Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos To Get First Patch In Four Years

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos To Get First Patch In Four Years

It's been more than four years since Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos got a patch. Well, the wait is over, as a new update is coming on March 15.

Blizzard's classic games team is working extra hard lately. First we get word that a patch for Diablo 2 was added [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166793-Diablo-2-Suddenly-Gets-Another-Patch], and now we get word that an update for Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos will be coming on Tuesday, March 15.

There has been no announcement on the official Warcraft 3 site on Battle.net, but a video aimed at the Chinese market was caught by user Back2Warcraft [http://kotaku.com/warcraft-iii-gets-a-fresh-patch-next-week-four-years-a-1764540336] in which Blizzard's classic games chief Robert Bridenbecker reveals that patch 1.27 will drop simultaneously worldwide in two days. Unfortunately, he didn't give any details on what the patch would include, but if it is similar to the Diablo 2 patch, it will probably mostly contain tweaks to make the game run better on newer systems.

The last patch for the game came in March 2011.

That's two classic games down. I guess that means StarCraft is next ... or maybe Lost Vikings.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/warcraft-iii-gets-a-fresh-patch-next-week-four-years-a-1764540336]

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
Huh, in my experience the patched version of Warcraft 3 ran fine on most of my computers, even has support for 16:9 resolutions. I'm hoping they re-release the classic Warcraft 1/2 possibly in some sort of dosbox configuration next. Also it would be awesome if I could get sc1 to work on modern operating systems as well, but I think that would be more difficult than just packaging up Warcraft 1/2 with dosbox.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
sonicneedslovetoo said:
Huh, in my experience the patched version of Warcraft 3 ran fine on most of my computers, even has support for 16:9 resolutions. I'm hoping they re-release the classic Warcraft 1/2 possibly in some sort of dosbox configuration next. Also it would be awesome if I could get sc1 to work on modern operating systems as well, but I think that would be more difficult than just packaging up Warcraft 1/2 with dosbox.
There are alternative engines and BNet edition for WC2. SC1 runs fine on modern OS with adding one simple .bat file to shut down WinExplorer before launch (also, there are half-virtual solutions for net play as well).

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Thanks Blizzard. For whatever it may be. You're the absolute best. Maybe.

Why announcing a patch and not saying what it patches in particular?

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
What i don't get is why don't they just make a HD remake for this game. And sell it for like 20$. Problem solved and money in their pockets.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
WarCraft 3 was released in China? I thought the Chinese have cultural issues with undead things.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Tiamat666 said:
WarCraft 3 was released in China? I thought the Chinese have cultural issues with undead things.
While I'm not sure what they tweaked in Warcraft 3, in the version of WoW released in China, any undead creatures were tweaked so their bones would be covered by the flesh and I think outright skeleton enemies were removed. I imagine it would be the same here.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Evonisia said:
Tiamat666 said:
While I'm not sure what they tweaked in Warcraft 3, in the version of WoW released in China, any undead creatures were tweaked so their bones would be covered by the flesh and I think outright skeleton enemies were removed. I imagine it would be the same here.
Wait, as in, outright removed? Completely?

Well, guess the Scourge faction would be nerfed into oblivion. No more right clicking for hot undead action. :(

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
008Zulu said:
I hope they replace Illidan's fight with Arthas with a proper CG cinematic.

it'll be a patch to mostly help it integrate with modern tech and the current battle.net so I wouldn't get my hopes up for any actual improvements that aren't new screen ratios.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
karloss01 said:
008Zulu said:
I hope they replace Illidan's fight with Arthas with a proper CG cinematic.

it'll be a patch to mostly help it integrate with modern tech and the current battle.net so I wouldn't get my hopes up for any actual improvements that aren't new screen ratios.
I'm hoping they will support modern screen ratios, but I won't be surprised if they won't do it.

Gali

Nov 19, 2009
The screenshot of this article is from the SC II Mod Armies of Azeroth, not the original game. Just fyi since that is what the news is about.

Not surprising that WC III is still somewhat popular in China. Guess a lot of people kept playing the original Dota, or maybe even the actual RTS. I wonder if those scenes are comparable to how SC BroodWar is doing in Korea these days...