Vita's Remote Play And LTE Used To Access PS4 10 Miles Away

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Vita's Remote Play And LTE Used To Access PS4 10 Miles Away

You'd need a pretty steady connection to pull something like this off, but it is still pretty cool.

One of the PS4's niftiest features is the ability to "remote play" in conjunction with the PS Vita. It essentially works the same as the Wii U's off-screen play, where you can stream your PS4's gameplay to your Vita whenever you need to go to the John or your mum/wife wants to use the TV. While the intent is for the feature to be used within your own home, with LTE bringing blazing-fast wireless speeds to mobile devices, one man has decided to put remote play to the test.

In the video above, he is able to play his PS4 games at 30 FPS without too much noticeable latency, despite being over 10 miles away from his home. In theory, he could be halfway across the country and still be able to produce the same results (provided he was still able to get a stable LTE connection).

Keep in mind that this is something you probably shouldn't be doing unless you have some kind of unlimited plan for your cellphone, as using remote play eats up quite a substantial amount of data (as you can imagine).

The PS Vita's remote play feature works with all PS4 games, and a selection of PS3 games, and is available to everyone right now (provided you update your Vita to the latest firmware).

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOJ5IZ3-rEw]

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
That's fantastic! Hang on. I just had a thought. I'm with virgin BB and they are now supplying the London Underground with wifi and as a customer it's free to me.... So I "could" play PS4 games on the tube. Aright!

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Fan-fucking-tastic!

I just wish more PS3 games would have supported it. It's a cool feature but was underutilized which is a shame because it could have helped with Vita sales in the first year.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
It seems Sony really wanted to one up Nintendo's game pad. This makes the entire pad on the Wii U seem like totally obsolete technology.

If this is even half as good as he makes it out to be I'm very much looking forward to being able to use this feature when I eventually pick up a PS4. Waiting on that iDOLM@STER3 announcement, Scamco...

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
VanQ said:
It seems Sony really wanted to one up Nintendo's game pad. This makes the entire pad on the Wii U seem like totally obsolete technology.

If this is even half as good as he makes it out to be I'm very much looking forward to being able to use this feature when I eventually pick up a PS4. Waiting on that iDOLM@STER3 announcement, Scamco...
kind of?

for the most part, this only means that everybody who doesn't have a horrible internet connection (and is paying for an unlimited plan, mind you) is going to be able to use it this way

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
That guy's LTE was only 13 down which leaves me hope that this streaming is easily do-able. I only have to question how much his 13 up has to do with. Regardless, I've already tested the streaming in my house by playing Shadow of the Colossus on my vita and was very pleased with the results. I can't wait to the play the next Fallout while pooping!

VanQ said:
It seems Sony really wanted to one up Nintendo's game pad. This makes the entire pad on the Wii U seem like totally obsolete technology
Its especially funny when Nintendo fans would claim "no, no, no, the vita streaming will work poorly. The game pad and Wii U was designed for streaming." Its not like any device with a decent wifi ratio can send and receive data or anything.

weirdguy said:
kind of?

for the most part, this only means that everybody who doesn't have a horrible internet connection (and is paying for an unlimited plan, mind you) is going to be able to use it this way
Or you could use wifi. I don't exactly play video games in the middle of the woods very often but I could use the 20 mb down at my school or work. Hell, I get 10 mb down and 1 up at my house and stream and remote my pc all the time