War of the Wyrms: Accepting Players

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
Dramatic Flare said:
Actually, it was. The problem was that since we were dealing with nested spoiler boxes, the Escapist system just dropped text after a particular number. I didn't notice until recently, and decided to take off every character not currently being used (there were a few before yours) so your character sheet would show completely.

Anyhoo... just noticed after reviewing that sheet myself, but the bonus to Enfeebling strike is actually 7 for you Figment. Not that you needed it this turn, but you actually only added 4.

Enfeebling Strike: +7 vs AC. 1d8 + 4 damage. If you marked the target, it takes -2 attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

Ah, and combat's done. Act in whatever order you wish.

The halfling takes a ferocious blow from Reggie, sinking to his knees and clutching his chest.
The bandit halfling quails. "I surrender! I surrender!"
Actually that's not the first time i forgot to put 7 instead of 4 but it is the first time i didn't catch myself.

Also you put Figment instead of reginald/reggie

Reginald goes and grabs the Halfling, lifting him up by the neck. He lifted the halfling enough so he could see Reginald's face and see that Reginald wasn't happy, infact, he had adpoted and outright wrathful and cruel face.

"And why were you attacking us it the first place? Who sent you?"

Reginald had a good idea of who but he figured he couldn't just go storming in without proof. He needed to confirm that this was the bandit hideout they were searching for instead of it being just a place that the bandits came to to attack them and stop them early.

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Strolling over to the sobbing mess outside, Marisa loomed over him purposefully.
'Well then. Tell me everything you know, and maybe you'll be able to turn over a new leaf today, eh? How many of you are there, and where is your main hideout? Do you have a leader?'

<spoiler=Intimidate roll, in case it's needed>17+9=26

Combined

Sep 13, 2008
Wulfstain leaves the others to do their interrogation. He has other business to take care of and a few scoundrels can wait a little while. There are bigger things at play here than brigands, he feels, and the blessings of the War God will be useful in the long run.

He drags the bandit corpses outside, gathering them in a row, and proceeds to take some small token of their defeat - teeth, finger bones and other such trophies that he can later adorn his armour with. Snapping bone and loud cracks follow this action and it's a little frightening, really.

Wulfstain uses his blood to write Dwarven messages on the corpses, most of which revolve around them meeting a better fate in the next world than they did in this one.

Finally, he carefully searches the corpses for anything of use, since anything that can help them on their quest will surely put the souls of the dead on the path to redemption. Or so he thinks, anyway.

What do you roll for searching, anyway? Perception?

I'll give that a roll, just in case.

13+2=15

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
Reggie needs to roll intimidate. Also, edited. Thanks for pointing it out Figment.

Combined, how does 13 + 2 = 17?

Marisa's bandit hyperventilates for a moment. "Okay. I'll tell. Down in the forest at the base of this mountain-" but at that exact moment, an arrow flies in from the hills and expertly impales the man's eye, killing him.

Combined

Sep 13, 2008
Dramatic Flare said:
Reggie needs to roll intimidate. Also, edited. Thanks for pointing it out Figment.

Combined, how does 13 + 2 = 17?
Sorry about that, I accidentally added another +2 to that. Edited.

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Marisa instinctively flings her shield up in front of her and stares in the direction the arrow seemed to come from. She shouts.
'Reggie, keep the halfling inside!'

<spoiler=Perception roll>19+2=21

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
"Right!" Reginald said. He then dragged the halfling back some, away from the door and said, "Looks like your friends are willing to kill you to try and keep their secrets. If i were you i'd sing like a canary, hoping that your captors are willing to let you live and not throw you out to be mercilessly slaughtered by your would-be commrades."

Intimidate: 14+4=18

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
Wulfstain discovers a small trove within a pouch on one of their assailants. There is an amulet which immediately strikes him as magical, and 120 gold pieces. The other men had nothing.

"They know we failed? They know we failed! I'm a dead man no matter what you do! I'm dead, dead dead... You're all dead, do you here? All dead!" The halfling raves on continuously, not really afraid of Reggie. After a moment, he begins to struggle towards the door against him.

Try as she might, Marisa can not find the source of the arrow. Nor can she tell where a half dozen flaming arrows suddenly fly from. They land on the wooden slats of the bar's roof, and soon it begins to blaze.

The bartender hops his bar and rushes outside, obviously afraid. Other miners are attracted by the sudden blaze in the early night.

I could make you have to identify the magic item, but for the sake of flow I'll just let you guys have it.

Amulet of Protection
This light blue amulet increases your defenses.
Lvl 1 +1 360 gp
Item Slot: Neck
Enhancement: Fortitude, Reflex, and Will

Also, you people split 950 exp, which is 316 apiece with 2 left over.

Small note: these rewards, while perfectly acceptable within an actual D&D 4e game, are a bit high. You're running this game at 2x rewards and experience. I say this not to make you guys feel less awesome, but because I don't want you confused if you go to a different DM and the numbers per encounter seem low to you.

Combined

Sep 13, 2008
I'll try another Intimidation roll as 18 seems a bit low.

16+5=21.

Acting surprisingly swiftly, Wulfstain gives the amulet to Marisa and rushes into the bar, motions for Reggie to leave before the fire spreads too much for the tall ones to survive, and grabs the halfling with all of his might and drags him away, not bothered by the fire in the slightest. He lifts the halfling up against a wall where the flame is strongest.

He speaks slowly, anger evident in his voice. "Tell us who hired you or where we can find them and I will grant you a swift, honourable death. If you won't, I'll let you suffer here and hound you in the next world and the next, until your very soul is torn apart under the relentless assault of the War God's hounds."

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Marisa growls a Draconic curse as she slips the amulet on and grabs the bartender as he darts past. 'Water', she barks.
'We can put this out before it spreads too much.'

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
Reginald let the dwarf take over the job of harassing the halfling and headed outside. He then sat down, cross-legged and waited for water. In his mind the tavern was long gone which is why he didn't worry about it. What he worried about was the fire spreading to other buildings so if the water did show up he would try to prevent the spread.

(to himself)'This would be so much easier if i knew some water magic...'

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
The Halfling only sturggles harder against Wulfstain. He actually begins kicking and even tries to bite.
"Dead I tell you! Dead!"
The fire begins to close off the exit.

The bartender nods to Marisa, glad to have something to do away. "Everyone! Get buckets! Keep the flames from spreading!"

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
'Line up! Form a queue to pass the buckets on!' Marisa shouted and commanded, trying to organise the excited townsfolk. She grabs Reggie by the arm.
'I need you to get Wulf out of the tavern and then scout the hills for archers with him. Start in the direction behind the houses.'
She grit her teeth and pondered. They had to come from somewhere outside my field of vision. I'll show those bandits who they're messing with.

Combined

Sep 13, 2008
Wulfstain growled in anger as he tossed the halfling away into burning wood, probably setting him on fire and rendering him unconscious, even if it wasn't what he was going for. Still, this rogue was useless to their quest. Let the Gods deal with him.

He looked at the exit and steadied himself for a few seconds, gathering strength and preparing to charge through anything in his way.

Moments later, he was rushing forward through the burning building at his top speed, which wasn't that much, as he used all of his remaining force to crash through whatever barrier prevented his egress and end up on the other side, scathed or otherwise.

He must really stop getting into these situations one day.

In case it's necessary, I thought I'd make the rolls that'd SEEM logical for this situation.
Athletics: 20+2=22
Acrobatics: 17-2=15
Endurance: 15+6=21

Dang, that seem pretty good. I feel a critical miss around the corner somewhere now...Oh dear.

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
"Alright." Reggie said, pulling his arm away from her in as non-insulting/angry way as he could (seeing as how he isn't angry that would be redundant) and afterwards walking towards the tavern.

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
I'm going to rule that you've taken 2d8 fire damage, averaged to 8. That knocks you down to about 10 hp. I'm not certain of the exact number.
Anyway, my point being, if you're going to be running around in the hills, it would be a good idea to take a short rest first. It'll give you back your used encounter abilities, and you can spend healing surges to regain lost hitpoints. Since you're all Paladins, you should have plenty.

Wulfstain moves out of the flames, somewhat scorched. Within, they can hear the anguished cries of the halfling.
"Someone is still in there! We should try and help!" a miner calls. The bartender keeps silent.

The bucket brigade starts to wash down the nearby buildings, judging the bar itself a loss. A few miners grab pick axes, and begin to hack into the stone wall near where they hear the cries coming from.

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
Reggie walked up to Wulf and, after letting Wulf collect himself, said, "You muight want to rest up for a bit. Marisa wants us to go looking around the hills for the bastards who attacked us."

Combined

Sep 13, 2008
Scorched, bleeding and with the curious odour of burnt halfling. This has been a very, very good day so far. Wulfstain seemed a little dazed as he stumbled away, barely able to hear Reggie's voice over the crackling fire and the sounds burning halflings tend to make.

He mumbles something in dwarven as a reply, as he picks up his slightly burnt journal and inscribed a few words, like a description, into the already rather long list of names and descriptions. He huffs and places it back by his side as he takes a moment to wrap his wounds, hammer out any dents in the armour with any tools that he can borrow and clean the surface to make it as close to gleaming as possible.

If you're smiting evil, it's also for the best to look good.

I'm going to take a short rest now annnnd use 3 Healing Surges to get myself up to full points.

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Marisa was pleased. The task of putting the fire out was now autonomously progressing. She sat down by Wulfstain to rest and pray.

<spoiler=Healing>I think Marisa has 24 HP, so I'll spend one healing surge for 8 HP and end up at 32/34. Surges left: 11/12

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
Just learned in about two weeks that i'm going to lose the internet AGAIN. This time though i don't know for how long(preferibly for two weeks but since of the economy and the loss of jobs it maybe two months). I'm going to get a job along with my mom to help out around the house and help pay for the internet but it may take a while to get one. Like i said I won't lose it right away but don't be suprised if i just stop posting around that time. Hopefully in my absence i won't miss much and i will be returning to see this through. Just a little forewarning.

Reggie stood by his allies, watching them rest. He thought back to the battle they were just in and realized he hadn't even been hit once. He then remarked to himself about how he shouldn't even think that as to not jinx himself and then hoped that such luck would stay with him in the future.