Visit Sunny Chernobyl - We Have Wolves Now!

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
vallorn said:
There's also places like the Red Forest where leaf litter and dead trees aren't decaying properly because the radiation in those areas has inhibited the bacteria and fungi that commonly act as part of the decay process. This means that a fire is more likely in these areas because of the mass of leaf litter and dead wood everywhere. And a fire would be BAD because it would pull up the radioactive elements that settled in the red forest and throw them into the air again.
oh shit

What could be done about that? Dump a bunch of sand on it?

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Vicarious Reality said:
vallorn said:
There's also places like the Red Forest where leaf litter and dead trees aren't decaying properly because the radiation in those areas has inhibited the bacteria and fungi that commonly act as part of the decay process. This means that a fire is more likely in these areas because of the mass of leaf litter and dead wood everywhere. And a fire would be BAD because it would pull up the radioactive elements that settled in the red forest and throw them into the air again.
oh shit

What could be done about that? Dump a bunch of sand on it?
The Red Forest is:

So there's a lot of ground to cover, the greyed out area shows the main spill of radioactive dust from the reactor, you can see the healthy forest on the left where the dust didn't spill.

For this reason simply dumping sand over it isn't a very good response, the sand would settle through the litter and you would still have the problem when the trees shed their leaves or die and cover the sand in a new layer of leaf litter and dead wood.

Really the only thing we can do is monitor it closely which people are doing, it has to be left to recover so that decay can happen properly. Other than that, any fix we could currently apply would be either temporary or do more harm than good in the long term.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
008Zulu said:
I will just sing "I don't want to set the world on fire..." as I walk along, hoping the mutated house cats (known as Deathclaws) don't jump out and attack me.
Don't worry. The cats won't get ya. :D

xD The Chameleons will though.

OT: Good to hear the wild life is doing alright in Chernobyl.
Would be cool to hear more about this radiotrophic fungi.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I recognize that place! I had to hold off an entire Russian battalion while my C.O. was crippled, but he could still use his rifle. Good times, good times...

In reality, the place must be pretty interesting. Seeing wild animals just wandering around buildings and streets must be a sight to see.

kat-pottz

Jan 25, 2011
Wait... animals taking over a place where humans used to live after a disaster? And the animals have to worry about radiation poisoning?! Guys I think Tokyo Jungle is real.

Sillarra

I have no idea how I got here.
Aug 14, 2014
In regards of the radioactive fungi, I guess whenever we as humans fucked up, nature will always find a way to fix it.

It would be good to have the radiation finally disappears and make the area habitable to humans again, although for now it might just be the haven for these animals to escape human development and live in the one area that are too risky for us to enter.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
008Zulu said:
Imp Emissary said:
Don't worry. The cats won't get ya. :D

xD The Chameleons will though.
Yeah, the official backstory isn't as funny as the rumour of them being mutated house cats.
I disagree, but look at the bright side.

>:D There could still be mutated house cats!

:/ I should have mentioned that in the "What do you want in Fallout 4?" thread.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Charcharo said:
People, Roadside Picnic is a different IP to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. :p
I dun care! I want mah Misery 2.2 already to sedate my rage pent up from not getting my STALKER 2 fix.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Charcharo said:
Saulkar said:
Charcharo said:
People, Roadside Picnic is a different IP to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. :p
I dun care! I want mah Misery 2.2 already to sedate my rage pent up from not getting my STALKER 2 fix.
But... MISERY aint even close to the best STALKER mods :p
What is/are your favourite (combination?)? My three favourite are Misery, the Zone Rearmed, and a mod that adds something like 75 extra full-length songs to the radios.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
RedRockRun said:
This should be the next STALKER mod: No mutants, no artifacts, boring real life.
And the animals keep mostly away from you. But it would be neat if the human A.I. would react to the animal A.I.. Try to sneak, startle a bunch of something, people get cautious.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Cowabungaa said:
And that's why Fallout sometimes annoys me, especially Fallout 3. No Bethesda, Washington and its surrounding areas won't be a dead, grey void two centuries after a nuclear explosion. Now start making interesting environments already.
I would like to point out that in the alternate universe that Fallout takes place in, nuclear weapons were specifically designed to not only explode, but to make as large an area as possible as radioactive as possible. Think the Doomsday Device in Dr. Strangelove, but on a smaller scale.

Source: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Nuclear_weapons