War of the Roses Preview

jez29

Nov 18, 2009
yayforgiveaway said:
Ever heard about warband?
My thoughts exactly, as far as I can see this is Mount and Blade with perks - which is no bad thing. Looking forward to Mount and Blade 2 far more though, since we know that Taleworlds can deliver the goods.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
jez29 said:
yayforgiveaway said:
Ever heard about warband?
My thoughts exactly, as far as I can see this is Mount and Blade with perks - which is no bad thing. Looking forward to Mount and Blade 2 far more though, since we know that Taleworlds can deliver the goods.
Bump. Mount and Blade rather ninja'd on this concept.

Teddy Roosevelt

Nov 11, 2009
Steve Butts said:
War of the Roses Preview

Meet Call of Duty: Medieval Warfare.

Read Full Article
TO be fair, Mr. Butts, plate and mail was fairly heavy, and while it may not have restricted in terms of range of motion as much as everyone thinks, though I think it pretty nearly did, it was in all about 70 pounds of sheet and ring steel. No matter where those 70 pounds are, those are 70 pounds that will slow you down quite a bit.

OT: Also, this looks quite like a game I'd like to get.

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
This sounds like it'd be a lot of fun. It'd be great if they could work in a parry mechanic. Online duels. Kickass!

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
"And it was in this humble florist's that the war of the roses began."

I'm sorry, that was pretty much the only thing going through my head for that entire article.

Anyway, seems intesesting to say the least.

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
I hope it's going to be more accesible than Warband.

Sure it's a great game, but there are too many experienced players with waaaay to much time played on those multiplayer servers. You don't stand a chance, mostly.

Whodat

Jul 14, 2009
A few pals and I are super pumped for this. Mount and Blade: Warband was an awesome time-sink, especially the single-player. Cannot wait till GDC to see some gameplay.

-Torchedini-

Gone Bonzo
Dec 28, 2009
looks promising. Hopefully the polish on this game is better because Paradox games are renown for their buggy state. Just like Bethesda's games.

Also played the heck out of warband. But the blocking is a little finicky to be really useful.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
zombie711 said:
so do you get to pretend you eat the dog?
No, but you do get to piss on the fish...

While the idea of the game interests me, I don't like first person melee games, if there is a third person camera, maybe I'd be interested. Of course I'd be on chat reminding everyone that we are currently actually in the Winter of our discontent, and that it won't be made glorious Summer by that Son of York for quite some time yet.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I'll have to get a look at gameplay before I get excited for this, because I'm having a hard time imagining what it would actually be like, exactly.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Being that I'm an actual descendent of the House of Lancaster, I almost feel like I have to check this out. Err...would it be traitorous for me to play as York?

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
I guess Mr. Butts hasn't played Mount and Blade. Yeah, I got ninja'd at least 4 times. Who cares? It bears repeating. Mount and Blade kicks ass, and if this game uses the same combat system but with CoD style loadouts rather than Counter Strike style loadouts, that's just all the better for me. I generally use the same stuff every round, and it'll be nice to start out in full plate armor swinging my 2 handed sword around, rather than having to spend half the round just saving up the gold for that stuff. I'm also loving the thought of customizing the way my character looks. I loved the customization they had in Mount and Blade, I can't wait to see what we can do in War of the Roses.
Hopefully they fix the network code so I can set up LAN/small multiplayer matches with my little brother and a few of the friends I have who own the game. Also, I'd love to be able to add bots to my matches. It's not everyone's cup of tea to fight the AI, but I love taking on 5+ bot enemies for every human player and seeing how long we can last. A co-op mode, if you will. My other favorite thing to do with my little brother was set all our guys to stand in a line behind us, we'd duel in the middle, then the AI partners of whoever died would then rush the victor to see who really won.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
INF1NIT3 D00M said:
I guess Mr. Butts hasn't played Mount and Blade. Yeah, I got ninja'd at least 4 times. Who cares? It bears repeating. Mount and Blade kicks ass, and if this game uses the same combat system but with CoD style loadouts rather than Counter Strike style loadouts, that's just all the better for me. I generally use the same stuff every round, and it'll be nice to start out in full plate armor swinging my 2 handed sword around, rather than having to spend half the round just saving up the gold for that stuff. I'm also loving the thought of customizing the way my character looks. I loved the customization they had in Mount and Blade, I can't wait to see what we can do in War of the Roses.
Hopefully they fix the network code so I can set up LAN/small multiplayer matches with my little brother and a few of the friends I have who own the game. Also, I'd love to be able to add bots to my matches. It's not everyone's cup of tea to fight the AI, but I love taking on 5+ bot enemies for every human player and seeing how long we can last. A co-op mode, if you will. My other favorite thing to do with my little brother was set all our guys to stand in a line behind us, we'd duel in the middle, then the AI partners of whoever died would then rush the victor to see who really won.
Mount & Blade is not an easy to get into game. The intention of these guys is to make medieval gameplay more accessible in a similar way to Call of Duty or other First Person Shooters.

Too early to tell how similar it will be to Mount & Blade.