Volition Announces Open-World Action Game Agents of Mayhem

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Something Amyss said:
shrekfan246 said:
Then they turned Gat Out of Hell into a full game and... eh.
Gat's original price was like, 20 dollars, right? Or 15? It was priced as an expansion, just sold in a package that allowed you to play it alone.
Well, given the fact that it doesn't focus on The Boss I don't really consider the distinction between stand-alone expansion and spin-off to be worth making, though it is in fairness marketed as the former.

Still, as what amounts to the "final" closing bit of Saints Row, it just really didn't do enough to catch my interest in the first place (also it's currently the same price as IV or $5 cheaper than IV + all of its DLC; I know it's a year and a half old vs. IV's approaching three years, but still).

I like the look of this, I just hope it's not the same old gameplay style. I never have been particularly fond of Grand Theft Auto's kind of gameplay. Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs are just about the only ones that have ever managed to hold my interest.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'm getting quite a few flashbacks here:

-Um, why is the "Tomorrow Tech Expo" on a fixed billboard sign? That sounds like a temporary event.

-I'm not sure why you need to block out the sun to launch an attack, you're not going for subtlety.

-Trucks carrying robots that deploy to/upon attack - I, Robot anyone?

-Guy with staff looks like Rath from Battleborn. In fact, a lot of the trailer seems to be harkening to the aesthetic and tone of more recent "hero shooters" (Battleborn, Overwatch, etc.)

-There's sky pirates in this setting? SKY PIRATES?

...okay then. 0_0

-Is it just me, or does Ishmael look like the demo man from TF2?

-Oh no, it's Megatron! Or The Fallen I suppose.

-Ultor? Huh. I'd go on a shared universe thing, but since Red Faction belongs to Nordic now, that probably isn't going to happen.

-Agents who tear up the place and have a cinematic trailer based on said collatoral damage...Overstrike, maybe (not Fuse, OVERSTRIKE)?

-And there's the Elizabeth some claim her to be.

All in all, I'm being more snarky than I have to be, but I can't help but be reminded of other games that have come out in recent times, and games that have sold themselves better. It seems to be trying to go for the "badass" vibe of Borderlands/Battleborn, but isn't going all the way. Maybe I'm being a fanboy, but Overwatch, as far as first impressions go, still did a better job of winning me over. I'll take honest charm over being "badass" any day.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
"Ahoy, ************!" is just so epic.
I'm curious as to how this will play out. It'll be kinda weird not playing as a created character. Unless you do, which will be pretty awesome.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
ffronw said:
Greatttt... I get to babysit a group of people you mean. And even if I don't, the individual characters have to be nerfed sufficiently for the game to actually present a challenge. Booooooo...

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
It didn't really do it for me. There were bits and pieces that were entertaining such as "Ahoy ************" and the stunt double, but that's it. Also I think that they're really shooting themselves in the foot not making this co-op. Part of the replay value of the Saints Row series and, at least to me, what made Borderlands playable at all was playing it with friends.

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Hmm looks interesting, it has a certain edge to it. It also does feel a little bit off, maybe because there was not enough build up for the other characters?

I am definitely keeping an eye on this one, dev notes and such. I sorely miss SR series style games with the wonderful humor and poking fun of everything heh.