WANT...TO...KILL

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
Let's face it, most to all commerical retailers are completely inept when it comes to video games.

So I go into JB-Hi Fi in Perth (The one that broke the Street Fighter IV street date), to pick up a copy of the Lost and Damned expansion pack for GTA IV. I see the box on the shelf, I grab it and I take it up to the front desk. The cashier scans the box and gives it to me. I think, 'hang on, is the game card in here?', so I give the box a rattle.

It rattles, so I think the game card is in there. So I get home and open the box up and what do I find? NO FREAKIN' CARD! Turns out the rattling was caused by the cardboard box liner which occupied the game box.

So, my question is, ahve you ever gotten home from a game shop to find the disk not actually in the box, and what sorts of measures of revenge did you extract on the people who sold it to you?

Jul 9, 2008
Hey Joe said:
Let's face it, most to all commerical retailers are completely inept when it comes to video games.

So I go into JB-Hi Fi in Perth (The one that broke the Street Fighter IV street date), to pick up a copy of the Lost and Damned expansion pack for GTA IV. I see the box on the shelf, I grab it and I take it up to the front desk. The cashier scans the box and gives it to me. I think, 'hang on, is the game card in here?', so I give the box a rattle.

It rattles, so I think the game card is in there. So I get home and open the box up and what do I find? NO FREAKIN' CARD! Turns out the rattling was caused by the cardboard box liner which occupied the game box.

So, my question is, ahve you ever gotten home from a game shop to find the disk not actually in the box, and what sorts of measures of revenge did you extract on the people who sold it to you?
...asking for a refund or exchange, which they gave with their apologies?

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
The first time I bought the original Saints' Row the disk wasn't in the case. But I got it at the major national chain retailer where I work part time, so they just gave me a full refund because they didn't have another copy. I wasn't mad at the store, but instead at the little wankers who cracked the case and stole the disc. Stupid punks.

And yes, I realize the irony of having violent thoughts against people who stole what amounts to a criminally overpriced thievery and murder simulator.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Well that sure does suck. I've never had that happen to me, except for I think I rented a game from Blockbuster...but that was long ago. I probably either got a different game or no game at all.

I tend to open my games on my way home, just to read the instruction manual or that brand new game smell...just like a new car, but with more game =P

Calax

Jan 16, 2009
Actually this happens more than you'd think at my gamestop simply because people are going through the motions of the transaction on autopilot and skip the step marked "get disk into case" in their mental checkoff list. Usually they come back in and we give them the best looking disk we've got.

SmoothGlover

Dec 3, 2008
Mr.Pandah said:
Well that sure does suck. I've never had that happen to me, except for I think I rented a game from Blockbuster...but that was long ago. I probably either got a different game or no game at all.

I tend to open my games on my way home, just to read the instruction manual or that brand new game smell...just like a new car, but with more game =P
Yeah i do that, everyone loves that new-manual smell. Plus there is nothing better than an instruction manual with a bit of back-story in there to occupy your time as you sweep back to your platform of choice.
*sighs* God i love games.

ArcadianTrance

Jan 11, 2009
Mr.Pandah said:

Ahh yes, I love that smell. That problem has never happened to me before so no revenge, maybe I should get preemptive vengence just in case though.

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
orannis62 said:
Hey Joe said:

...asking for a refund or exchange, which they gave with their apologies?
Let's not get crazy here.
The only obvious solution is their untimely demise.

EDIT:
TheBluesader said:
The first time I bought the original Saints' Row the disk wasn't in the case. But I got it at the major national chain retailer where I work part time, so they just gave me a full refund because they didn't have another copy. I wasn't mad at the store, but instead at the little wankers who cracked the case and stole the disc. Stupid punks.

And yes, I realize the irony of having violent thoughts against people who stole what amounts to a thievery and murder simulator.
But without playing the murder simulator, you wouldn't know how to commit the murders!
Jack Thompson told me so.
He lives in my closet.
He would live in someone's closet...

Jul 9, 2008
SmoothGlover said:
Mr.Pandah said:

Yeah i do that, everyone loves that new-manual smell. Plus there is nothing better than an instruction manual with a bit of back-story in there to occupy your time as you sweep back to your platform of choice.
I think we can all agree that, no matter what the quality of the game is, that new manual smell is worth all the money the game costs.

...I have problems, don't I?

Nexus424

Master Of All That Is Frosty
Dec 26, 2008
I think I would close to explode if something like that happened to me. Depending on the game I would have to enter the store the same way the Main character would and demand my cash back or a replacement in either fashion.

They better hope I wasn't buying GTA or Manhunt

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
I bought a copy of NFL street 2 for my xbox from I believe it was E.B. The disk looked fine, but it simply would not run, and kept telling me the disk was dirty, no matter how much I cleaned it. I am still plotting (although they were swallowed up by gamestop)

How do you sleep at night with Jack Thompson in your closet?

panthrjd

Nov 4, 2007
So... you're blaming a retailer for an error in the factory's packaging?

Jack Thompson's been disbarred... he can probably only afford to live in someone's closet.

SmoothGlover

Dec 3, 2008
orannis62 said:
SmoothGlover said:
Mr.Pandah said:

I think we can all agree that, no matter what the quality of the game is, that new manual smell is worth all the money the game costs.

Totally worth it, i would buy it as aftershave.

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
panthrjd said:
So... you're blaming a retailer for an error in the factory's packaging?

Jack Thompson's been disbarred... he can probably only afford to live in someone's closet.
No, the sales assistant for not putting the game card in there when I went to purchase the game (as is the acceoted norm)

Jul 9, 2008
SmoothGlover said:
orannis62 said:
SmoothGlover said:
Mr.Pandah said:

Totally worth it, i would buy it as aftershave.
Oh, it isn't just me! Thank go... wait a second. Now I'm not unique! NO!

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
BigDragun987 said:
I think I would close to explode if something like that happened to me. Depending on the game I would have to enter the store the same way the Main character would and demand my cash back or a replacement in either fashion.

They better hope I wasn't buying GTA or Manhunt
Or Okami. Seriously, how THE FUCK would you pull that off?