Warface Producer Defends Female Designs as "Cultural Relativism"

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Warface Producer Defends Female Designs as "Cultural Relativism"

The female character models in Crytek's Warface are different around the world but still unrealistic.

Every region in the world has its own cultural differences, but the male gaze in gaming feels like it's doing its best to stay. Crytek's free-to-play online shooter Warface is a game that differs around the world, keeping in mind that different cultures expect different things in life and in games. For example, weapons have different recoil levels in different regions (high in Russia, low in Asian regions). Furthermore, the design of female character models changes by region. In a set of images, one can see the male character models are completely covered in a more realistic set of military gear while the female models for the same classes draw attention to their cleavage.

"The female skins [are] a good example of how we see how culturally the different regions approach the same game in different ways," Warface executive producer Joshua Howard said. "The skins we're showing right now are the skins that basically came out of our Russian region. They're not what our players at first requested in the Russian region. They tended to be considerably more extreme than what we ended up shipping with."

Howard compares the Russian character models to the Chinese character models. He fails to come up with a good description of the difference, but he insists the Chinese models are "also disproportionate but in a way that's more...Chinese?" The concept of different designs for different regions based on that area's feedback is interesting until it falls to an unnecessary level of pandering to the audience that many game studios still can't leave alone.

Howard mentions that there was tension between making the game cohesive and also making it appropriate for different regions. He compares the decision to change female character models and weapon recoil levels to the recipe for Coca Cola, which changes slightly in every region but is still Coca Cola. However, as Wired puts it, that "highlights the fact that the lady skins are being considered very differently than their male counterparts." While this problem is rampant in media today, it's disheartening to see it defended as "cultural relativism."

Source: Wired UK [http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-10/07/warface-joshua-howard]

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Nothing we can do is wrong! Someone approves somewhere! - people who do ethical relativism wrong

lord canti

May 30, 2009
I don't see the problem with the female rifleman honestly. Though I do see what they mean with the sniper.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
lord canti said:
I don't see the problem with the female rifleman honestly. Though I do see what they mean with the sniper.
Dunno. The boob plate is still annoying. As is the fact that she seems to thrust her ass out in every picture. Flanking: you're doing it wrong.

The Plunk said:
The fuck is this guy babbling about? Will female soldiers in Muslim regions be wearing burkas?
Female soldiers? Nonononono, my friend. If driving causes birth defects, then what must military work do?

...I wish I was making up that claim, but....Yeah....

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Oh please, if they are going to do stuff like this they could at least be honest about it. I don't mind "sexy" female designs when it works within the context of the fiction, but this is the kind of thing I cannot stand, when you get the guys all looking sensible and normal and the girls have the cleavage and the tight clothes. Try a little consistency.

It's even more irritating when they try and pretend there is a reason for it other than the obvious one.

Zachary Amaranth said:
lord canti said:
Dunno. The boob plate is still annoying. As is the fact that she seems to thrust her ass out in every picture. Flanking: you're doing it wrong.
If we are going by the picture with all four designs it isn't a breast plate. She has a strap just under her chest like the female sniper, it is a normal jacket.

Can't disagree with the camera angles and stances though.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Does every damn female model in a game have to be sexy with their tits hanging out? If your going to try and go with a realistic military look then don't have your females tits hanging out and don't put them in skin tight cat suits. Or if you do, at least give the option to put your males in speedos or something just as stupid.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
lord canti said:

The Plunk said:
The fuck is this guy babbling about? Will female soldiers in Muslim regions be wearing burkas?
Female soldiers? Nonononono, my friend. If driving causes birth defects, then what must military work do?

...I wish I was making up that claim, but....Yeah....
Granted this is the only pictures I've seen of the game so for all I know the other ones could be much worse.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I honestly do not understand why it is so difficult for devs to make their female characters non-disproportionate.

Do they die a little inside if they make models that don't show off skin?

Especially when you consider that this is an MMS, so where the hell did they see female soldiers like that?

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
As long as the male counterparts also get their design changed to suit the region the game's being played... Feminism being feminism, the cultural relativism that is being discussed here in undeniable, if it's valid or not as a justification for this game is another matter entirely. I've always defended that women in the middle of a war wearing nothing but a bra is ridiculous (in a "serious" setting, mind you), I understand a different, more sexy armor, but an armor nonetheless, however, I just can't bring myself to point this sort of non-sense when it comes to Japanese games, simply because, it seems to me, that they have a cultural thing going on there, a cultural thing that clearly draws the line between entertainment and "serious business" (such as, you know, real life), which is why reading a Manga isn't a niche/nerdy thing to do there, it's just another entertainment option, and as a work of fiction it can pretty much display anything, including stuff that for us westerners might get the artist in a bad spot with justice (if not downright arrested). Just the same, the women in the game, for them, is the women in the game, as non-real even if it's a realistic game, thus they simply reflect both the artists feelings and the commercial needs.

It seems more of a touchy subject here in the "west", we seem to make the line between entertainment and real-life ever so tenuous, getting highly offended by jokes in shows, actions in games, characters from movies etc. Not that we are wrong, this is just one of our cultural characteristics, I believe.

If this feller knows how to handle this "relativism" deal with some decency, he's got some potential in his hands, if not, it'll be called sexism. Particularly, not too fond of him only changing the girl's looks, though many countries/regions don't care what the guys look like (or even the girls, while others overlap certain characteristics), many others places will be touchy as to "why only the women"... And I'm not sure I can keep myself from asking that very question...

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Worgen said:
Does every damn female model in a game have to be sexy with their tits hanging out? If your going to try and go with a realistic military look then don't have your females tits hanging out and don't put them in skin tight cat suits. Or if you do, at least give the option to put your males in speedos or something just as stupid.
Looking at the pictures my main complaint is that the female soldiers have dumped a lot of the gear in order to show off their impressive... tracts of land.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
*snrk*

"Cultural relativism" eh? So that's what they're calling it these days.

He didn't specify what region gets what. Was it the Russians or Asians getting the extra boobage? Or does everyone get it?

I'm also actually kind of curious as to why the Russian version would have more weapon recoil. Seems kind of arbitrary.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
lord canti said:
I think it's relative to the Male counterpart. Male Rifleman get's full armour set (tactical Vest, pads, Helmet etc.) while the female counterpart only has shoulder and knee pads over fatigues, no helmet or vest.

Same for the sniper, but the boob window makes for an obvious disparity.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
If they wanted to do it right, they should have mostly listened to opinions from females along with a few sensible opinions from males. When being asked to make one sex into what is essentially sex objects to the utmost, it should be obvious that the people doing this is opposite sex, and for the most part be ignored as they do not represent that sex.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Zhukov said:
I'm also actually kind of curious as to why the Russian version would have more weapon recoil. Seems kind of arbitrary.
The answer is actually the two words that are screwing... well pretty much the entirety of our culture at this point. Focus. Groups. The devs or their corporate masters bring in a bunch of late-teen male gamers (the gaming industry hasn't figured out that you get better results casting a wider net, as something that narrow just confirms what you're already thinking) "Should the guns have high, low or medium recoil?" "Should female characters be showing cleavage?"

Ace O'Hagen

May 28, 2013
all I see when I read this is: "Hey, everyone! Look at the brand new defense we've created for when we're accused of being sexist!! Isn't it grand?"

in all seriousness, in a combat zone, you'd want them flapping around as little as possible

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
lord canti said:
Granted this is the only pictures I've seen of the game so for all I know the other ones could be much worse.
I think that's why he's calling it "moral relativism."

Akichi Daikashima said:
No, but their tween fanbase does.

MCerberus said:
Worgen said:
Looking at the pictures my main complaint is that the female soldiers have dumped a lot of the gear in order to show off their impressive... tracts of land.
Maybe it's a new form of concealed weaponry.

Ragsnstitches said:
Same for the sniper, but the boob window makes for an obvious disparity.
In fairness, what Russian woman wouldn't show off her cleavage?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
lord canti said:
I think that's why he's calling it "moral relativism."

Akichi Daikashima said:
No, but their tween fanbase does.
I'm still pretty sure that they die a little inside when they have to pander to tweens.

I'm sure that anyone would.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
This is 20 fucking 13, we're at the end of a generation and still developers and publishers are doing this stupid shit. Just fucking stop. Focus groups will be the death of this industry.