VP Joe Biden Claims "No Restriction" Against Taxing Violent Games

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
VP Joe Biden Claims "No Restriction" Against Taxing Violent Games

In a meeting on a gun control Joe Biden told attendees there's "no legal reason" the government can't tax violent media makers.

Sometimes the American political process just feels like a race on a round track. It doesn't matter how hard or fast you run you just keeping passing the same scenery. This is especially the case with videogames which, despite their ever growing proliferation in the everyday lives of average American citizen, consistently fall under fire from politicians that either don't understand the medium or want some easy points with worried demographics.

The latest offender would seem to be Vice President Joe Biden. During a meeting with faith-based leaders discussing gun control, the subject of videogames came up. One of the people attending, Franklin Graham of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, put forward the idea that the government should consider special taxes for media companies that produce violent content and videogames. Biden, according to another attendee, reportedly said there's "no restriction on the ability to do that, there's no legal reason why they couldn't." Biden then expressed his desire to see further comprehensive studies examining the effects of violent games on developing brains.

There are some important things to note here. This is largely other people claiming that Biden said something, rather than direct quotes from the Vice President himself. That being the case Biden hasn't denied any of the claims and no one has come out with any reasons for the attendees to lie about the goings-on of the meeting. In other words, this seems legit. That being the case, there are fairly big holes in Biden's logic.

A tax on violent would equate to the government placing restrictions on the types of speech a person can engage in, essentially punishing companies that choose to produce violent content with taxes. This tends to be big a no-no as far as the First Amendment is concerned, and as we all know, videogames are protected under the First Amendment. So sayeth <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111300-Supreme-Court-Rules-in-Favor-of-Videogames>the Supreme Court, an entity that Vice President Biden is somewhat beholden to. In short, you actually can't do that Joe, so you might want to stop telling people you can.

Source: <a href=http://www.politico.com/politico44/2013/05/biden-gun-control-to-wait-for-immigration-163361.html>Politico

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
They should tax violent computers next. And get a Vice President called Dave. And have all law making done by voice command.

Yeah but no but. It's really, really, really boring when Washington want's to legislate to control, or in this case, tax the pretend guns instead of the real ones.

bfgmetalhead

Aug 4, 2010
I love being an Englishman at times, one reason is that we don't have to deal with this. Non-religious government ftw.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
It's basically the legalist reason out there. Government can't discriminate based on content. I'm surprised he hasn't done a retraction or something to appear like he knows this.

Saving face is required for politicians, isn't it?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
StewShearer said:
Biden then expressed his desire to see further comprehensive studies examining the effects of violent games on developing brains.
I always thought a physical bullet would do more harm than a digital one... I guess im just weird like that.

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
Mr. Biden, there's no legal reason that I can't fart in your general direction and wave my hand to push it into your face either, but that doesn't mean I SHOULD do it.

zaheela

Oct 8, 2010
I Hope that it was just some numbnut putting words into Biden's mouth; I've had no grudge/opinion of Biden coloring my view on his statements, and I really wish I don't have too.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
If there is "no legal reason" why they can't tax violent video games then there should be "no legal reason" why we can't tax other forms of violent or offensive media, I vote for the Bible it has plenty of violence and a pretty fair amount of fucking in it.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Meanwhile, in New Orleans another shooting happened. Three guys gunned Mother day parade participants...With real world guns... that shoot real world bullets... at real world people.

Americans, question: what percentage of American citizens are against gun restriction? I just want to understand whether your politicians are idiots (or pretending to be ones), or they just don't want to lose votes?

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
VMK said:
Meanwhile, in New Orleans another shooting happened. Three guys gunned Mother day parade participants...With real world guns... that shoot real world bullets... at real world people.

Americans, question: what percentage of American citizens are against gun restriction? I just want to understand whether your politicians are idiots (or pretending to be ones), or they just don't want to lose votes?
The reason why serious gun control is unconstitutional is literally right next to the reason why a "violent media tax" is unconstitutional.

Pogilrup

Apr 1, 2013
If the VP actually tries to get this thing passed.

Don't be surprise when countries like China and Russia finally implements free speech. With heavy taxes on certain subjects.