Wal-Mart, Best Buy End Used Game Trade-In Programs

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Wal-Mart, Best Buy End Used Game Trade-In Programs

The used game trade-in trials at Wal-Mart and Best Buy have been brought to a close as e-Play [https://www.e-play.com/Home/TradeWalkthrough], the company which provided the trade-in kiosks used by both companies, suspended its operations today.

There's gold in them thar preowned videogame hills, for anyone who can figure out how to find it. Best Buy [http://www.gamestop.com] had decided that they were going to muscle in on the action; both retailers launched test programs in conjunction with a company called e-Play, which provided in-store kiosks that rented games and DVDs at a rate of $1 per day and also employed an automated system to purchase used videogames from customers at fixed rates.

e-Play was never entirely clear about how it intended to make money on the traded games, saying only that it had a "couple different methods" for reselling them. It doesn't appear that any of those methods were terribly effective, however, because e-Play suspended operations today with nothing more than a recorded message on its 800 number advising customers about how to return rentals. The performance of the kiosks was "underwhelming," according to Sterne Agee [http://www.sterneagee.com/] analyst Arvind Bhatia, and the two companies have decided not to pursue the used game business any further, bringing the Great Used Games Experiment to a rather undignified close.

When the program was first revealed, some observers suggested that Wal-Mart's foray into used games could pose a serious threat to GameStop's domination of the market segment. Analyst Michael Pachter got it right, however, when he predicted that it would have little impact. "I can't see this having tremendous appeal to hardcore gamers, unless the credits are substantially higher than those offered at GameStop," he said. "Even if this takes off, it's not going to make much of a dent in the used market... I don't see it being a big deal."

Source: IndustryGamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/wal-mart-best-buy-quit-short-lived-used-games-test/]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Ouch. Well, I've never seen an e-play machine before, and I live in the major American city of Philadelphia.

We have things called RedBox which only rent movies.

laryri

May 19, 2008
I have never heard of ePlay. Also, who uses the e prefix anymore? Seriously, they would've been more successful if they called it iPlay.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Ouch. Well, I've never seen an e-play machine before, and I live in the major American city of Philadelphia.

Same, I live in Chicago and I have not seen anything like this.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Personally i th-

#This is Wal-Mart Over-root A.I 3.2, Our stock investors have detected a high possiblity of profit in this site, and have created our own cheaper varient. Message will end, remember, we controle everything, Wal-Mart is watching you#

-tonking great baboon.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
wait a moment: Am I the only person who had no idea Best Buy and Wal*Mart offered such a service!? Did it last a week or has it really been that long since my last visit to either of these stores!?

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Man I wish I could have taken advantage of the game rental service. It would have done wonders for my achievement hunting. However, since reaching the score I wanted, I am retiring.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
wait a moment: Am I the only person who had no idea Best Buy and Wal*Mart offered such a service!? Did it last a week or has it really been that long since my last visit to either of these stores!?
no I had no idea too.

I think the problem is right there. Us hardcore gamers (Im gonna use hardcore just to say that we are on a site for video games) have no idea that These places offered this service. We all apparently go to dedicated games retailers and never step foot into a Wall Mart for our games.

DRADIS C0ntact

Mar 26, 2009
I go to walmart at least once a week and I've never seen one of these kiosks. Perhaps it would have made a profit if they were more widely distributed...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
laryri said:
I have never heard of ePlay. Also, who uses the e prefix anymore? Seriously, they would've been more successful if they called it iPlay.
Its more now and modern at least...

Ah well, sucks to be those 2 firms I suppose

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
If you're renting games, you aren't going to have many to trade in. How does this business make any sense?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Seems like Walmart and Best Buy didn't have much enthusiasm for this service. Frankly one would think both would have the infrastructure already to do it themselves. But they try outsourcing it and end up with some monkey company run out of someone's basement. Weird.
Then again Walmart has never had much enthusiasm about computers and videogames. They never hire anybody for that department that knows anything about either.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Mostly because no one in their right mind actually shops at Wal-Mart for games. Have you seen their prices?

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Feh, I buy most games from Gamestop.
Looks like I'll have to continue buying my scratched and broken CDs from Gamestop...

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

Same here. Never heard of e-play, but we have RedBox.

Las Vegas.

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
as others have said never heard of it and bing in a fairly good sized city and also the fact the i go to walmart about twice a week would mean i should have at least heard of this but sadly no so the real question is where did they pet all the e-play machines in Iowa

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

We have similar things to the RedBox here in the UK, though some rent games as well as DVDs. There's even one in my student union. Never used one though...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
oppp7 said:
Feh, I buy most games from Gamestop.
Looks like I'll have to continue buying my scratched and broken CDs from Gamestop...
do the stores around you not have a return policy or something? the ones around here give you 7 days on a used game to decide if you like it then you can return it for any reason

TheEggplant

Excess Ain't Rebellion
Jul 26, 2008
Big surprise. I kept checking the Best Buy website for used deals but they never materialized.
Gamestop is a pawnshop. As Zero Originality pointed out they just stick the incoming games in a sleeve and then try to sell people the used disc at check-out. If e-play isn't going to have that kind of turn around then there is no way they could ever compete. The Amazon trade-in program is still going though and I've found some great deals there.