VR Omni-Directional Treadmill Lets Players Run and Gun

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
VR Omni-Directional Treadmill Lets Players Run and Gun

Between the Virtuix Omni prototype and Oculus Rift, dodging rockets in Team Fortress 2 is more heart-pumping then ever.

The Oculus Rift is <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122772-Team-Fortress-2-Supports-Oculus-Rift-in-VR-Mode-Update>an impressive piece of technology, and it's easy to understand why enthusiasts are enamored with it. It's arguably one of the most immersive gaming VR headsets we've seen in years, and avoids many of the design pitfalls noted in other models. That all said, if you're only using the Rift headset, it still won't feel like you're on Star Trek's holodeck just yet. If you really want that full-motion experience, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123278-VR-Enthusiast-Puts-Mirrors-Edge-Through-Oculus-Rift-Paces>and can handle the potential nausea, what you'll need is a gaming rig that lets you walk around as well. Enter the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122498-Omni-Treadmill-Lets-You-Burn-Calories-While-Gaming>Virtuix Omni VR Treadmill, an omni-directional treadmill that allows movement in any direction and, when used with games like Team Fortress 2, could make digital environments physically and mentally immersive.

The attached video gives a pretty good idea of how the system works. Players needs three elements: An Oculus Rift, a Virtuix Treadmill, and a rifle-based controller. With the Rift providing visuals, the treadmill translates movements into in-game actions while the player remains fixed in a single location (which is important, so you don't trip over your couch or loved ones). The entire setup lets you aim, walk, run, and even strafe, all while dodging bullets and dishing out damage. "The action feels like real running," says Virtuix CEO Jan Goetgeluk. "The immersion is intense. I had a former Marine try HL2 yesterday, and he was slightly shaking."

Naturally, this particular configuration has some downsides. Your in-game movement speed is set by Team Fortress 2, not real-life running, so a certain disconnect is to be expected. That's not even bringing up the jarring sensation you'd feel when rocket-jumps send you flying while your actual feet are on the ground. Still, the fact that it's functioning at all is very promising for the technology, and if you're an enthusiast who won't be happy until holodecks are a reality, perhaps you won't have as long to wait as we thought.

Source: <a href=http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/04/19/virtuix-omni-omnidirectional-treadmill-oculus-rft-tf2-gameplay-5004>Road to VR, via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-19-team-fortress-2-played-on-omnidirectional-treadmill-and-oculus-rift>Eurogamer

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
That + kinect so I can shout when I need a dispenser here and a wii mote for backstabing and I'd have so much fun.

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
Am I the only one who came up with this in his head at the age of about nine and has spent the years since wondering if it could be done if only I posessed the technical know-how?

Thought as much. Well It's certainly nice to see my childhood dreams come true, the limiting factor in 'VR' interfaces has always been physical feedback and this would go a long way towards fixing that.

Now I just need to wait for so-called haptic-adaptive controll panels and my sci-fi dreams will be complete reality!

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
socialmenace42 said:
Am I the only one who came up with this in his head at the age of about nine and has spent the years since wondering if it could be done if only I posessed the technical know-how?

Thought as much. Well It's certainly nice to see my childhood dreams come true, the limiting factor in 'VR' interfaces has always been physical feedback and this would go a long way towards fixing that.

Now I just need to wait for so-called haptic-adaptive controll panels and my sci-fi dreams will be complete reality!
I came up with the idea more along the lines of Minority Report's Dreamweaver technology.

OT:I wouldn't buy this for two reasons, one I use one eye at a time so the Rift wouldn't work right for me at all. Two, I'm fucking lazy as shit, why would I want to run everywhere?!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well thats certainly an overkill manner in which to play TF2...

When can i get mine?

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I just got scared of how rocket jumping is going to be now. We shall all die.

OT: I want this. I really do.
socialmenace42 said:

I always thought about it myself, but thought it wasn't practical. I was so wrong.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Now its going to be easy to identify gamers

Looks cool but very impratical, it really looks like something that I would only use from time to time because I bet that while the experience is very diferent from the usual stuff just the thought of setting it up and then having to run around isnt exactly what I usually have in mind when I want to play a game.

Basicly if I was really rich and had nothing better to do with my life and money I would buy it to try out, other then that Im not really seeing it do it for me.

The Oculus Rift will be enough of a different experience for me.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
josemlopes said:
Yes but what is going to happen to high school cliques when gamers become the jocks? With their superior hand eye coordination, and amazing stamina and reaction times?

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
Haven't we already seen this setup? With skyrim or something?
Reported here on the escapist, the focus may have been on a different element but i'm sure i've already seen it.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
synobal said:
josemlopes said:
Yes but what is going to happen to high school cliques when gamers become the jocks? With their superior hand eye coordination, and amazing stamina and reaction times?
Oh dont worry, from the waist up we will still lack any sort of strength but we will have terrific asses, maybe that will be enough to change school as we know it. Maybe...

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
socialmenace42 said:

Not in the least. I personally got the idea from the old "G Gundam" series when it aired on Toonami. I always thought to myself "how in the hell do they run around in there?" and found myself thinking up designs for making a omni-directional treadmill and placing a giant screen around it. Oh the imagination of my 9 year old self was amazing...

sid

Jan 22, 2013
Oh man, imagine the sorts of workouts you could have with that machine.

Alright people, if by next generation gamers start being regarded as gruff war veterans and bodybuilders, and our children ask us about the olden days, we need to have an entire database of war stories right at our fingertips. History's told by the victor, we got this.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Fuuuuuuuuck me.

I can't describe how cool it is to see us moving towards my childhood dream of virtual reality. This is pretty cool also in that you could get a really, really good workout while having fun playing games. The health benefits of this could be amazing.

I would absolutely LOVE to see this built into a first person MMO of some variety. Elder Scrolls Online might be the prefect test bed for that. Or mod TERA to have first person, the combat in that game very much lends itself to this kind of cool setup.

On a slightly less serious note, it'd be interesting to see the player's in game avatar fall face first into the dirt if it could detect you tripping and respond to it.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
He's not even playing in first person. The camera's just stuck on the 3rd person model's head.
But, uhh... woo? Looks kind of awkward. And bad. Sort of like one of those gameplay segments of trailers for a game where you're not in control so they make the camera wobbly to simulate REALISM but just make the skill level really low and you've got it.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Nifty, but not for me. I play video games to relax, sometimes after I've played badminton for a few hours. The last thing I need after tough physical exercise is more physical exercise. Can't say I'd buy it.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Can we just get over this? Please? For the love of god? After a long hard day who on the flying fuck would even find the effort to give this a try?

It's a gimmick. It seems cool now but when you've just dealt with shit for the day, you're going spend several of your free hours running on the spot like a prat while also screwing-up your legs.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
mad825 said:
Can we just get over this? Please? For the love of god? After a long hard day who on the flying fuck would even find the effort to give this a try?
Because exercise isn't a thing people engage in ever.

I'd agree it's not something you'd probably use every time you want to play a game, but it could be pretty cool for those that want a more immersive experience and exercise all in one.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
To be perfectly honest f**k that. I am getting older and no longer walk so well, I have also put on a bit of weight compared to my old trim 12st. I do not really fancy having to stagger about trying to play my games, I like to chill in a comfy chair and relax when I play.

If I wanted exercise and shooting I would rather do paintball/airsoft instead, you get to dress up and play soldiers when you do that too.

The

Jan 24, 2012
The first step towards augmentations.

They should make the treadmill vibrate each time you take a hit, maybe disorienting you, like in real life.