WALL-E Writers Win Humanitas Award

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
AkJay said:
Lord_Panzer said:
So you're saying that because it's cute and cuddly on the outside to appeal to kids, but has a thought-provoking and deep centre that can click with adults, it's to be written off anyways?
You know what, yes. That is exactly what i am saying, word for fucking word.
Yeah, that poncy git Shakespere doesn't deserve any credit for all that sword-fightin', piss-joking poetry readings he put on...

It's called "layering". There's the surface story for the kids, and then the deeper story for the grown-ups. And trust me, Wall-E sticks with kids and is a nice little cerebral time-bomb that's going to blow their minds when they reach their teens and figure out what that deeper story was saying.

-- Steve

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
AkJay said:
Lord_Panzer said:
AkJay said:
MA7743W said:
AkJay said:
GyroCaptain said:
AkJay said:
Shawshank Redemption. Schindlers List. WALL-E. . . Something is clearly wrong here.
Your thought is that something can't be affirming of basic dignities and involve important emotions and concepts and still be for kids?

Not baiting harsh responses here or anything, just wondering.
Well why can't a kids film have an important emotional message ?
Because most kids under the age of 10, whom these films are targeting, don't understand the message they are trying to get across, in other terms, their speech has fallen on deaf ears.
So you're saying that because it's cute and cuddly on the outside to appeal to kids, but has a thought-provoking and deep centre that can click with adults, it's to be written off anyways?
I thought it was because Shawkshank and Schindlers list were most definatly NOT for children while Wall-e was a kids film >_>

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
And yet another award for Wall-E. I guess they figured ya either get busy exploring the human condition with robots or ya get busy dying.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Anyway, WALL E is fucking amazing. Pixar are the gods of movie makers. Can't wait for Cars 2

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Aw, that's sweet. I hate sweet! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LWNOcQ2nf8]

Seriously though I love movies like that, and now that I know that there's a list of them, I think I may have to watch a lot of them.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
I'm sorry I just don't see the attraction for Wall E. I love most pixar films but it has to be their weakest one. It was over preachy and totally lost focus once those ugly unnecesary humans showed up.

Just my opinion guys.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
In all honesty, I didn't really like this movie at all.

The first act was pretty cool, seeing a mute robot traversing a desolate metropolis. But the instant the movie enterd outer space it lost all it's dignity.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Wall-E is not Pixar's latest movie. Up is.

Anyway, this is well deserved; Wall-E was fantastic.

BonerMacTittyPants

Aug 3, 2009
I loved Wall-E, and I think it's one of the best Pixar films ever, but...

"Enriching human understanding"? Ok, I know it was supposed to be " Have some dignity, don't get fat, and start carrying for your planet", but it ended up as " Don't build a fucking spaceship". It's like halfway through the scriptwriters decided they don't want a cute story about robots but a critical view on humanity, so they ended up with the spaceship idea because the planet was inhabitable.

Lordpils

Aug 3, 2009
I understand and agree. Great movie, very moving, very heartwarming and surprisingly thought provoking.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
AkJay said:
Lord_Panzer said:
AkJay said:
MA7743W said:
AkJay said:
GyroCaptain said:
AkJay said:
Shawshank Redemption. Schindlers List. WALL-E. . . Something is clearly wrong here.
Your thought is that something can't be affirming of basic dignities and involve important emotions and concepts and still be for kids?

Not baiting harsh responses here or anything, just wondering.
Well why can't a kids film have an important emotional message ?
Because most kids under the age of 10, whom these films are targeting, don't understand the message they are trying to get across, in other terms, their speech has fallen on deaf ears.
Strange, why couldn't something be targeted to children and adults? Children only pay attention to the cute and cuddly, yes that's very true, but that simply doesn't mean that there can't be a message in it that adults can understand. Just because the kids don't see it doesn't mean that it isn't there. It's like the double humour in some old cartoons, just because the young kids only see the slapstick violence, doesn't mean that the cartoon can't be extremely witty at the same time. The young one's simply don't notice that, but we do. Why would that make it less witty? Or in WALL-E's case, less thought-provoking?
Casual Shinji said:
In all honesty, I didn't really like this movie at all.

The first act was pretty cool, seeing a mute robot traversing a desolate metropolis. But the instant the movie enterd outer space it lost all it's dignity.
Really?! Didn't you just go "awwww" at EVE and WALL-E's 'space dance'?! I found that to be absolutely beautiful.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Wall-E does not deserve it, it was a simple left wing political piece firing an ultra wide spread shotgun at everything from enviromentalist, to obesity, and tossed in an underlying technophobiac message despite the robotic protaganist along with it.

Schindler's list deserves it, as that is *mostly* a documentary of sorts though it also banks heavily on WW II propaganda. It gets away with it's message though by not being truely outrageous about it.

The Shawshank Redemption is pushing it, but I can see it sort of.

At any rate it's their award and they can give it to whatever they want. Personally though the point of awards like that is that they mean something to people who respect the award. With the inclusion of Wall E to the list, it simply drops on my respect-o-meter.

See, it's not that Wall E was a bad movie, it's just that it wasn't good on THAT level or in the areas they are praising it for. As I said, it basically fired a shotgun at a bunch of leftist issues that "everyone agrees with" hit most of them as far as fitting them into the story, and that is pretty much all it did.

In comparison I thought "The Incredibles" was a much better movie, and also more thought provoking in it's own way.

May 28, 2009
hansari said:
So how many Humanitas Awards did Forest Gump win?

Poor gump...he is still waiting for Humanitas' reply.
Don't worry Gump, sitting there with your box of chocolates. Your time will come.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
I liked it. It was sort of preachy, I agree with Therumancer, but the total amount of greatness packed into a film without two fucking words is staggering.

This thing is for an environmentalist movie, and, if anything, environmentalist movies have to be preachy. So I agree with this, I think it was a good movie overall and, that being said, I think it was preachy.

Awesome outweighed the preachiness, though.

Dorian Cornelius Jasper

Space Robot From Outer Space
Apr 8, 2008
AkJay said:
(snip)...i consider this argument over. Good day.
This is good, because closed-mindedness is a notoriously difficult--well near impossible--thing to overcome on the internet. However, I will say this. No matter what you feel about WALL-E, some guns are not a good idea to stick to. Especially if they're fallacies built on mostly personal notions on inherent quality.

(And I thought Schindler's List was a bit heavy-handed. Granted, it was about the Holocaust so it gets a pass.)

More importantly, I find awards celebrating humanity offensive on account of personal cynicism. Just rubs me the wrong way.

EDIT: And Forrest Gump is also overrated.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Not if it encourages us to blame our ecological problems on fat people, like WALL-E did.
Factually inaccurate. The fat people in the movie were removed from the problem and came later. The criticism was of a culture of waste, and of leisure at the expense of all else. The fat people in the movie were a symptom of poor decisions made by the prior establishment of Earth, who themselves were NOT predominantly overweight if the inaugural captain of the ship and the messages sent from are Earth are any guide.