Want Escapist Opinion: I want to ban Horror Movie Trailers late at night...

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Here's a problem that only effects me, I like to watch adult swim and I don't really sleep well. I kinda drift in and out of sleep at night. This past week I've been plagued by trailers for the this movie out on DVD, Devils Due. I'm not going to search for vid of it, it's probably on YouTube. Suffice to say the one causing me distress just has a small voice mumbling something. It's enough to peak your interest to get your attention then BAM screaming girl. She's night vision green and her jaw is just opened wide enough to abdnormal.

First off, thematically, THAT IS NOT HORROR! That is a jump scare, there is no difference between that and those stupid links people send you to pop the bubble.

Bare with me in sympathy, this thing has been the bane of my existence to the point I'm actually seriously consider campaigning to create a law in my state. Why not? I'm an adult and it's bothering me (lousey kids these days!!!)

I'm only 10% serious, but I've been debating. I now thing=k my initial "No Horror Commericals after 10 PM" as rather unfair. After all, that shit would never flow in prime time and they need to take advantage of a light night time slot.

However, I instead feel these trailers should have a 5 second bumper before being played, to give those that wish to avoid it the oppurtunity to change the channel or switch broadcasts.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Oh my God! That is the one thing I miss about watching TV while I sleep. Adult Swim has the best ads at everything. When that movie, The Devil Inside was being advertised. That fucking nun with the grey eyes kept me awake for hours. Insidious 2, The Conjuring, Mama, and Sinister were some other really bad ones. Sinister had to be worst. It gave me nightmares.

But I agree with you completely. I don't mind the penis enhancement ads, the specific dating sites, and the other annoying ads. But after ten, it's time to stop playing the horror ads. I enjoy my sleep. Luckily, I now fall asleep without a TV.w

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
Doesn't this go along with the running ideal of Adult Swim though? They have a noted history of doing things to fuck with their audience in the past, whether it be something they know will piss people off, annoy them, or confuse them.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Timotei said:
Doesn't this go along with the running ideal of Adult Swim though? They have a noted history of doing things to fuck with their audience in the past, whether it be something they know will piss people off, annoy them, or confuse them.
The only thing that use to screw with me is that damn Tim and Eric show would sometimes wander off into the path of disturbing... But I got to learn as soon as it was on to change the channel.

And my complaint isn't just limited to Adult Swim.

Elfgore said:
Oh my God! That is the one thing I miss about watching TV while I sleep. Adult Swim has the best ads at everything. When that movie, The Devil Inside was being advertised. That fucking nun with the grey eyes kept me awake for hours. Insidious 2, The Conjuring, Mama, and Sinister were some other really bad ones. Sinister had to be worst. It gave me nightmares.

But I agree with you completely. I don't mind the penis enhancement ads, the specific dating sites, and the other annoying ads. But after ten, it's time to stop playing the horror ads. I enjoy my sleep. Luckily, I now fall asleep without a TV.w
Man, fuck the conjuring and Insidious 2....

The fucked up thing is I know I could probably sit and watch those films (I've seen Insidious) and they wouldn't be half as scary as the trailers.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
I think you may just have to grit and bear it. They can't play those commercials in the daytime for obvious reasons.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
After all, that shit would never flow in prime time and they need to take advantage of a light night time slot.

However, I instead feel these trailers should have a 5 second bumper before being played, to give those that wish to avoid it the oppurtunity to change the channel or switch broadcasts.
Jesus Christ. You know, this is the kind of thing that leads to people putting "Contains nuts" on a packet of peanuts.

I'm going to use a legal term. Customary phlegm. It means that things that may disturb you or upset you are sometimes just part of life and you should have to deal with it.

Yes, you're an adult. And as such, it is assumed you have the ability to either avoid or consume advertisements and not be mentally disturbed by it. If you find such things simply unbearable for you, then perhaps you should simply stick to day time television and not worry yourself.

Also, if it scares you, then it's horror and has done it's job to scare you in a short amount of time. Jump scares have a place if done well. It's why the Slender series is done so well.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Leon Declis said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
After all, that shit would never flow in prime time and they need to take advantage of a light night time slot.

Jesus Christ. You know, this is the kind of thing that leads to people putting "Contains nuts" on a packet of peanuts.

I'm going to use a legal term. Customary phlegm. It means that things that may disturb you or upset you are sometimes just part of life and you should have to deal with it.

Yes, you're an adult. And as such, it is assumed you have the ability to either avoid or consume advsabotage the genophage?.sabotage the genophage?ertisements and not be mentally disturbed by it. If you find such things simply unbearable for you, then perhaps you should simply stick to day time television and not worry yourself.

Also, if it scares you, then it's horror and has done it's job to scare you in a short amount of time. Jump scares have a place if done well. It's why the Slender series is done so well.
Whoa, dude mellow out. It is so not the same thing as contain nuts.

I'm in the middle of watching family guy, half-awake. Commericals. Oh theres an arbys one, bobs burgers promo, oh a new rick and morty?, Maybe I will have a beer most interesting man, And... Oh, whats this one advertising? HOLY SHIT CREEPY *****! and now I'm wide awake.

I'm just asking for a little warning to shut my eyes or change the channel, not that they have to stop playing them all together. No that be extreme.

and Jump scares plain aren't horror. It takes no effort, it's a cheap pop like a bad guy wrestler insulting the hometown hockey time.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
Just browse the internet with your phone while the commercials are on. What you don't see can't scare you.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Jump scares and horror seem to be interchangeable nowadays though.

Why instead don't you put on a dvd or drift in and out to a different channel? Or listen to music if you have to have noise to fall asleep to? I fall asleep to music and/or podcasts....or dvds sometimes.

After 10 is some of the best time to be showing commercials like that because of the reactions you get. You scare people, they want to now go see the movie to see if it's just that part that's scary or if the whole movie is scary.

As a "scare actor" (basically I work at a haunted theme park dressed as a monster of some sort and scare the crap out of people from Sept-Oct) I can affirm that jump scares, if used properly and not over used, are very fucking effective scares. This past year I did a jump scare(I did this particular one only the one time due to how long it took to set up) that not only made a over 6' football player build type guy drop to the ground, but also made him let out that high pitched more kind of "girl" shriek and wet his pants. And apparently I was the only one who got him that whole night(he did our maze last right before the park closed). Which is pretty damn good considering we have a lot of people who are a lot better than I am at my job(though I am pretty damn good).

Your solution most likely won't take off. And yes, it is pretty much the same as having to put a warning on peanuts that they contain nuts. Or that you shouldn't mix electrical stuff and water(hairdryers, curling irons, toasters, etc). If you're watching tv after 10 pm most likely you will see at least one commercial for a "horror" movie(though I use horror very loosely since it's not really horror most of the time) if one is coming out relatively soon.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
epicdwarf said:
Just browse the internet with your phone while the commercials are on. What you don't see can't scare you.
I'm gonna admit to doing this with a lot of horror stuff. I just have something between me and the screen which distracts my vision enough not to get immersed completely. (WHEN I'M SCARED I PUT MY HANDS ON MY FACE OK)

I haven't watched TV in too long, but if that's what's happening, fuk dat. Jump scares aren't fair as commercials. That's like those youtube puzzle video things or some shit.

No thanks d00d.

Although as people have said I doubt your idea would ever make it. It kind of ruins the advert, and it's a night-time slot so I doubt they're aiming at you as the audience :(

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
epicdwarf said:
I'm at the point that I can reconize the commerical and just look away from the TV just from the sound... The only thing pissing me off is I wish I knew what the high pitched voice was saying before the scary face... maybe it's better I don't know.

Blow_Pop said:

Why instead don't you put on a dvd or drift in and out to a different channel? Or listen to music if you have to have noise to fall asleep to? I fall asleep to music and/or podcasts....or dvds sometimes.

After 10 is some of the best time to be showing commercials like that because of the reactions you get. You scare people, they want to now go see the movie to see if it's just that part that's scary or if the whole movie is scary.

As a "scare actor" (basically I work at a haunted theme park dressed as a monster of some sort and scare the crap out of people from Sept-Oct) I can affirm that jump scares, if used properly and not over used, are very fucking effective scares. This past year I did a jump scare(I did this particular one only the one time due to how long it took to set up) that not only made a over 6' football player build type guy drop to the ground, but also made him let out that high pitched more kind of "girl" shriek and wet his pants. And apparently I was the only one who got him that whole night(he did our maze last right before the park closed). Which is pretty damn good considering we have a lot of people who are a lot better than I am at my job(though I am pretty damn good).

Your solution most likely won't take off. And yes, it is pretty much the same as having to put a warning on peanuts that they contain nuts. Or that you shouldn't mix electrical stuff and water(hairdryers, curling irons, toasters, etc). If you're watching tv after 10 pm most likely you will see at least one commercial for a "horror" movie(though I use horror very loosely since it's not really horror most of the time) if one is coming out relatively soon.
What you do I would consider a different art form, your job is to scare people in person, which in my opinion is hard to do.

However a scary movie, thats an orange to your apple. A movie has to have plot. I think Insidious has some really scary moments but at the same time it gets really really silly. Now we have all these chronical like "found footage" things, like watching the person sleep but they don't keep me up awake at night like say... That extra on the Dawn Of The Dead remake, where it's just a news caster broadcasting the news for several hours and it just gets worse and worse until he signs off. That's horror of the mind, that's horror that makes me sleep with CNN on just to make sure the world isn't ending.

That said sir, I'm interested as hell in hearing any stories you have about your job. I don't go to Haunted Houses because when people do jump out at me like that, my first instinct is to throw a punch. I'm serious, ExGirlfriend did it to me once at night like a Zombie and I gave her a black eye. Let me stress, I'm a big dude but abhorrently against violence... So yeah that was a fun night, her crying and me having to explain "Yes, I thought you were undead. In that situation to you attack first, ask questions later"

...basically I'm asking, do you guys ever get attacked? Do people afterwards apologize going "OMG, I thought I was being a hero!"

And I'm only like 25% serious about the ban... maybe if I was an old man with nothing better to do with my time I might be the type of old person that writes the senator and all that, but I will stress it's a real inconvenience. I hate being jumped scared, quite frankly.

Ferisar said:
epicdwarf said:
I'm gonna admit to doing this with a lot of horror stuff. I just have something between me and the screen which distracts my vision enough not to get immersed completely. (WHEN I'M SCARED I PUT MY HANDS ON MY FACE OK)

I haven't watched TV in too long, but if that's what's happening, fuk dat. Jump scares aren't fair as commercials. That's like those youtube puzzle video things or some shit.

No thanks d00d.

Although as people have said I doubt your idea would ever make it. It kind of ruins the advert, and it's a night-time slot so I doubt they're aiming at you as the audience :(
Remember those car commericals were people were just driving talking about trivial shit and then they got in an accident? They gave folks heart attacks. They're not allowed anymore.

I can't imagine it ruins the advert. If something says "Something Scary Coming", if you're into that sort of thing you aren't going anywhere. If your the kind that would change the channel you aren't going to be spending on Devils Due.

canadamus_prime said:
Of course you could always just mute the TV during the commercials.
This is just a minor pet peeve, and the same reason I don't change the channel during the commerical, I hate missing a second of the show.

As for someone else that recommend I use the DVR... There are two problems with that,

1. I like to sleep with constant white noise. Eventually the show ends. And it's just silent. It's hard to explain but it ends up screwing with my dreams in a negative way.

2. My TV in my bed room is one of those old big screen projection TVs. I nicked it off the street and it works perfect and it's the largest TV i've ever had. But being a projection TV, a static screen like the DVR menu will "Burn In" if it just stays on over night while I'm sleeping.

Otherwise, fuck yeah I'd rather fall asleep watching Top Gear.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
Blow_Pop said:

What you do I would consider a different art form, your job is to scare people in person, which in my opinion is hard to do.

However a scary movie, thats an orange to your apple. A movie has to have plot. I think Insidious has some really scary moments but at the same time it gets really really silly. Now we have all these chronical like "found footage" things, like watching the person sleep but they don't keep me up awake at night like say... That extra on the Dawn Of The Dead remake, where it's just a news caster broadcasting the news for several hours and it just gets worse and worse until he signs off. That's horror of the mind, that's horror that makes me sleep with CNN on just to make sure the world isn't ending.

That said sir, I'm interested as hell in hearing any stories you have about your job. I don't go to Haunted Houses because when people do jump out at me like that, my first instinct is to throw a punch. I'm serious, ExGirlfriend did it to me once at night like a Zombie and I gave her a black eye. Let me stress, I'm a big dude but abhorrently against violence... So yeah that was a fun night, her crying and me having to explain "Yes, I thought you were undead. In that situation to you attack first, ask questions later"

...basically I'm asking, do you guys ever get attacked? Do people afterwards apologize going "OMG, I thought I was being a hero!"

And I'm only like 25% serious about the ban... maybe if I was an old man with nothing better to do with my time I might be the type of old person that writes the senator and all that, but I will stress it's a real inconvenience. I hate being jumped scared, quite frankly.
Actually our mazes are themed just like a movie. Granted last year's maze I was in was basically a <a href=http://37.media.tumblr.com/37b5c433bbbf9cedf21a8c08b71efaa4/tumblr_muca59GVKO1qb5uj1o3_1280.jpg>Mad <a href=http://24.media.tumblr.com/11359fe899e1210e555a9a09d603cf3c/tumblr_muca59GVKO1qb5uj1o4_1280.jpg>Max type scenario and really not hard to pull off and do (<a href=http://37.media.tumblr.com/2d2d53be7c0ac3ad556e0e6aedb8c83a/tumblr_mu40z3JcTn1qb5uj1o2_400.jpg>insane cannibal) so not quite oranges to apples comparisons. We don't do a good job, the story of our maze isn't apparent and then sucks. Some stories are easy as shit to pull off (ie: <a href=http://24.media.tumblr.com/d0443b3e31e5bc4cfadbd88ebad7c18e/tumblr_muca59GVKO1qb5uj1o1_1280.jpg>insane cannibals) others...not so much. Like our 3 part maze that debuted over 10 years ago(ok fine 11 still over 10). Ok technically it was 3 mazes connected by the same story. <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh6TOBq79MQ&feature=youtu.be>The Asylum(which ran from 2003-2008), <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpT8AzeTVyE>Lockdown-The Asylum(which ran from 2009-2011), and <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbAylbxh3y8>Delirium(which started in 2013 and from what we've heard they are bringing it back this year but it's still early in the year so we'll see). The story follows <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdtm_BhTWfU>a girl who was originally in the asylum and then in lockdown(which was the asylum converted into a prison)to delirium which is a look inside her head to see the madness. (or to put it better from a reviewer "Delirium takes guests into the twisted psyche of a woman named Deborah Rose, who has been subjected to horrible, evil acts her whole life. Due to Ms. Rose?s tormented upbringing, she was deemed insane, and locked away in an asylum? the Mangler Asylum. Long-time and hard core Scary Farm fans will instantly recall that the Mangler Asylum was the formal name of one of Halloween Haunt?s most disturbing attractions ever ? The Asylum. The horrors that unfold in the world of Delirium are accounts taken directly from the pages of Deborah?s journal, which she kept as she lived within the walls of the Mangler Asylum.")(also, click the link for girl before clicking the one on delirium if you want more insight into the maze which I highly advise). Basically, we are just as much of an art form as a movie. Hell, even our fucking street zones (areas outside of mazes Ie: most of the park) have stories behind them. (also thanks for making me do my research to hunt down the stupid videos which none of I am in)

Scaring people in person is actually quite easy. I think movies are harder. Because movies have the dramatic musical points that you can listen for. Whereas, our park, you DON'T know where all the monsters are and the street zone ones are constantly moving around. Some in very thick fog(what we call fog alley). So most people are already pretty jumpy when they come through. It's rare to get someone like me that you can't scare. You can startle me if you happen to catch me off guard but scare? Doesn't happen.

As far as your question on being hit, yes. We do get hit quite often. The only time we know it's reactionary is when the person reacts to us scaring them and then sits there and apologises for forever about it. This past year I got sucker punched in the left shoulder by an old man. Didn't even see him before I turned around. Didn't try to scare him. Just turned around and bam he was there and hit me. Naturally he did it out of sight of the cameras in my maze. Just like he hit one of the slave girls in our arena and one of the guys. The guy got a bloody nose. I got internal bruising. And the girl wound up with an external bruise if I remember correctly. So instead of being ejected from the park(mostly because my blackout which is our in maze security for our monsters basically was a dumbass and "didn't see it" even though it happened right in front of him)like he should have been, it was 3 monsters against him and he was just banned from our maze. Which was bullshit. The year before I had 3 girls kick me in the head(I was hanging upside down off a bed and <a href=http://gamingtimeladyfromgallifrey.tumblr.com/post/33455169968/contorting-myself-after-photos-and-getting-myself>contorting my body) and a girl kick me because I was walking behind her and scaring her friend. The year before(aka my first year) I got pinned into a corner with no blackouts or other monsters near me because a guy wanted a photo and almost sent me into a panic attack and then he went away and I had a lot of girls grope me and get scared because they apparently didn't expect me to have boobs. Apparently a lot of guys in the maze got cup checked that year too.

Also, all of us vetrans of the park despise jump scares unless they are well done. Also, I noticed just now that the past two years I've played crazy people......<a href=http://24.media.tumblr.com/1605c3f5849b362d921f8dc4b20ff42c/tumblr_mw6rxgAU551qb5uj1o1_500.jpg>insane <a href=https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/1381809_10151881788408830_221291163_n.jpg>cannibal and <a href=http://gamingtimeladyfromgallifrey.tumblr.com/post/35554635082/so-jason-took-these-photos-and-jason-is-awesome>opium addicted gentleman........but I have yet to actually do a role in which I am 100% definitely no questions asked female.... just two <a href=http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0yf2rdR611qajf2n.jpg>androgynous roles.....hmmm....Maybe this year I'll be a female. We'll see. (enjoy all the photo links and stuff there's a total f 13 links and only 4 of them are youtube videos)

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Reading this thread, I feel like a total freak because I like falling asleep to horror movies! :D Not just trailers, but the real deal.

If horror trailers/ads fall out of public exposure in any way, I worry about the effect on the genre as a whole (despite the fact that "horror" seems intent on destroying itself from the inside by relying on jump scares without a care for plot and character development). Less exposure equals less attendance, which equals a further erosion of movies produced in the genre and a decreased likelihood of a quality horror film slipping past the studio big-wigs and receiving a greenlight. The movie industry, much like gaming, is so risk-averse that it's hard enough to find anything that isn't regurgitated tripe.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I suppose this is as good a thread as any for this link.
If it's late where you are, and you scare easily, don't watch this [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUQhNGEu2KA].

Oh wait, the hyperlink makes it look as if I'm saying to "watch this". Huh, kinda funny.
So yeah, do [sub][sub][sub]not[/sub][/sub][/sub] watch that video!

Argh, what am I doing? I should embed it instead. So yeah, I'll embed it and spoiler it as well.
Seriously, don't do it.

Personally, the scarier the commercial, especially at night, the higher the chance I'll watch the movie. With the advent of cheap-ish DSLR cameras, the world is ready to tell its stories. Thankfully, some of those stories are crowd-funded, independent horror movies like Absentia, made by the same guy who directed Oculus.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
SaneAmongInsane said:
I can't imagine it ruins the advert. If something says "Something Scary Coming", if you're into that sort of thing you aren't going anywhere. If your the kind that would change the channel you aren't going to be spending on Devils Due.
Pshaw. If you're going to do a disclaimer, do it with some class, at least.

Honestly though, I can sympathize (I hate being scared, so naturally I tend to avoid the horror genre[footnote]Funnily enough, I also lament the way horror has become oversaturated with slasher films which I feel use gore as a replacement for suspense far too often...I'm weird like that[/footnote]), but honestly I have trouble relating...but then I'm pretty quick at IDing those ads anyways so it's kinda redundant on my end. :/

Aside from that though, late night is pretty much the ideal time for horror movies' target audience, so I don't think I could get behind the notion in good faith even if it were being suggested in earnest.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
canadamus_prime said:
This is just a minor pet peeve, and the same reason I don't change the channel during the commerical, I hate missing a second of the show.

As for someone else that recommend I use the DVR... There are two problems with that,

1. I like to sleep with constant white noise. Eventually the show ends. And it's just silent. It's hard to explain but it ends up screwing with my dreams in a negative way.

2. My TV in my bed room is one of those old big screen projection TVs. I nicked it off the street and it works perfect and it's the largest TV i've ever had. But being a projection TV, a static screen like the DVR menu will "Burn In" if it just stays on over night while I'm sleeping.

I fail to see how any of that is the newtwork's problem. Nor do I see any reason why they should stop showing horror movie trailers after a certain time just to accommodate you.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Blow_Pop said:

Which haunted Theme Park? Spooky World by any chance? (not 100% sure if they are still around, as I haven't been there in a long time). Since you mentioned September/October was also wondering if it might be Universal, they convert their parks after closing time while the Halloween season is there apparently to a horror theme for a different ticket.

Mostly just curious, I'm something of a genera fan and have done a ton of this stuff over the years.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
canadamus_prime said:

I fail to see how any of that is the newtwork's problem. Nor do I see any reason why they should stop showing horror movie trailers after a certain time just to accommodate you.
I'm suggesting a disclaimer, a warning of somekind.

and obviously it's not the networks problem, but I'm sick of having a nightly heart attack.

Blow_Pop said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Blow_Pop said:

Actually our mazes are themed just like a movie. Granted last year's maze I was in was basically a <a href=http://37.media.tumblr.com/37b5c433bbbf9cedf21a8c08b71efaa4/tumblr_muca59GVKO1qb5uj1o3_1280.jpg>Mad <a href=http://24.media.tumblr.com/11359fe899e1210e555a9a09d603cf3c/tumblr_muca59GVKO1qb5uj1o4_1280.jpg>Max type scenario and really not hard to pull off and do (<a href=http://37.media.tumblr.com/2d2d53be7c0ac3ad556e0e6aedb8c83a/tumblr_mu40z3JcTn1qb5uj1o2_400.jpg>insane cannibal) so not quite oranges to apples comparisons. We don't do a good job, the story of our maze isn't apparent and then sucks. Some stories are easy as shit to pull off (ie: <a href=http://24.media.tumblr.com/d0443b3e31e5bc4cfadbd88ebad7c18e/tumblr_muca59GVKO1qb5uj1o1_1280.jpg>insane cannibals) others...not so much. Like our 3 part maze that debuted over 10 years ago(ok fine 11 still over 10). Ok technically it was 3 mazes connected by the same story. <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh6TOBq79MQ&feature=youtu.be>The Asylum(which ran from 2003-2008), <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpT8AzeTVyE>Lockdown-The Asylum(which ran from 2009-2011), and <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbAylbxh3y8>Delirium(which started in 2013 and from what we've heard they are bringing it back this year but it's still early in the year so we'll see). The story follows <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdtm_BhTWfU>a girl who was originally in the asylum and then in lockdown(which was the asylum converted into a prison)to delirium which is a look inside her head to see the madness. (or to put it better from a reviewer "Delirium takes guests into the twisted psyche of a woman named Deborah Rose, who has been subjected to horrible, evil acts her whole life. Due to Ms. Rose?s tormented upbringing, she was deemed insane, and locked away in an asylum? the Mangler Asylum. Long-time and hard core Scary Farm fans will instantly recall that the Mangler Asylum was the formal name of one of Halloween Haunt?s most disturbing attractions ever ? The Asylum. The horrors that unfold in the world of Delirium are accounts taken directly from the pages of Deborah?s journal, which she kept as she lived within the walls of the Mangler Asylum.")(also, click the link for girl before clicking the one on delirium if you want more insight into the maze which I highly advise). Basically, we are just as much of an art form as a movie. Hell, even our fucking street zones (areas outside of mazes Ie: most of the park) have stories behind them. (also thanks for making me do my research to hunt down the stupid videos which none of I am in)

Scaring people in person is actually quite easy. I think movies are harder. Because movies have the dramatic musical points that you can listen for. Whereas, our park, you DON'T know where all the monsters are and the street zone ones are constantly moving around. Some in very thick fog(what we call fog alley). So most people are already pretty jumpy when they come through. It's rare to get someone like me that you can't scare. You can startle me if you happen to catch me off guard but scare? Doesn't happen.

As far as your question on being hit, yes. We do get hit quite often. The only time we know it's reactionary is when the person reacts to us scaring them and then sits there and apologises for forever about it. This past year I got sucker punched in the left shoulder by an old man. Didn't even see him before I turned around. Didn't try to scare him. Just turned around and bam he was there and hit me. Naturally he did it out of sight of the cameras in my maze. Just like he hit one of the slave girls in our arena and one of the guys. The guy got a bloody nose. I got internal bruising. And the girl wound up with an external bruise if I remember correctly. So instead of being ejected from the park(mostly because my blackout which is our in maze security for our monsters basically was a dumbass and "didn't see it" even though it happened right in front of him)like he should have been, it was 3 monsters against him and he was just banned from our maze. Which was bullshit. The year before I had 3 girls kick me in the head(I was hanging upside down off a bed and <a href=http://gamingtimeladyfromgallifrey.tumblr.com/post/33455169968/contorting-myself-after-photos-and-getting-myself>contorting my body) and a girl kick me because I was walking behind her and scaring her friend. The year before(aka my first year) I got pinned into a corner with no blackouts or other monsters near me because a guy wanted a photo and almost sent me into a panic attack and then he went away and I had a lot of girls grope me and get scared because they apparently didn't expect me to have boobs. Apparently a lot of guys in the maze got cup checked that year too.

Also, all of us vetrans of the park despise jump scares unless they are well done. Also, I noticed just now that the past two years I've played crazy people......<a href=http://24.media.tumblr.com/1605c3f5849b362d921f8dc4b20ff42c/tumblr_mw6rxgAU551qb5uj1o1_500.jpg>insane <a href=https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/1381809_10151881788408830_221291163_n.jpg>cannibal and <a href=http://gamingtimeladyfromgallifrey.tumblr.com/post/35554635082/so-jason-took-these-photos-and-jason-is-awesome>opium addicted gentleman........but I have yet to actually do a role in which I am 100% definitely no questions asked female.... just two <a href=http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0yf2rdR611qajf2n.jpg>androgynous roles.....hmmm....Maybe this year I'll be a female. We'll see. (enjoy all the photo links and stuff there's a total f 13 links and only 4 of them are youtube videos)
If I recall the Haunted Mansion at Disney use to have actual costume characters, and people would actually bring weapons to the park to hit the actors with... They eventually had to put up a sign telling people they couldn't hit the actors.

I find the whole thing interesting though, so like what are the circumstances where you drop character or are allowed to drop character?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
canadamus_prime said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
canadamus_prime said:

I'm suggesting a disclaimer, a warning of somekind.

and obviously it's not the networks problem, but I'm sick of having a nightly heart attack.
As I've already pointed out there are solutions to this that don't involve metaphorically beating your head against a wall because the network is to going to change how they operate just to accommodate you.