War of the Roses Preview

yayforgiveaway

Aug 25, 2009
Teddy Roosevelt said:
No matter where those 70 pounds are, those are 70 pounds that will slow you down quite a bit.
No, a very big NO, sir. Wear one and then start posting. They don't slow you down or constrain movement in a way everybody envisions (important fact is that that depends on the level of craftsmanship). You'll tire more quickly but not as fast as you'd think. Having the weight distributed in a right way is a lifesaver.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
Exactly. If the full 70lbs was on your arms and legs you would tire quickly. But consider item weights like in Skyrim - half the weight was on the chest and the rest was split between extremities. An added 5lb weight on each arm would be noticeable but not unbearable.

Drenaje1

Aug 6, 2011
Sounds...fascinating. I might give it a look. And if it turns out to be solid, I hope to high hell it doesn't slip under the radar.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010

Walk past the farm, stand on hill looking slightly east, see my house!
(ahh Yorkshire)

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
As much as I love M&B, this looks rather more polished and I might stand a chance online.
I wait for this with bated breath.

weker

May 27, 2009
I look forward to it, hopefully it's like mount and blade but is more polished.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
I agree that Mount and Blade multiplayer is hard to get into. That's usually why I play with friends of similar skill level. We'll make our own server and just kick anyone that's insanely good because it's no fun fighting them.

I also found that in a small server like that they tend to get really mad if you simply refuse to defend yourself against them. They kill you a few times, get bored and move on. This only works when you're dealing with a very low population server.

I am looking forward to this one though. I enjoyed M&B and I hope they use a good combat model in this game.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
I must say that I was skeptical when they announced this one on the Paradox Interactive forums, but now I think it might very well be a game I'll enjoy playing. The devs' communication has been great, and they seem to have a pretty good vision of what they are doing. In the end of course, it's down to the playability of the combat model.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
PhunkyPhazon said:
Being that I'm an actual descendent of the House of Lancaster, I almost feel like I have to check this out. Err...would it be traitorous for me to play as York?
A Lancastrian? GET THE USURPER!

(Yeah, I'm from York... "Now is the winter etc."}

Do you actually get to play as Richard III or Henry Tudor? That'd be awesome.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Juding from the Youtube reactions and even some posts here, this game could lead to some PlanetSide-level team dedication.

And you know what? That's awesome!!! It's about time people really band together in an online game and want to win.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
maninahat said:
PhunkyPhazon said:
Being that I'm an actual descendent of the House of Lancaster, I almost feel like I have to check this out. Err...would it be traitorous for me to play as York?
A Lancastrian? GET THE USURPER!

(Yeah, I'm from York... "Now is the winter etc."}

Do you actually get to play as Richard III or Henry Tudor? That'd be awesome.
putowtin said:

Walk past the farm, stand on hill looking slightly east, see my house!
(ahh Yorkshire)
One Lancastrian here and apparently three Yorkshiremen (including myself, plus if you look at my avatar, I'm already packing steel) I think we out number him boys. Have at him. Apparently there is still some bad blood between us and the Lancaster lads over that little bit of history, however I've not seen much of it. Thought those from Lancaster didn't much like us cause they were jealous of how awesome we are :p

Though I imagine you'd be able to play both sides (think I already know which side I'll be taking). Can't wait to give it a try :).

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
CUnk said:
Pfft. Story and setting sounds like a total Game of Thrones ripoff.
I see what you did there....

Despite Mount and Blade having already done this sort of thing, competition is always good. And this might be more polished and work better online.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Yeah, but if they're aiming for a more mainstream audience then cue dozens of people taking the crossbow and trying to play 'sniper'. Why partake in a dramatic melee when you can lie on a hill and repeatedly miss for the entire battle?

Blunderboy said:
CUnk said:
What?
It's based on actual history.

God I hope you're trolling.
But much of Game of Thrones was based on the War of the Roses.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Geo Da Sponge said:
Yeah, but if they're aiming for a more mainstream audience then cue dozens of people taking the crossbow and trying to play 'sniper'. Why partake in a dramatic melee when you can lie on a hill and repeatedly miss for the entire battle?

Blunderboy said:
CUnk said:
What?

But much of Game of Thrones was based on the War of the Roses.

Ah with you now.
I've only seen the TV series. I haven't read the books and nothing really narrowed it down to the War of the Roses for me.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Major Tom said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
Or try and take shot far beyond the Crossbow's effective range and have the bolt just bounce off all that lovely plate armour! (assuming such a mechanic exists......but if so, I shall savour the tears of the ragers.)
Good grief, I certainly hope so! No more of this Deadliest Warrior "Shooting an arrow straight into a piece of armour at point-blank range pierces it, so it's useless" nonsense!

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I'm all for competitive multiplayer games that aren't modern military shooters. There's a Half-Life 2 mod called Age of Chivalry that's similar in concept to this, and what Dark Messiah did (capture points, teams, etc. but with swords and arrows). That might've taken it a little towards the hardcore end of the spectrum though, what with the no aiming reticle, even for the projectiles.

Blunderboy said:
CUnk said:
What?

Something so completely outrageous as that is obviously a joke.