Virtual Property Can Help You Kill Your Wife

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Virtual Property Can Help You Kill Your Wife

The laws surrounding virtual property are trickier - and way more interesting - than you might think.

Read Full Article

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
That's.........complicated.

Although it was only a matter of time before all this was popularised, video games are just another medium.

Although a murder just for an expensive item? How expensive are we talking here?

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Susan Arendt would only hire a hitman with a bar code on the back of his head. One must have standards, after all.
What about one carrying a wallet that says "Bad Motherf*cker"?

Totenkopf

Mar 2, 2010
So... the lesson is:

Don't give people their money back if they sell ingame items for which they paid real cash, or they will hire assassins with that ingame items? Did I get this right?

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
So the gold spammers are a bunch of hitmen laundring money, what a shock!

One good point though, when law makes something really messy and overcomplicated means it's being commonplace, but boy they really overdo at times (even though they may have a point).

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
SnipErlite said:

Although it was only a matter of time before all this was popularised, video games are just another medium.

Although a murder just for an expensive item? How expensive are we talking here?
Well, keep in mind, this scenario depends on the ability to get real-world money back out of the game. One hopes nobody's going to off your wife in return for an epic mount alone.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
dogstile said:
Sounds really, really far fetched :p Ah well XD
No more far fetched than how money is typically laundered. If people are willing to strap wads of cash to themselves during flights to cross borders, they would certainly use an online game to obfuscate their exchange even further.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
SnipErlite said:

Well, keep in mind, this scenario depends on the ability to get real-world money back out of the game. One hopes nobody's going to off your wife in return for an epic mount alone.
Granted, although....looking at my wife...........hmm 0_O

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
So ... if your spouse gives you grief about playing too much of an MMO, you could theoretically use that game's in-game economy to finance a hit against them. If this wasn't, you know, legally and morally reprehensible, it would be genius.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
Id love to see someone pull off the worlds greatest bank robbery and get away with it cause they used WoW. That would be such a kick in the nuts for police.

I just realised I finally know what EVE is so money based for. Assassins I tells ya

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
I'd just like to point out: Project Entropia.

The in-game currency (PED) is, just like the real-world Yuan, pegged to the US$.

The whole scenario isn't so far fetched.

swordless

Mar 29, 2010
So your trying to hire someone to kill off your better half and you don't want her to find out?

Just turn on InPrivate browsing on Internet Explorer 8, do your thing, clickity click and no-one knows what youve been up to. Your secrets safe.

I'm a PC and you have my condolences.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
They're on to me...

What? Oh! I mean...

This concept of money laundering via videogames is pretty interesting. I wonder if there have been any documented cases of this?

No need to investigate a certain Civil Accountant in Spokane I imagine, though. Nothing fishy going on over here. Nosireebob.

Intersting how it seems like they are impling that Developers can be held responsible for that sort of thing. Don't those kind of transactions usually bind to an account? And then accounts are non-transferrable? How is a vendor responsible for what someone uses their services for? Are taxi drivers liable for dropping the hitman off at the house?