VR Omni-Directional Treadmill Lets Players Run and Gun

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Yuuki said:
So let me get this straight.

1) You can't jump - demonstrator didn't even try to
2) You can't run backwards - demonstrator didn't attempt this either
3) You can't strafe sideways, something as complex as circle-strafing is definitely out of the question
4) There is just no way this is as responsive as a keyboard/gamepad
5) Most likely costs more than people's kidneys

I get this was just a demonstration, but can someone PLEASE explain to me why people are wetting their pants over such an incredibly primitive control scheme which doesn't let you do shit?
The FAQ on the Virtuix website [http://www.virtuix.com/frequently-asked-questions/] states that strafing will be possible with the Omni. Assuming that Virtuix isn't lying, then the support for strafing most likely means that the Omni can also support backwards movement as well.

Also, why can't people be excited for something that comes so close to overcoming the Uncanney Valley of VR? For years we've had VR technology that has never even come close to matching our expectations. With the Occulus Rift and the Virtuix Omni, we are getting extremely close to something that actually does come close to our perceptions of VR.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
I don't really like exercising in a gym, so I only do the occasional walk when I feel like it once in 2 months.

I'm not fat, but I'm not really well trained. Some walking on that thing would be great for me :) I can see it work great in single player games too, like STALKER or Skyrim.

I believe they're planning to make this affordable for normal consumers, so let's wait it out.

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
William Dickbringer said:
baconsarnie said:
Haven't we already seen this setup? With skyrim or something?
Reported here on the escapist, the focus may have been on a different element but i'm sure i've already seen it.
yes but that one was just a demo of the treadmill in this one it combines the 3 things that pushing more immersion (the rift the treadmill mill and the gun someone else was working on)
CORRECTION: looking back on the video he use the gun on a crysis warhead video He had a gun controller retrating (maybe they wanted to show it combined with the rift I dunno)
O.T. I really want one so bad
As long as its slightly different.

It does look like a sweet piece of kit.

TheKwertyeweyoppe

Jan 1, 2010
ScruffyMcBalls said:
Arcades. For the love of god people, ARCADES! This has no place in a domestic setting, it should be used in motherfunster, asswhoopin', badass as they get ARCADES!
I couldn't agree with you more. Maybe I should clone myself, just so they can agree with you. I can't think of a better way to bring arcades back. And just think! You could combine arcades and gyms!

Chubbs99

Dec 29, 2009
synobal said:
josemlopes said:
Now its going to be easy to identify gamers
Yes but what is going to happen to high school cliques when gamers become the jocks? With their superior hand eye coordination, and amazing stamina and reaction times?
Thats an eay one... Video Game High School.

But as others have said, to lazy to want to run around in games. I think the Rift will be all i need for a while.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Yuuki said:
Don't get me wrong, VR has some incredible uses - 3D design and CAD artists are fully justified to wet themselves over this because this is the ultimate tool in giving you an idea of the true "scale/depth" of objects and environments, far better than a flat screen could. If you want a new house built you can use VR to take a virtual tour through the rooms, etc.

But gaming? Hahahaha, no. Remember folks, smaller movements = more efficient controls = BETTER.
That is only true if you define "gaming" as a strictly limited list of current gameplay genres that demand the kind of "efficiency" that you are requesting here.

No, this won't be the best system for competitive shooters, or for third person tactical RPGs, or whatever. But if it provides a more "immersive" gaming experience than those, then I can easily see the new form of interactive digital entertainment that is growing around VR outgrow old gaming as a whole, regardless of how efficiently those were doing their own thing.

First person games are also less "efficient" than 2D side-scrollers, as you have a lower field of view, you can't always see where you are jumping. Yet when the technology was ready, it was not first-person gaming that needed to justify it's efficiency, but 2D games had to struggle to stay relevant against greater immersion.

Immersion is always a more significant demand of progress, than simply subserviently bending to an established gameply genre's arbitary ideas of efficiency.

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
baconsarnie said:
Haven't we already seen this setup? With skyrim or something?
Reported here on the escapist, the focus may have been on a different element but i'm sure i've already seen it.
I think you may be right...

Anyway; If you want other options: If you have a spare football field, for example, you can get some fresh air, whilst gaming. :9

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I feel like FPS games would actually be the least impressive use of this technology. With a little tweaking, can you imagine Mirrors Edge? That would either be the most amazing thing ever, or a complete disaster, I'm not sure which. But a guaranteed success? Any horror game that takes away your ability to attack. Imagine Slender, or Amnesia with this? Or if you want to go all power fantasy still, imagine a good stealth game. OH! Throw in a kinect, and have guards be alerted when you make noise in real life!

derelict

Oct 25, 2009
synobal said:
josemlopes said:
Now its going to be easy to identify gamers
Yes but what is going to happen to high school cliques when gamers become the jocks? With their superior hand eye coordination, and amazing stamina and reaction times?
We tend to call those soldiers. (= This does look like it'll be more fun than basic training was, though.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
OMG as someone who finds the treadmill insanely boring Id love this as a way to keep fit and having tons of fun whilst doing so.

This seems a good idea to explore overall, me gusta mucho.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
While this seem nice and dandy. I would prefer a working version of this thing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0-dsbeasgA&list=UUj_UmpoD8Ph_EcyN_xEXrUQ&index=1

Imagine, beaming yourself into a game like in Sword Art Online.
(seriously, check out the menu at 6min mark)

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Yuuki said:

3) You can't strafe sideways, something as complex as circle-strafing is definitely out of the question
And even more importantly, how are you going to crouch? Because crouch-jumping is an important aspect of getting around certain maps. Not to mention your sticky or rocket jump will go much higher/further if you crouch jump when blasting your own feet rather than plain jumping.

I also haven't seen him switch weapons as there were situations where a shotty would've been more useful than the rocket launcher. For that matter, I also haven't seen him reload outside of when his clip was empty.

So yeaaah, it might be fun, but I don't think you're going to be a credit to your team with this set-up any time soon.

aelreth

Dec 26, 2012
My boss already predicted my death if I get this.

Cause of death, loss of situational awareness.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Yuuki said:

I get this was just a demonstration, but can someone PLEASE explain to me why people are wetting their pants over such an incredibly primitive control scheme which doesn't let you do shit? TF2 was possibly the worst example to use considering how much movement matters in that game.

"Think of the possibilities!" is what people say, conveniently forgetting about how fucking terrible motion controls were (Wii/Kinect/Move) and how quickly the game industry moved on from those.

Don't get me wrong, VR has some incredible uses - 3D design and CAD artists are fully justified to wet themselves over this because this is the ultimate tool in giving you an idea of the true "scale/depth" of objects and environments, far better than a flat screen could. If you want a new house built you can use VR to take a virtual tour through the rooms, etc.

But gaming? Hahahaha, no. Remember folks, smaller movements = more efficient controls = BETTER.
It's a step in the right technological direction. Sure it's not practical until it's almost perfect but it's progress. If we can do this today, who knows what we can do in the future? Unlike motion controls, this set-up isn't restricted to the gaming industry so I doubt it's going to be left in a primitive state similar to this. However little this progress may seem to be and however silly it may seem to be, I'm glad it's being done.

Progress is exciting, particularly for those who hold interest in the possibility of a virtual reality they can immerse themselves in thought to be the stuff of science fiction.

I only offer one reason why people are getting excited.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I want to try this out so bad. If it's actually functional, you better believe I'm buying it, but the wii has ruined my optimism, so this is gonna have to prove itself first.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Yuuki said:

I get this was just a demonstration, but can someone PLEASE explain to me why people are wetting their pants over such an incredibly primitive control scheme which doesn't let you do shit? TF2 was possibly the worst example to use considering how much movement matters in that game.

"Think of the possibilities!" is what people say, conveniently forgetting about how fucking terrible motion controls were (Wii/Kinect/Move) and how quickly the game industry moved on from those.

Thank you. After reading so many responses of "oohh man, I'd LOVE to have one of those", I was getting a little disheartened. Your post was a sane voice at last.

VR in gaming = gimmick.
Treadmil thing + VR game = gimmick on a gimmick.

VR makes your gaming experience worse, and now there's a worse and more restrictive way to navigate in the world too. Awesome!

aivalera

Aug 30, 2011
Don't want to rain on your parade, but that will kill gamers with exhaustion.

...But then again, it will make us more healthy and muscular, at least legwise. Wonder what would happen if you tune it so that people can play WoW. Seriously, if you have a wii mote with weights duct taped to your arm then this will be a freaking miracle machine. You know, if it doesn't kill you.

In which case, how much will this cost and when will it come out?

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
DiamanteGeeza said:
Thank you. After reading so many responses of "oohh man, I'd LOVE to have one of those", I was getting a little disheartened. Your post was a sane voice at last.

VR in gaming = gimmick.

VR makes your gaming experience worse, and now there's a worse and more restrictive way to navigate in the world too. Awesome!
So far I've had a several responses saying that the tool is only a very early step in VR and that's why it's so restrictive, that things will only improve.

But my point is that even if you had absolutely perfect 1:1 motion with this thing, even if you could jump/strafe/etc and have perfect accuracy with the gun (or whatever) controller, ultimately it will still not be looked at as a convenient/practical way to play games. Especially for heavier gamers who game on a regular basis for anywhere from 2-4 hours, such a scheme would be an absolute pain for even a VERY healthy/fit gamer to use for more than 30-60 minutes.

Convenience and practicality was probably the last thing on the developers' minds when they were making this thing. Actually throw affordability on that list as well.

On a positive note, I could see the VR Treadmill being a fairly big success in gaming arcades where you will find all the other "gimmicky" (but fun for short periods) games like Dance Dance Revolution...

Superbike racing...

Musical instrument simulators...

And of course, who can forget point-at-screen shooters (Time Crisis anyone?)...

The VR Treadmill falls into the same category as all the above "control" methods.

And people DO own point-at-screen shooters and DDR pads at home, don't get me wrong. Guitar Hero and Rock Band are more examples of "simulators" that work amazingly well.

But they worked because they are affordable and convenient, and I will rip my arms off if the VR Treadmill costs anything less than $500. If you got a phone call you could easily drop your controller or hop off your DDR pad to answer it, but while completely strapped into a VR Treadmill wearing a brick-sized head attachment? Urgh.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Yuuki said:
DiamanteGeeza said:

VR in gaming = gimmick.

So far I've had a several responses saying that the tool is only a very early step in VR and that's why it's so restrictive, that things will only improve.

But my point is that even if you had absolutely perfect 1:1 motion with this thing, even if you could jump/strafe/etc and have perfect accuracy with the gun (or whatever) controller, ultimately it will still not be looked at as a convenient/practical way to play games. Especially for heavier gamers who game on a regular basis for anywhere from 2-4 hours, such a scheme would be an absolute pain for even a VERY healthy/fit gamer to use for more than 30-60 minutes.

Convenience and practicality was probably the last thing on the developers' minds when they were making this thing. Actually throw affordability on that list as well.

On a positive note, I could see the VR Treadmill being a fairly big success in gaming arcades where you will find all the other "gimmicky" (but fun for short periods) games like Dance Dance Revolution...

Superbike racing...

Point-at-screen shooters (Time Crisis anyone?)...

If you think about it, the VR Treadmill and Rift Omni fall into the same category as all the above "control" methods. And people DO own point-at-screen shooters and DDR pads at home, don't get me wrong. Guitar Hero and Rock Band are more examples of "pretend simulations" that work amazingly well.

But they worked because they are AFFORDABLE and CONVENIENT, and I will rip my arms off if the VR Treadmill costs anything less than $500.
The difference with Guitar Hero and Rock Band is that the peripheral actually made playing the game better. Trying to play any type of fast gameplay on the treadmill will be terrible and, as you point out, exhausting too. Until consoles get their input data directly form your brain, it's hard to imagine a more efficient way of navigating in a gaming world than a joypad.

As an interesting aside, VR in arcades has failed several times over the last couple of decades - the main problem (and there were MANY! LOL) that we discovered was that people really don't want to put a sweaty headset on their head, particularly when it's soaked in the sweat of countless other individuals. It's also much more expensive for the arcade because each machine needs an operator to explain what to do, so this means the price-per-play goes up and customers aren't too happy with that either. There are myriad health and safety issues, too. All in all, VR is nothing but a gimmicky pain in the ass that lots of people think they really want, until they get to actually try it and realize that they don't!