Vote Now for Film Fest's Viewer's Choice

Kelly Helder

Apr 19, 2010
Vote Now for Film Fest's Viewer's Choice

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/4thAnnualFilmFestival/]

Welcome to the 4th Annual The Escapist Film Festival Viewer's Choice. You can now view all of this years entries and vote for your favorites daily!

Voting is now open for the Film Festival Viewer's Choice! To vote for your favorite, simply click on the video of your choice and click on the "vote" button below the player.

When voting, you will notice the exciting new dynamic to Film Fest called First Cut - a group of videos highlighted due to the quality of their production, writing and creative ideas. These videos will also feature commentary from a panel of esteemed critics.

The panel of critics are:
Graham Stark, LRR & winner of Film Festival Grand Prize, 2008
Paul Saunders, LRR & winner of Film Festival Grand Prize, 2008
Michael Shanks, winner of Film Festival Grand Prize, 2008
Bob "MovieBob" Chipman
Jon Etheridge, Doraleous & Associates
Brent Triplett, Doraleous & Associates
Tony Schnur, Doraleous & Associates
Nate Panning, Doraleous & Associates

Voting will be open through November 8th, so tell your friends, get your votes in and help your favorite win bragging rights throughout the web video community!

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
The guys behind D& A are gonna critique our things? Awesome! I hope those guys enjoy my cartoon to some extent! (Mines No 27, Or Page 2, Row 2, Column 3)

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
O dear scrolling through the screengrabs did not yield much hope. I predict much failing. Some looked like they at least had a decent camera though so maybe a doomsday arcade quality will pop up from the presumed trash heap.

ALso first cut I saw no indication...

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Certainly the most professional looking batch yet, but not many which I genuinely enjoyed enough to keep coming back to.

That said, the third video on the first page has potential, and the Medusa joke in the 16th one on the 2nd page made me laugh.

As a side note: Any chance you guys could add some names to the videos on the list to make it a bit easier to discuss them? "3rd page, 2nd column, 5th row" gets a bit cumbersome.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
So... many... I'll probably have to go by the thumbnails before watching. I know that isn't really fair but dam, it's a video avalanche.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Sweet, I hope there's some pure gold to be found !
And also, quite an awesome bunch of critics you got there. Good to see Shanks there.

EDIT: also, are we supposed to talk about the videos here or some other thread or just stfu and vote?

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
So far, Trailer Master (4th thumbnail in the first row of the first page) had promise at it's end (where he breaks down the details of the game, as well as talks about the trailer as a whole), but was a rather weak version of Unskippable otherwise (one guy doing a sort of Let's Play voiceover for a trailer doesn't compare to 2 of LRR's cast going over an opening cutscene).
-Yay or nay? Nay. Sadly, it looks like this is too close to unskippable, with a lot less of the fun. Plus it's about trailers rather than cutscenes, meaning you'll actually be more likely to pay attention to the trailer than the voice (especially since his voice is too soft in some scenes). The attempts at humor were lacking somewhat, and he just seemed a bit halfhearted in his voiceover, letting the trailer do a lot of the work here. His almost Extra Credits-like breakdown at the end would be nice to see more of, but it seems a bit too short to really matter. He could probably do a lot better with practice as well as maybe another person or more interesting research, as giving out tidbits about games is a great idea for these videos, but for right now, he doesn't bring anything fresh enough or funny enough for me to give this a recommendation.

Yes, I probably will be going through as many videos as I can in future edits of this post.

shadow946

Jul 22, 2009
Anyone know when we'll be seeing the 'first cut' feature, or where it will be?

I really really hope they do mine :D

steverivers

Jun 7, 2010
Lords Graham and Paul of Funnyshire are gonna be judging? Ooooh im honored!
And the Doraleous guys too? Damned that's a quality judging panel.

The Josh

Oct 24, 2010
Damn, I knew we shouldn't have ripped on Graham in our video [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-film-festival-2010/2271-Josh-Chad-Cooperators]. At least we toned it down a bit from the original cut...

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
Oh gods, there are millions of them. I'm not sure I'll be able to actually watch all of them before then end >_>

APSunder

Filmmaker
May 25, 2010
Check us out! Second vid, first column, second page. Also, does not being in first cut mean anything?

wagglelance

Oct 3, 2010
They've been updating the videos throughout the day so keep checking back on new things. Such as the first cut had just popped up.

shadow946

Jul 22, 2009
The First Cut banners have appeared but on all of the videos on the 1st page, and there doesn't seem to be any commentary available. I guess they're just testing it?

talenos

Dec 12, 2009
They haven't even been up a whole day yet, so it might just be they haven't had time to do it yet.

Also, yay for making First Cut!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Right now "First Cut" doesn't seem to mean much of anything. You might actually want to start from the back. (Full disclosure - my entry is on page 3 right now ("Understanding the EULA"), so obviously I have a vested interest in saying as much.)

First impressions:

"Creature Capture Masters" has very nice production values and is the only one so far to actually make me laugh aloud.

"Nintendobo", like last year, is weirdly fascinating, but I suspect as an ongoing premise runs the risk of increasing the drug use and suicide rate among viewers of the Escapist.

"Trailer Master" is very similar to "Unskippable", only not as funny. Also, it doesn't quite seem to recognize that the creators of the trailer are perfectly aware of the silliness of the "chicken as rebel hero" metaphor.

"Opinionated Reviews" is long on complaints and short on specific reasons for those complaints. With some polish it has potential; as it stands I wouldn't feel a strong impulse to tune in weekly or monthly to hear someone say things are awful. I have plenty of friends I can turn to for that.

"Tales From the Table" got a few smiles, but the "Role-Playing gamers are a bunch of socially retarded nerds" schtick is getting a little old. Well-shot, acted, and edited, though.

"Game Science" seems like a decent premise, but the script never really "clicked" for me. Some smiles, but nothing that astounded me with its cleverness.

"We Find this Funny"... I'm so happy for you. It's nice that you enjoy spending time with your friends. *Ahem* Moving on...

"The Equation" has decent production values and an interesting visual style, but it's a little rough and the audio needs work. It doesn't seem to have offered up enough to give the viewer a good sense of what the rest of it might be like; it's like its needlessly vague for the sake of not spoiling future episodes that may never arrive.