Warcraft Movie "Officially" Finished Filming

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Micalas said:
Well fuck me sideways. I never thought I'd live to see the day. This is the video game movie equivalent of Half-Life 3. I look forward to seeing it. Hopefully it's not absolute shite. I've always loved the lore behind the Warcraft world.
I'm cautiously optimistic because Duncan Jones is really, really good. Ever watch the movie Moon? Utterly brilliant, and written and directed by Jones. Source Code wasn't quite as good, but still creative and well made.

Plus, he's David Bowie's son. That has to count for something, right?

ZodiacBraves

Jun 26, 2008
I remember when this movie was first announced when I went to Blizcon in 2007. In that time I went from a diehard fanboy to having a rather bad taste in my mouth for the company (mostly due to a merger with the devil, Activision, and what seemed to be a complete mishandling of the lore during the last several years of WoW), however, I will keep an eye out for this to see how good it actually is.

ChildofGallifrey said:
This made me a whole lot more interested in the movie than ever before, since David Bowie is my god.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
ZodiacBraves said:
ChildofGallifrey said:
This made me a whole lot more interested in the movie than ever before, since David Bowie is my god.
If you're interested, check out Jones' first film, Moon, starring the eternally underrated Sam Rockwell (and ONLY Rockwell). Fantastic movie, and the quality of it should give you some peace of mind concerning the Warcraft movie.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
008Zulu said:
Nah. They should have just had Blizzard's cinematic department CG the entire movie.
This. I'm waiting with baited breath for the days Blizzard Animation Studios opens doors. I'd sit and watch a full movie by those guys. I mean the stuff they're doing with the ingame models nowadays proves they can do it.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
ChildofGallifrey said:
Micalas said:
Well fuck me sideways. I never thought I'd live to see the day. This is the video game movie equivalent of Half-Life 3. I look forward to seeing it. Hopefully it's not absolute shite. I've always loved the lore behind the Warcraft world.
I'm cautiously optimistic because Duncan Jones is really, really good. Ever watch the movie Moon? Utterly brilliant, and written and directed by Jones. Source Code wasn't quite as good, but still creative and well made.

Wait, what? David Bowie's son is directing it... okay... wonder if any of the mages will be rocking the Jareth look.

Charli said:
008Zulu said:
Nah. They should have just had Blizzard's cinematic department CG the entire movie.
This. I'm waiting with baited breath for the days Blizzard Animation Studios opens doors. I'd sit and watch a full movie by those guys. I mean the stuff they're doing with the ingame models nowadays proves they can do it.
As much as I love me some good animation (the prospect of this makes me all star eyed) I hear it took them a good year to make the intro for Cataclysm, that was about two minutes long, a full movie would take a friggin lifetime... not that they couldn't just invest more... or well, we can dream I suppose.

OT: I really, REALLY hope they respect the source material, if it turns into 'Generic fantasy no648' were the orcs are evil and the hero is some orphaned raggamuffin i'm burning houses.

BoomingEchoes

May 12, 2014
While I enjoy the work of both directors, I find it funny that Jones did in little to no time in the world of movie making what Raimi couldn't manage to find the time for over the course of years (while making some subjectively bad movies *cough* Oz *cough* in the process).

I've got some faith that Jones is going to bring us something that could be crazy brilliant with this property. Excited to see where it goes.

Sep 14, 2009
Whatislove said:
008Zulu said:
Nah. They should have just had Blizzard's cinematic department CG the entire movie. I don't care if the movie itself were utter tripe, the sequences for Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft are the best quality you will ever see in a video game. Imagine a 2 hour movie of nothing but that.
Bioware would like a word with you

But in general, I agree with you. The cinematics and proper cutscenes from Warcraft and WoW are amazing; I do think, however, that movie I linked is the greatest video game cinematic I have ever seen.

No idea why Disney is making new Star Wars movies when they just could have commissioned whoever did the swtor trailers to make full length features from the Old Republic era; I mean look at that 4 way lightsaber duel... it's 20 times better than any duel they had in the movies.
completely agree on this, i remember seeing this one plus the other cinematics and thinking "these absolutely SHIT on what the movies had" *jaws dropped for half the cinematics*

that being said, blizzard does produce top notch stuff, would gladly welcome an all CG movie from them.

Gamergeek25

Mar 29, 2011
hakkarin said:
All I can think is: Wait, there is a Warcraft movie?

10 bucks this won't be any good.
It has hope. It's being done by a director who has made good films, and the CGI crew is Weta.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
PunkRex said:
OT: I really, REALLY hope they respect the source material, if it turns into 'Generic fantasy no648' were the orcs are evil and the hero is some orphaned raggamuffin i'm burning houses.
They said as much at the panel at last year's Blizzcon. They're going to try and cover the story of Durotan and some* prominent orcish characters. (I'm not 100% sure on who exactly, but they weren't 100% clear either. I'm sure they don't want to reveal anything too early)

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Maybe it's just me, but I see Warcraft working more as an episodic affair than a full fledged movie, maybe CG animated show a la Clone Wars or something, I fear to see shitty green screen shots through the entire thing :/

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I'll be honest - As somebody who never really got into Warcraft or WoW (Although I did play a lot of AoE) I'm mainly planning to sit and laugh at this, and then afterwards pretend I was sympathetic all along when the Magic: the Gathering Movie meets the same fate.

It's not that I don't think there can be a good video game movie, it's just that I don't think it's a high probability occurrence.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
While it's difficult to shake the feeling that they will be a decade or so too late, it might very well be better than never.

Although I dread to think what Metzen will be prepared to do to attempt to convince us the Orcs are the good guys, as has been the pattern for a few years now...

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Ferisar said:
Raimi got pushed off production a while ago if I remember correctly. He didn't fit the director role (be it from his own disagreements or Blizzard's, I've no idea).

Unless you mean to say that since he was involved it was a clear sign that something was going to be made, in which case disregard my comment :3
Raimi quit because Blizzard vetoed all the changes he wanted to make to the script.