VR Omni-Directional Treadmill Lets Players Run and Gun

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
mad825 said:
Can we just get over this? Please? For the love of god? After a long hard day who on the flying fuck would even find the effort to give this a try?

It's a gimmick. It seems cool now but when you've just dealt with shit for the day, you're going spend several of your free hours running on the spot like a prat while also screwing-up your legs.
Yeah it's a gimmick, but personally I see it as another step towards the virtual reality I myself desire. Granted we still have a LONG way to go to get close to the four requirements for THAT level of virtual reality, but hey, a step is a step.

Besides... imagine playing something like Myst with this. Or maybe Slender. Wait, actually, no, not Slender... too many of these harnesses would break from people jumping out of their skin and knocking the whole thing over... might break a limb or two as well.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
baconsarnie said:
Haven't we already seen this setup? With skyrim or something?
Reported here on the escapist, the focus may have been on a different element but i'm sure i've already seen it.
yes but that one was just a demo of the treadmill in this one it combines the 3 things that pushing more immersion (the rift the treadmill mill and the gun someone else was working on)
CORRECTION: looking back on the video he use the gun on a crysis warhead video He had a gun controller retrating (maybe they wanted to show it combined with the rift I dunno)
O.T. I really want one so bad

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
mad825 said:
Can we just get over this? Please? For the love of god? After a long hard day who on the flying fuck would even find the effort to give this a try?

It's a gimmick. It seems cool now but when you've just dealt with shit for the day, you're going spend several of your free hours running on the spot like a prat while also screwing-up your legs.
If anything this will help younger generations shape up and not end up the size of houses as some gamers tend to get. Just because you wouldn't use it personally doesn't mean it's a gimmick. I could totally see myself using this as a means for cardio exercise while having fun, cause I can tell you right now running on a treadmill for an hour with music/tv is hella boring.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
I'm hyped as fuck for the Oculus, but I don't think we need any more VR than that until we can go full Matrix.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Okay, that looked really goddamn cool.

And I would love if this became a big thing. The only reason I don't exercise is because it's just really...boring to me. And the only active sports I like no one I know wants to play it. Seriously, this would be great, I could keep in shape without it being mind-numbingly boring.

Now just make one that turns webpages into obstacle courses where you can only see the full thing once you complete it and I'll be in peak physical condition in no time.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Someone please tell me if this thing is gonna be on the market, I know I want one of those!

though admittingly, I wish you could play the Bethesda sandboxes like Skyrim, or Fallout: New Vegas.

Or heck, maybe the next Elder Scrolls or Fallout will be available on that thing?

with the right amount of tweeking, I bet you'd get the ultimate gaming adventure!

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
This is really cool and I really want one (I'll no longer have to decide between going on a run or video games), but it does raise some questions.

Does this mean, as I hope it does, that developers will finally focus on getting full 100% fields of vision.

What happens when it tips over, as I'm sure is possible.

What happens if I hook up Rock Band? How about Farm Simulator?

Won't this give more ammunition to all those people who claim video games train murders?

That said, I can't wait to use Skyrim as it was intended: As a hiking sim.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
mad825 said:

Second that. Might be fun for a bit, but really, the point of playing videogames sorta involves not having to run around.

Hypno-Sheep

Jan 25, 2012
that looks really cool but i would use it more for games like skyrim or mirrors edge. I dont really play fps games that much anymore. looks like a fantastic opportunity to get more people into an exercise regime. I bet it isnt the cheapest setup though.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
...This is actually going to make me buy an Oculus Rift. Now that I can complete the VR setup I want it, and I want it BAD.

Hell better start putting on their parkas, because a childhood dream about to be achieved! I have waited so long for gaming to reach this point, I actually have goosebumps right now.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
So let me get this straight.

1) You can't jump - demonstrator didn't even try to
2) You can't run backwards - demonstrator didn't attempt this either
3) You can't strafe sideways, something as complex as circle-strafing is definitely out of the question
4) There is just no way this is as responsive as a keyboard/gamepad
5) Most likely costs more than people's kidneys

I get this was just a demonstration, but can someone PLEASE explain to me why people are wetting their pants over such an incredibly primitive control scheme which doesn't let you do shit? TF2 was possibly the worst example to use considering how much movement matters in that game.

"Think of the possibilities!" is what people say, conveniently forgetting about how fucking terrible motion controls were (Wii/Kinect/Move) and how quickly the game industry moved on from those.

Don't get me wrong, VR has some incredible uses - 3D design and CAD artists are fully justified to wet themselves over this because this is the ultimate tool in giving you an idea of the true "scale/depth" of objects and environments, far better than a flat screen could. If you want a new house built you can use VR to take a virtual tour through the rooms, etc.

But gaming? Hahahaha, no. Remember folks, smaller movements = more efficient controls = BETTER.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
I'm just going to laugh if someone tries a combat roll in that thing...

It has to be said, being able to actually walk in order to tell the video game to walk is something that would interest me, if - and only if - the system was responsive. If it's anything like the kinect... I'm outta here.

My other concern is that at least with a video game I have peripheral vision to tell me if someone has walked into the room and wants to talk to me, or if my dog wants to go out, or if the house is on fire... With this set up, I'd feel far too... removed from the real world.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
Arcades. For the love of god people, ARCADES! This has no place in a domestic setting, it should be used in motherfunster, asswhoopin', badass as they get ARCADES!

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Okay, I just decided it would probably be good for my health if I got one of those omni things.
It would give me a reason to run.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
synobal said:
That + kinect so I can shout when I need a dispenser here and a wii mote for backstabing and I'd have so much fun.
Get Razer Hydra, it a wiimote like control with more degree of control and better accuracy, and since the end of the two handle is somewhat pointy, look more suited for stabbing to me.

Also why waste money on a kinect just to shout ? Buy a good microphone at that price. =p

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Yuuki said:

3) You can't strafe sideways, something as complex as circle-strafing is definitely out of the question
4) There is just no way this is as responsive as a keyboard/gamepad
5) Most likely costs more than people's kidneys

I get this was just a demonstration, but can someone PLEASE explain to me why people are wetting their pants over such an incredibly primitive control scheme which doesn't let you do shit? TF2 was possibly the worst example to use considering how much movement matters in that game.

"Think of the possibilities!" is what people say, conveniently forgetting about how fucking terrible motion controls were (Wii/Kinect/Move) and how quickly the game industry moved on from those.

Don't get me wrong, VR has some incredible uses - 3D design and CAD artists are fully justified to wet themselves over this because this is the ultimate tool in giving you an idea of the true "scale/depth" of objects and environments, far better than a flat screen could. If you want a new house built you can use VR to take a virtual tour through the rooms, etc.

But gaming? Hahahaha, no. Remember folks, smaller movements = more efficient controls = BETTER.
Yes, but bigger movement mean no need to go to the gym. (Which I hate, thus why I do martial art instead).

Give me a VR Road Rash and I will gladly go against motorcycle on my bicycle. =p

thaluikhain said:
mad825 said:

Second that. Might be fun for a bit, but really, the point of playing videogames sorta involves not having to run around.
I thought the point was to have fun and pass time.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
synobal said:
josemlopes said:
Now its going to be easy to identify gamers
Yes but what is going to happen to high school cliques when gamers become the jocks? With their superior hand eye coordination, and amazing stamina and reaction times?
A new super race of superhumans are created.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
iniudan said:
Yes, but bigger movement mean no need to go to the gym. (Which I hate, thus why I do martial art instead).
If you think this VR treadmill is even a fraction as useful as a full-blown gym or martial arts for exercise...I really hope you were joking :S

I get that this thing this can at least help with fitness because it is better than sitting down - but that's EXACTLY what people said about the Wii. Any fitness enthusiast is going to LAUGH at the Wii Fit and any gamer is going to LAUGH at it too, because it's a joke in the eyes of both groups and satisfies neither of them.

When you game, game hard. When you exercise, exercise hard.

The problem with things like VR and motion controls are, is that the closer we get to "realism" the more obvious the disconnect becomes. Call it the uncanny valley of game controls.

One of the biggest issues is using a controller that doesn't suit/favor the game - I'm not going to use a steering wheel to play an arcade fighter, a keyboard to play a flight simulator, or a treadmill + VR headset to play a first person shooter. That's the harsh truth.
A mouse allows me to be vastly more precise than my whole body waving a pseudo-gun around, with the benefit of letting me sit down and relax while my hand/fingers do all the work. After all, evolution designed the human hand with precision and intricacy in mind.

The only thing that works better than fingers is the brain itself, and the day we'll be able to fully control games with just our our BRAINS (zero delay) is the day that all other forms of controllers can be done away with.

Look at Dance Dance Revolution, now there is an excellent example of a controller fits the game and theme. I've seen some pretty amazing shit from DDR fanatics XD

But see, if you handed that girl a controller and was told to input those moves with her fingers, DDR would become jokingly easy for almost anyone. The entire challenge revolves around using your feet to do all the work and compete with others for high score - i.e. it's an arcade game.

So that's where I can see this VR "shooter" setup working in gaming...arcades! The place where people play Time Crysis with plastic guns despite everyone knowing nothing is more accurate than a mouse :p

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Yuuki said:

As far as the first one, there's no reason to assume you can't control jumping with a simple button press. As far as the second and third points, we can't really assume that either since we're being shown a demonstration using a game that wasn't made for this. In fact, compared to the feat of making an omni-directional treadmill, implementing backwards and sideways movement should be relatively simple.