a full saga that changed moods, characters and pacing only keeping the main protagonist in the style of the Alien saga, but because in my opinion is one of the best game-movie tie-ins I've seen in my life, not to mention said videogame it's the opposite of a gun'n'run FPS which follows the movie plots. Also, graphics were bitchin', dialogue was brilliant and Vin Diesel's voice makes me a little manlier with each syllabe.

Diesel's got kind of a love story with the Riddick universe too from what I've read and seen, and it's really nice to see an actor like a character without just trying to churn out as many movies as possible (think of Rambo) and with the dedication he's shown in everything Riddick related.

I really hope this film will be up to the other two, maybe follow the quality crescendo the series has experimented in these last years.

Dr Gonzo

Aug 19, 2009
This dick seems to be speaking for everyone when he says the second one was bad. People like that annoy me intensely. There are some of us who enjoyed it...

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
Why would I want to forget Chronicles ever happened?
I enjoyed that movie as much as the first.

Riddick is definatley a character,that was suggested in the end of the second movie,has alot further to go.
If you were to plot Riddicks progress in a Joseph Campbell 'Heros Journey' ark,hes not even half way through his travels/trials yet.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Pitch Black was fairly good. Never saw Chronicles. Hopefully Vin can get out of his Fast and Furious rut and see some better movie roles.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I think the Pitch Black/Chronicles comparison suffers from the same thing as the Alien/Aliens one, being that the two movies pretty much had completely different genres. In this case, subcategories of sci-fi.

In Pitch Black and Alien, we have more of a horror setting. We have an ensemble of characters with no clear star of the show. Riddick was a mysterious character, but he wasn't the apparent focus of the film; with Ripley, she really didn't stand out from the rest of the cast until they all got killed off. In both movies, these groups face alien horrors they cannot understand, and as a result, get mauled. We get our flagship character through process of elimination.

Now, with Chronicles and Aliens, the horror seeps out. Significantly more action than their predecessors. Riddick's Badass certification from Pitch Black lingers, and he is clearly the star of the show through and through. A little less so with Aliens, but Ripley's experience with the Alien sets her apart from the marines, and things get filled with bullets by everybody. Here, the protagonists survive their ordeals and live to kick ass another day.

TL;DR - I liked both movies equally because I have difficulty comparing movies of different genres, preventing me from arbitrarily picking one over the other.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
Hell. Fucking. Yes.

Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick are two of my favorite movies. Never watched Dark Fury, though. Don't care much for japanamation. One thing, they need to find a way to connect Dark Athena to Pitch Black... I didn't sleep for a week trying to figure that one out...
I think theres plenty of space in that area. More games, perhaps?

Manatee Slayer

Apr 21, 2010
Incredibly pleased about this. I did enjoy Chronicles but as I clicked on the article I was hoping it would be more like Pitch Black.

I'm glad he isn't too bothered about the 'working for scale' thing, because I don't care a bit, since I work for actual minimum wage.

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
They just need to get rid of the "Riddick is the last of an ancient super-race. Hes the savior of humanity, blah blah blah." Pitch Black was awesome. It was a kickass horror thriller, with a kickass guy who was simply a human. IT was realistic and cool.

Now I liked the second film, im one of the few. But man, they wernt the same character, they might as well just have started a new franchise there. Furians and Necranomicons and Hellraiser 2 dead people, it was rediculous when trying to tie together the two films.

Bring it back to Pitch Black, realistic sci-fi with humans, not crazy alien races and star destroyer shit. Keep them seperate

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Vin Diesel just got bonus points in my book for this. I like when actors show some consideration for their roles and the fans.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Sounds like it could be awesome, always thought Riddick was pretty cool. But, now i have to wander how he can top 'killing someone with a tea cup', they're gonna have to get creative me-thinks.....I'm totally missing the point aren't I?