Walking Dead Television Series Gets Green Light

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Walking Dead Television Series Gets Green Light

Time to load up your shotguns zombie fans, AMC has officially confirmed a Walking Dead television series.

Robert Kirkman's blockbuster zombie comic book series The Walking Dead [http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Compendium-1/dp/1607060760/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1278693672&sr=1-1] was known to be under consideration for a television adaptation, but today AMC officially confirmed that it'll be coming to the network in 2010. Six one-hour episodes are planned to start airing in October.

How can I express my feelings on this plainly. I would have eliminated a continent full of children to see a Walking Dead television series made. Thankfully, now I can dismantle my nuclear arsenal.

Why should you care? The Walking Dead has been running since 2003 and with 70 or so issues released it's simply the greatest zombie story ever told. Dawn of the Dead is a great movie, but it's over in two hours. The Walking Dead's premise is a tale of a zombie apocalypse that doesn't end. While it has its share of undead gore, everything The Walking Dead does is smart and often surprising. It's penned by comic veteran Robert Kirkman, who serves as executive producer on the television show, and is currently illustrated by Charlie Adlard.

The Walking Dead primarily follows ex-cop Rick Grimes as he attempts to deal with a world overrun by zombies. Fear not, as these zombies are the slow-moving variety, but they will still chomp an arm off if you let them. Rick, his family members, and newfound friends try to find stability in their dangerous world, but are often forced to do the unthinkable and personally changed in ways that can never be repaired. Nobody is safe in The Walking Dead, and Kirkman has hinted that he might even kill off Rick someday. It's not just a great zombie tale, but a great comic in general.

According to Kirkman, the television series may not be a direct adaptation and will still hold surprises for fans. AMC handled Madmen and Breaking Bad pretty well, so I'm looking forward to another amazing series here. I have a problem with AMC only ordering six episodes for a zombie story that is never supposed to end, but that's the state of television today. If you all watch it, like I know you will (or I will come and find you), we will likely see more.

(Via: SciFi Wire [http://scifiwire.com/2010/03/zombocalypse-now-amc-gree.php])

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
hasn't this been confirmed a long time ago? I knew about it since last year.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
I have a problem with AMC only ordering six episodes for a zombie story that is never supposed to end, but that's the state of television today.
They did this with either Breaking Bad or Mad Men. They gave it a short first season, then every season since has been 13 episodes. They're giving the show a chance to find it's audience before committing to a full season.

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
Definately want to see this show, I love the walking dead series, I hope the show can live up to the comics.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
scnj said:
Tom Goldman said:
I have a problem with AMC only ordering six episodes for a zombie story that is never supposed to end, but that's the state of television today.
They did this with either Breaking Bad or Mad Men. They gave it a short first season, then every season since has been 13 episodes. They're giving the show a chance to find it's audience before committing to a full season.
Well, it happened with Breaking Bad, but that was more because of the Writers Strike going on.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Sounds good. I remember reading the first couple from a friend, and I found them quite gripping. Although to be fair, I was going through my zombie fetish at the time.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
A proper Zombie series to kill off the torrent of vampire shows/series? This I approve of.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
AkJay said:
hasn't this been confirmed a long time ago? I knew about it since last year.
Yes, but it was now officially greenlit. Only a pilot was made, and it must have been good.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
I would hardly call it "The greatest zombie story ever told".

It is a well told story, and has a lot of rather disturbing evoking scenes in it though.
I find the story drags on a bit after vol.7 though.

I don't know how great a television adaptation will be, but I'll give it a shot.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
BlindMessiah94 said:

It is a well told story, and has a lot of rather disturbing evoking scenes in it though.

I don't know how great a television adaptation will be, but I'll give it a shot.
Yeah, it's just my opinion :) Though I have seen most of the top zombie films, etc...

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
AkJay said:
scnj said:
Tom Goldman said:
Well, it happened with Breaking Bad, but that was more because of the Writers Strike going on.
But it worked out for that show, so the network has probably decided that it's a successful strategy.

Jebusetti

Jan 12, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
BlindMessiah94 said:

Yeah, it's just my opinion :) Though I have seen most of the top zombie films, etc...
I have to agree a little bit with the fact that the story kinda lulls for a bit, but I just finished the latest TPB not too long ago (Vol 11 i think?) and hooooo man if they keep the flavour and brutality of the comic series intact they will have a disturbing winner on their hands. My friends and I have devoured most things Zombie related and we agree that this is one of the better stories going. Thank fuck AMC is allowed to show "adult" content as well, cause there is no way to PG this story.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That said:
Definately want to see this show, I love the walking dead series, I hope the show can live up to the comics.
Aye, same here. If they do though it is sure to be a great series and surely something epic to watch!

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Well ever since Adventure Land!!!!(still a good movie) People have been even more obsessed with zombies over last years Vampires. So by next year everyone will be hunting ghosts.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Hmmm? A zombie television show that will be based of an apparently good zombie comic book series?

Yeah, you'll find me tuning in at the appropriate hour.

This makes me wonder, why haven't this been done before? Seemed like something that should have been thought up a long time ago.