'Walking While Black?': Shocking Video Has Police Under Fire For killing Unarmed Black Man

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
God I wish I’d just made my joke replies and not watched that video. I’m fucking tired man.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The really gross part is that you just know they're going to get away with it, in any case all I can say is fuck the police.
They absolutely are. The minute he started resisting, they were going to be able to kill him without legal penalty. I guess the PD might consider disciplining the gung-ho officer.

Americans have to learn that when the police decide to stop them, their lives depend on peaceful compliance (and not even that's totally guaranteed). That is, of course, how the US police seem to want it.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Generally "good cops" either quit, or end up being fucked over by their "bad cop" partners, seems to be a pattern.
This video in particular, where the partner is calling him out for such a nonsense interaction... but still follows behind his partner

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Despite their bias against.

Women
Can you name a practice that *isn't* biased against women, unless it's explicitly biased in favor of them? Hell, part of Australian public service briefly switched to blind recruiting in which those hiring were not given gender or race data about candidates, and *that* managed to be biased against women.

You're gonna be waiting a long time as he seemed to have been banned
I'll miss him, for much the same reasons as I miss Saelune.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
This video in particular, where the partner is calling him out for such a nonsense interaction... but still follows behind his partner
To be fair, he's possibly sort of obliged to go with him in order to provide appropriate support. I don't exactly know how it works in the world of policing where if one officer wants to intervene and the other doesn't, whose word counts. I would assume if equal rank, an officer has the right to intervene irrespective of his partner's wishes, and the partner just has to suck it up and provide backup. And maybe ask for a new partner in future.

I wouldn't go too harsh on the partner. He might have failed to dissuade the arsehole from a pointless intervention, but it also needs to be recognised that he had the right idea to just let it go.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't go too harsh on the partner. He might have failed to dissuade the arsehole from a pointless intervention, but it also needs to be recognised that he had the right idea to just let it go.
He saw a killing occurring and made no move to prevent it. If it wasn't for the job title of the person perpetrating it, that would be considered a serious criminal offence.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
To be fair, he's possibly sort of obliged to go with him in order to provide appropriate support. I don't exactly know how it works in the world of policing where if one officer wants to intervene and the other doesn't, whose word counts. I would assume if equal rank, an officer has the right to intervene irrespective of his partner's wishes, and the partner just has to suck it up and provide backup. And maybe ask for a new partner in future.

Well, that's one way to look at it. The other would be when does it become this "good" cop's duty to intervene when his partner is escalating a nonissue into a full-blown situation? Assuming equal rank, he easily could have come between his partner and the victim, excused the victim and reigned in his partner, at least that could have been his course of action. Had his partner insisted on running down a capital jaywalker, it would have exposed him as irrational, over-zealous and unfit to wear the badge let alone wield a weapon.

Inaction/complacency in this case was complicity. Don't we praise children who stand up to bullies on another's behalf? Was there no duty for this officer of the law to do the same? So while clearly not as overtly at fault as his partner who instigated the altercation, I don't think it's "too harsh" to hold him to account. At no point did it cease to be his duty to protect a citizen, but he failed in his duty, and someone died for committing the same "crime" that's rarely punished because millions of people commit it every day without even realizing it.

Fun fact, some lesser misdemeanor crimes are actually REDUCED to "jaywalking" by judges so as not to mar an otherwise decent person's criminal/driving record.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Cops aren’t gonna stop murdering people. There’ve been years of asking nicely and years of demanding better. They don’t care. It’s like we’re asking a colonial occupying force to not murder or enslave people. This is what the police are. This is why they exist. They’re here to kill the suffering and anyone who can imagine a better world. To loose dogs on kids and innocents because that’s easier than listening. There’s no fixing something like this, because the very purpose of cops is to do this.