Wait just a second.. We were wrong! Gaming is bad for kids! (Well in my experience)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I balanced it, and now I'm a gamer with honor roll status and a classically trained ear. Better then can be said about some of my non-gaming friends.

VivaciousDeimos

May 1, 2010
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
I'm just going to tell you one fact about my life that just might blow your mind.

I learned to play the guitar and I play videogames.
Mind=blown

....but really, I'm sitting here reading and scratching my head like, I played video games and cello...and was a competitive swimmer...what's the issue?

Anyway, video games have never been my sole hobby, and I think that's important. When I was little I would play outside as much as I would the NES and N64 in later years.

And listen, if you're at university, and I don't know how large yours is, take a fun introductory to something, try something new. Ballroom 101, or Fencing. It's never too late to start learning something.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
The same can be said about any hobby.

It's not the game's fault if you get too distracted from the real world.

lokun489

Jun 3, 2010
this is with anything you do it's the what if i had blahdy blahdy blar typo thing no matter what you do you will always wonder about things the other way simple as that.

New York Patrick

Jul 29, 2009
RetiarySword said:
kordan11 said:
Sorry for the bluntness mate, but if you let gaming get in the way of all the things you wanted to do... it's not the games' fault.
Yep, I realise that now. Still, young kids don't know any better. Hind sight is a wonderful thing.
Correction: SOME young kids don't know any better. That's how Darwinism works.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
You actually can play video games and be successful. My dad plays plenty of games and he's a very successful pilot.

One of Many

Feb 3, 2010
comadorcrack said:
You know what.
Fine, go on then, Leave gaming behind. We Won't miss you.

But don't you dare Blame your lack of greatness on gaming. You should have grabbed the bull by the horn yourself, you should have had the strength to say I'll play you later, I have to do this.
Just because you're weak don't go blaming it on streams of Code on a TV screen.
Feel free to go on you bag of dick!

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, adieu

Peace x
Funkiest Monkey said:
Games are not the source of your problems, you are. You lacked the motivation to get out there and now you're using the videogames as a scapegoat for your "failures".

Gaming is a legitimate hobby and is something that is accepted in the mainstream media nowadays. It's no more addictive than any other hobby can be. You could have easily done any of those things you wanted and still played games.

But you know what? It's never too late. Take up the guitar, join a sports club, do whatever you want! If you want to do something, go and do it! Nothing is stopping you. There's a world of opportunities out there and it's up to you to go find them. Carpe Diem. Seize the day.

Or, alternatively, you can sit at home and ***** about how games have fucked your life up.

Me? I'm gonna carry on gaming, do whatever the hell I want to do and enjoy myself. Not dwelling on "what might have been".

P.S. Don't deprave your future kids of videogames. It's up to you as the parent to monitor and control what your children get up to at an early age. With the correct guidance, they could very well do sports or learn an instrument, while enjoying videogames occasionally.

Shit. I'm not usually this motherly and serious. Sorry if this came off as "holier-than-thou" aswell, I was just trying to help. My position isn't perfect either, y'know. But with the right motivation you can do anything.
You both are awesome and deserve a drink/cookie/sweet of your choosing.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
kordan11 said:
Sorry for the bluntness mate, but if you let gaming get in the way of all the things you wanted to do... it's not the games' fault.
thats a very good point (not one ive heard before either) i guess you cant blame a brick wall if you're stupid enough to walk into it

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Don't blame the games for this one. It was your decision to play them rather than do anything else, and it wouldn't be hard to balance sports or music with games. Example: many Escapists do play instruments. Essentially what I'm saying is that games are not the issue, people are. You just need the willpower to try something that may require more effort than pushing buttons.

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
I've known it's not particularly good for people for a while but it's still entertaining. I would have learnt to play my electric guitar and finished my driving lessons though if I spent less time playing games(wasting time).

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
No. No, just... just no. I refuse to believe that any ostensibly educated person can actually have just tried to tell me that games are holding me back and that they were also held back by games. I refuse to believe that somebody has just asked me to think about how much better my life would be without games. I refuse to believe that I've actually just heard somebody say that they won't let their kids play games because they want them to be successful.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as insulting, but it simply warps my perception of reality that somebody can think that gaming and success are mutually exclusive.

To avoid repeating any of the points that you've probably already found in teisjm's post, which gave the counterargument more eloquently than I could: I disagree with you on this.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
heres an interesting metaphor i just came up with

a few weeks back i stayed with my sister in manchester (true story) the lock on her bathroom was a bit stiff and i cut my hand on it, ive still got that cut because i keep picking it. its not the locks fault ive got this mark, its because of my own inability to leave it alone, (you see where im going with this?)

people who are weak enough to sell their souls to "the screen" are alredy weak to begin with, and would be with, or without, video games. if they didnt have video games theyd rot away with books or phones or little electronic nick-nacks. the point is you cant blame peoples weakness on video games just because theyre more fun than any of those other things

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
Anything that has the potential to absorb someone to the extent that they neglect their lives can be bad, but let's not single out videogames for this. It's good that you've seen you had a problem because of videogames.

SilentBobsThoughts

Dec 29, 2009
after training for years you have sold you sword and shield and wondered why other people can use there Bow and arrows. You can't blame the games, blame your lack of motivation for pressing the damn power button more than twice a day.

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
Even though it's good you recognise your problem, video gaming is not said problem. It is rather a person's inability to put the controller down.

To be honest, it doesn't matter if you play video games or not, it's still YOUR responsibility to make decisions in YOUR life. Please stop trying to make video gaming into a scapegoat for your own choices, it does not bode well on a video gaming forum.