Visceral Proves Your Mom Hates Dead Space 2

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
I think I'm the only one who can safely say my mom would both find the ad funny, and probably wouldn't mind the game. She probably would have been frightened or grossed out, but she's super liberal and has seen me play terribly violent games before and doesn't mind at all.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
Oh god that's funny.
After the whole "mind numbing, mind altering, satanic weapon" part I realized that by conservative America, they meant the bible belt.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
god, someone needs to set the EA marketing director on fire, although the conservative america, satanic thing made me laugh, though

A Tasty Burger

Apr 16, 2010
lacktheknack said:
What the hell was the point of that?!

Seriously... couldn't they have done something better than prove that mothers don't like bloody HORROR games?
I gotta say it, I giggled.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I honestly don't get this.

I mean, it's not like it's showing off any real good qualities to the game, and they probably scarred the mothers and convinced them to never let their kids buy games at all. It just comes off as juvenile and childish.

I'm gonna have to give this advertising campaign a thumbs down. Sorry, Visceral, I love ya, but this was really just not dignified.

laxduck

Jul 12, 2010
dathwampeer said:
laxduck said:
scnj said:
I'm surprised at the amount of people taking this seriously. Pretty certain it's a joke designed to take the piss out of all the anti-video game organisations and such.
Is that somehow better? Is being immature and antagonistic towards people going to accomplish anything productive? Thunderhorse 31 had it right, if this was an ad towards a Mature audience then this is not how they would approach it because most of the people in that audience wouldn't give a rat's ass about their mom's approval of their gaming choices.
It's meant to be a joke. As in taken lightly.

I'm who it's marketed towards. the 18-30 market.

The whole 'mother' thing is making fun of the fact that mothers tend to dislike what we like. Addressing it like it's some sort of barometer of what is fun and cool.

I can't stress this part enough. It's for fun. Not meant to be taken seriously... Not even a little bit.
You act like I don't understand this. I do. I also understand that when an ad runs on national TV and lists the website as "yourmomhatesthis.com" that is antagonistic and not everyone will take it lightly. There has to be a level of responsibility here on the part of the company. If this was purely a viral ad campaign I wouldn't be saying anything but a Dead Space 2 and yesterday on national television, if I'm not mistaken during the NFL playoffs. That's not the time or place for this type of ad. On this kind of a forum, on the internet in general it's fine. I don't think it's funny at all but I've got nothing against it. On national TV when many families will be watching just isn't the place for an ad campaign feature the slogan "Your mom will hate this!"

The people who disagree with this ad don't lack an understanding of it, they just don't like it.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
This is ridiculously bad advertising and, in my opinion, has the potential to hurt the videogame industry.

Firstly, who the hell is this aimed to? It's an incredibly violent, mature game that shouldn't be given to children yet the impression I get from the use of mothers and the tag-line is a developer encouraging a younger market. This. Is. Bad.

And how does everybody who is posting about how awesome this advertising is feel about people like Jack Thompson, Michael Atkinson and any other person who spouts out 'videogames are murder simulators and nothing'-esque bullcrap? Because all advertising like this is going to do is add fuel to their misinformed fire.

Seriously, what a piece of absolute trash. They've made me actively not want to buy the game rather than the sense of belated apathy I previously felt.

laxduck

Jul 12, 2010
dathwampeer said:
If someone finds it in anyway offensive. Then they lack understanding of it.

Honestly.

People get riled up over the most mundane things. Isn't anyone happy unless they're making controversy where there is none?
If you put it in front of a national TV audience you are begging for someone to be offended by it. And honestly it shouldn't be hard to look at the ad from a different point of view than your own and see that. Think about a family watching a football game on a Saturday afternoon and her 12 year old now thinks this is the coolest thing ever. He's dying to have this game. Now either the mom has to be the bad guy and tell the kid he can't have the game or she has to cave and buy the M rated game for a kid who shouldn't be playing it.

It isn't a good ad for national television. Too large and varied of an audience for this type of advertising. Heck, if it was on G4 TV then I wouldn't even be saying all this. Look beyond yourself and your point of view and take into consideration all the other people in a national television audience.

Kurai Angelo

Oct 12, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
Am I the only one who would feel immature playing this game now? Like I'm just doing it to spite my parents? It makes me feel like some preteen who tries to be edgy just to get a rise out of people.
Yes you are. Get off your high horse, find the video funny and play the damn game.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Visceral Proves Your Mom Hates Dead Space 2
...and then they goatse'd your grandmother. Because.

Seriously, funny publicity stunt, but ultimately pointless. Are they just trying to feed the flames of the "games are evil" fires burning in the ignorant, myopic hearts of many in the Western world?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
dathwampeer said:
If someone finds it in anyway offensive. Then they lack understanding of it.

Honestly.

People get riled up over the most mundane things. Isn't anyone happy unless they're making controversy where there is none?
While I don't want to be a buzz killington here, I do have to say that what Visceral did here was kind of juvenile (assuming the women weren't actors). I mean, they've probably just stripped 200 people of their gaming rights and showed a bunch of mothers, who are not desensitized to this as we are, a bunch of gruesome images out of context.

Personally, I'd file that under "dick move", but that's just me.

Save us.A7X

Apr 15, 2009
*facepalms* Great job EA, you've once again made gamers look like a bunch of immature idiots, just with one advert this time too, you must be proud.