Vin Diesel's Dream Game Is an MMO

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Vin Diesel's Dream Game Is an MMO

Don't expect fast cars or furious gunfights in the Vin Diesel-funded Barca B.C.; the movie star is taking gamers to the violent world of ancient Europe.

In development at Diesel's personally funded development studio, Tigon, Barca B.C. will be set in 200 B.C., following the Punic Wars [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Punic_War] and life of Carthage [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carthage] military commander Hannibal.

"The reason why it's my dream game is because it is an MMO and -- remember you said funds were not an issue in this scenario, this is obviously a hugely expensive game -- but, it's a massively multiplayer online game where you create an avatar that lives in the reality of Hannibal Barca, the Punic Wars and life 200 B.C," explained Diesel.

"Where you would have avatars that you would invest -- it would be an RPG game -- and creating that ancient world as your backdrop. Creating an ancient world that is your 'Azeroth,'" hoped Diesel, who is clearly setting a high bar by establishing the comparison to Blizzard's unmatched MMO World of Warcraft. "That is probably my dream scenario."

Despite the cost of funding a project with a long development cycle (Diesel predicts the game will take another four years of work), he assured, "that is something very high on my priority list of games we're working on."

By opening his own studio and taking personal involvement in the development of the Chronicles of Riddick and Wheelman games featuring his voice-work and likeness, Diesel has established himself as an avid gamer and investor in the industry. If he's able to continue paying a staff to build a dream project with a long turnaround time, Tigon could be known as a studio where dreams truly come true.

"When we talk about dream case scenarios, man, I would love to play as a Carthaginian soldier 200 years before Christ. Sailing around the Mediterranean, that'd be pretty damn cool," said the actor. "If you could add some historical elements to it, the better."

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/vin-diesel-talks-about-his-dream-game-reveals-barca-b-c--124179.phtml]

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Hankage said:
An MMO, you say? Gee, that's about as unimaginative as every movie he's been in.
I dunno, I'm kind of impressed by his choice of setting. Dude is obviously a history buff.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
Also RPGs are sort of a long-time passion [http://www.ugo.com/channels/filmTv/features/thechroniclesofriddick/vindiesel.asp] of his.

Theo Samaritan

Jul 16, 2008
People have to bare in mind that the games he is involved with are actually pretty good, and hell I'd call Escape from Butcher Bay the best tie in game I'd ever played.

This guy gets a lot of flack from critics and co but he really is a smart bastard.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Hankage said:
An MMO, you say? Gee, that's about as unimaginative as every movie he's been in.
I dunno, I'm kind of impressed by his choice of setting. Dude is obviously a history buff.
setting looks nice,maybe he will brake the rules of mmos, like having a combat system that doesn't SUCK BALLS

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Logan Frederick said:
If he's able to continue paying a staff to build a dream project with a long turnaround time, Tigon could be known as a studio where dreams truly come true.
For really real? ;-)

RedDiablo

Nov 8, 2008
Seems like a pretty good idea. But I hope that they don't mess up the history part. I will nitpick if they put Julius Caesar in the game and mess up their history.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
pyromcr said:
is it just me, or is it that everyone has a game now???
Yeah, but Vin Diesel's been at it longer, and though I've heard that Dark Athena isn't as good as Escape from Butcher Bay, The Wheelman is supposed to be pretty good.

man-man

Jan 21, 2008
Gormourn said:
Oh damn, I caught the plague. /die

Is it just me or any historical MMO's would either become horribly boring (Because, come on, there will not be any epic weapons or armor, everything you can get would be sold by weaponcrafters/armorcrafters of sorts, there will not be any giant bosses, there will not be anything) or really, really, REALLY far away from real history.

And if you're making a historical game that has little to do with history, except for maybe a few names and cities, plus inspired clothes and setting in the game, then it's just easier to make it completely fictional and in a made up world, but copying whatever you like from real history and not having to follow up on the rest of the deal - the whole real history thing.
Some people might get a kick out of a bit of realism, and there have been a lot of very nasty weapons in human history... just line up a good selection of those and start a battle of epic proportions.

I know the time period isn't really medieval, but there is a reason why "going medieval on your ass" is an expression.

L33tsauce_Marty

Jun 26, 2008
First off I thought he would be the next 50 cent. But when he said that "to add historical elements" is a breakthrough for actors *laugh*.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
This actually sounds very promising. But that 4 year cycle really will kill the momentum. If its sales are related to him in any way, his movie career had better stay strong a long time from now.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Hankage said:
It doesn't sound... well... I...er

I admire his dreams and with his cash he could be the videogame Willy Wonka... But still... fuckin hannibal?

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
I love the fact that on The Escapist, people know who Hannibal is. On 90% of internet forums, people would think he was talking about doing an MMO featuring Silence of the Lambs. You all rock for being the smartest gamers on the web.

And Vin rocks for being the first D&D nerd to become an action star, but stay true to his nerd roots. They should name a class after him in D&D 4.0.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
I've always respected Vin Diesel. He's a decent actor and he's a dork like many of us. Cheers to him.