Visceral Proves Your Mom Hates Dead Space 2

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Visceral Proves Your Mom Hates Dead Space 2

Visceral Games performed a focus test for Dead Space 2 using subjects not typically in its demographic: Moms.

Gamers familiar with the horror and shooter genres would probably have a pretty standard reaction to Dead Space 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-2-Playstation-3/dp/B00309XHD0]. Visceral Games decided to take a look at what another sect of humanity thought of the game, just to get an idea of its broadened appeal. Apparently, "mothers" are not big fans.

At first I thought the focus test was a joke featuring actors, but I seem to be mistaken. Visceral Games really did subject over 200 moms from the "heart of conservative America" to scenes from Dead Space 2, and it went about as well as anyone could have expected.

The "most action-packed, violent, and disturbing" footage Dead Space 2 has to offer made many of the mothers jump in terror. "That is awful," one woman said. Another appeared to be posessed, saying: "Do you want to have fun... killing somebody?" While I think a couple of the moms enjoyed the footage, most of them said it broke their hearts, while one acknowledged: "I don't understand what's coming out of their mouth," speaking of the game's demonic vomit.

The strongest reaction to Dead Space 2 was from a woman that called the game a "dangerous, mind-numbing, mind-altering weapon." I wouldn't go that far, but it is a pretty scary game.

You'll be able to make your own mother think you're a possessed devil worshipper when Dead Space 2 is released for the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on January 25, 2011.

Spoon E11

Oct 27, 2010
Lol great. My mum can just about manage Bejweled. I wonder what she'd think of this.

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
It seems that Visceral decided to keep the Dante's Inferno marketing team around. I approve of this.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
LOL this was really funny XD

The EA team sure knows how to market games, but not so much in making them good...just mediocre.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Methinks that if you're marketing a Mature game meant to be played by adults, your target audience wouldn't give two shits if their moms approve or not.

Nice try anyway, Visceral. I'll be getting this regardless.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Best. Ad. Campaign. Ever.

Seriously, they took the very thing that most would use AGAINST video games, and used it to their advantage. Brilliant.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
OK, that was pretty brilliant.

I was already going to get this (I absolutely loved the original Dead Space), but this just cemented the purchase.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Am I the only one who would feel immature playing this game now? Like I'm just doing it to spite my parents? It makes me feel like some preteen who tries to be edgy just to get a rise out of people.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
God If only call of duty did this with blops, there might be less squeaking on my mic in TDM. I wonder if they had done the research far enough to see if they would have bought this game for their child beforehand, maybe there is some kind of misconception seemingly a lot of parents have with what M rated games are full of.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
My mum doesn't like Dead Space? Hang on a second...

*Dials Phone*

Mum. I heard that... Yes I know what time it is... I heard that you don't like Dead Space... don't try and deny it I read it online... Be that as it may I won't be coming over for dinner next weekend. Goodbye.

EDIT: They should have done the same thing with long time Nintendo fans and Metroid: Other M.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Thunderhorse31 said:
Methinks that if you're marketing a Mature game meant to be played by adults, your target audience wouldn't give two shits if their moms approve or not.

To be fair I think a large part of the target demographic is twelve year olds who revel in the notion of rebellion, but ironically need their mum to by the game.

Big Phil

May 4, 2010
Duh... "2000 Dead Space gamers were brought together and made do cooking, washing dishes and cleaning the house! They absolutely hated it! Go do your chores... and enjoy it!"

Balmong7

Apr 9, 2010
tigermilk said:
Thunderhorse31 said:

To be fair I think a large part of the target demographic is twelve year olds who revel in the notion of rebellion, but ironically need their mum to by the game.

I think this was a joke, and a damn good one at that.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
What the hell was the point of that?!

Seriously... couldn't they have done something better than prove that mothers don't like bloody horror games?