Warcraft Movie Cast Revealed

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Warcraft Movie Cast Revealed

Universal Pictures is also in final stages of negotiation with Dominic Cooper to star in the film.

Universal Pictures has revealed it has closed deals with Ben Foster (The Messenger, 3:10 To Yuma, Lone Survivor, Kill Your Darlings, X-Men: The Last Stand), Travis Fimmel (Vikings), Paula Patton (Baggage Claim, 2 Guns, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Precious), Toby Kebbell (The Councilor, The East, Wrath of the Titans, War Horse, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, and Rob Kazinsky (True Blood, EastEnders, Pacific Rim) to appear in the upcoming Warcraft movie adaption.

Dominic Cooper (Captain America, Mamma Mia) is currently in negotiations with the studio for a starring role.

Other actors who were previously rumored for the film but not confirmed in the official press release: Colin Farrell, Paul Dano, Anton Yelchin and Anson Mount. Back in September, we heard that Farrell was reportedly negotiating [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128040-Colin-Farrell-May-Star-in-Warcraft-Movie] for a starring role, and was "50/50" on whether he will accept it or not. I guess he did not.

Production of the movie, which was penned by Charles Leavitt and rewritten by Duncan Jones, is set to begin in January 2014, aiming for a December 2015 release date.

Someone with more knowledge of movies and TV shows will have to fill me in on these actors, as I can't vouch for their ability off the top of my head. Rob Kazinsky was pretty good in Pacific Rim I guess.

Source: Slashfilm [http://www.slashfilm.com/warcraft-cast-revealed/]

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Travis Fimmel is kind of exciting, i think he is a quite an upcoming talent. Really dig his acting in vikings, even though a lot of people seem to hate on that program for not being "historically accurate". I enjoyed it a lot. Especially Mr Fimmel, outshone in that show only by one of the many Baldwyns.. er.. i mean Skarsgards.

Also quite like Toby Kebbell - quite the versatile actor, though plays the pompous assholery type the best.

And really really like Dominic Cooper even if he isn't confirmed yet. He may turn out to be a one trick pony, i'm not sure, but i like him. Here's hoping he plays a goblin lol.

Only know Paula Patton from Deja Vu, and she was.. okay i guess, nothing amazing, but nothing terrible.

Rob Kazinsky isn't bad either, but haven't seen a whole lot of variation from him. Assholery seems to be his forte as well.

Cautiously optimistic about this film with Mr Jones at the writing and directing helm, as well as the effects team it has behind it, and now the cast is actually looking like it may shape up nicely.

edit: Anson Mount although not confirmed would be awesome. Grim bastard he is.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I still don't know why this movie is happening. Does anyone really want a WoW movie? Like, anyone at all?

I really can't imagine it being any good, but then, I have no faith in film adaptations of games anyway.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Dear Blizzard: Just throw money at the people who've been doing your intros and cutscenes since Diablo 2 and have them do their thing. It would be better for everyone involved...

Tar Palantir

Jan 16, 2012
Jandau said:
Dear Blizzard: Just throw money at the people who've been doing your intros and cutscenes since Diablo 2 and have them do their thing. It would be better for everyone involved...
Yes Blizzard, let's also involve your terrific writers for script and story.....no, wait, NOOOOO!!

But really, I couldn't care less.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
So no A-list people? Considering the expected scale of this project it kinda makes you think that they are running a tight budget.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
MrBaskerville said:
So no A-list people? Considering the expected scale of this project it kinda makes you think that they are running a tight budget.
I assume they've chosen lesser known actors because a massive A-lister's persona tends to dominate the character they're portraying.

Fappy said:
I still don't know why this movie is happening. Does anyone really want a WoW movie? Like, anyone at all?
The entirety [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole] of the Warcraft fanbase.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Still not fussed about this but it is looking better lately. Focus on the orcs instead of the boring faction and no Colin Farrel with his annoying fucking eyebrows? Yes please.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
There is no way I can imagine this movie to be 'good'. It will be either 'Star Wars I' or 'Dragon Wars' bad.

There is no need for this movie. As said above, let the animators make it (but really do get better writers for the thing Blizzards writing team is awful and cliche)

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
The only people who specifically do not want a Warcraft movie are those who hate warcraft, and those who believe that every videogame movie ever sucks (Which while possibly mostly true in the past, well... SOMEONE'S going to have to break the chain eventually.).

And as for those who say "Get the animators make it"? They're animators. They're not necessarily writers. Sure they can do a 3 minute short and make it bloody awesome, but there's a big difference between a 3 minute short and a 2 hour movie. It's harder than you people think.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Wait, this is live action?

God, they are more crazy then I thought, and I already thought this was crazy and pointless.

Kinda hope for another phantom menace bomb just because I was too young at the time to really live through that and I'd like to see people scream.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Am I missing something or is there not a single woman in that list?

Edit: Oh wait no, there's a single woman.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I've not seen enough of any of these guys to really judge how good they will be. If Rob Kazinsky sticks to his arsehole persona I've seen in Pacific Rim (and ashamedly, Eastenders) but doesn't put on an accent he'll be pretty good.

Qage

Sep 11, 2013
Soo.. wait a minute, they're doing this live action? So when they released those really fantastic cgi cutscenes and intro scenes and people said they want a movie at that calibre, why did they opt for live action instead?

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Rob Kazinsky and Toby Kebbel. I am slightly more interested.

I'm thinking Arthas for Kazinsky. I didn't think much of him until he pimp slapped Sookie in True Blood. But that was hilarious and he pulled off a seemingly decent bloke, who suddenly turned into an asshole nicely. Although Arthas was a dick before he went after Frostmourne.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Fappy said:

I really can't imagine it being any good, but then, I have no faith in film adaptations of games anyway.
From a business standpoihnt it makes sense in the long term. Warcraft along with call of duty makes up a massive portion of actiblizz's total annual profit. Trouble is WoW only has a few more years left in it and, as it stands now, once its gone the IP will be pretty much dead. While there are certainly still some people left that are invested enough in the story to care about something like Warcraft 4, it'd be nowhere remotely near the profitibility of wow.

WoW had its 9th anniversary last month. Try to think of a single gamer you know that hasn't tried wow ro or knows someone that has. Within the world of gamers anyone that is going to play warcraft, has. The only way that the franchise has a chance to continue in the future is to draw in a new audience, and going mainstream is the best way to do that.

Imagine if the movie came out and was Avatar levels of awesome. Now imagine if there was a video game made to go along with it that, rather than being made by some shovelware dev, was made by one of the titans of the industry working on a property that they have already had massive success with in two completely different genres. If they can pull it off.... You can see how its an attractive idea.

Of all the gaming studios in the world only Blizzard, and perhaps Bethesda, have the dedication to their IP and the size and experience to pull something like that off. I'm excited to see what happens

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
mechalynx said:
Rob Kazinsky and Toby Kebbel. I am slightly more interested.

I'm thinking Arthas for Kazinsky. I didn't think much of him until he pimp slapped Sookie in True Blood. But that was hilarious and he pulled off a seemingly decent bloke, who suddenly turned into an asshole nicely. Although Arthas was a dick before he went after Frostmourne.
Arthas wont be in the movie. At least not as anything other than a wink to the fans. The movie is set during the events of the first war, and, while we don't know the exact timing of arthas' birth he would have been a newborn at best at that time. Additionally the horde never made it that far north during the first war. It wasn't until the second war under Doomhammer that the horde pushed far enough north for Lordaeron to be relevant.

god i'm such a nerd....

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Live action, first of all? Welp...

It's going to clash with the hilarious cartoon Orcs, rather severely. I do hope they aren't hoping to turn it into a dark and gritty Games of Thrones-y affair. Sadly, that sounds dreadfully like producer logic.

Dark Knifer said:
Wait, this is live action?

God, they are more crazy then I thought, and I already thought this was crazy and pointless.

Kinda hope for another phantom menace bomb just because I was too young at the time to really live through that and I'd like to see people scream.
It can't really reach the same critical mass, I'm afraid. The Phantom Menace was such a perfect recipe for disaster, the way a WoW movie simply can't be.

There will certainly be moaning, but I don't think we'll be witnessing a terrible inferno if this film turns out to be bad.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I have no idea who anybody on that list is besides Collin Farrel. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing because I'll be able to see the movie as its own world rather than an all-star cast of A-list celebrities or if I should be worried that the talent may not be up to scratch for a movie of WarCraft caliber.

Oh well, only time will tell. I'll be there on opening day either way. I've waited way too long for a Blizzard movie. Hopefully it is a success and actually good so we can hope to see a good StarCraft movie too.