Warhammer 40,000 Conquest Core Set Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Warhammer 40,000 Conquest Core Set Review

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only card-based war.

Read Full Article

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I have never knew this was a thing but I want it and I want it now!

Also I want an Imperial Fists subset because reasons

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
It's amusing that Fantasy Flight Games respects the lore of 40k more than Games Workshop itself nowadays. They make infinitely more balanced games in the universe as well, it seems.

Aug 31, 2012
I know you guys have limited time so you've probably got to concentrate on the most popular RPGs for review (i.e. DnD, Pathfinder etc), but do you think you might start doing any 2nd ed Dark Heresy reviews seeing as that's come out very recently? It's FFG, you know you love them...

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
could someone fill in the pricing structure (eluded to, but not really talked about), and release timeline (core releases, and expansions)

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
gardian06 said:
could someone fill in the pricing structure (eluded to, but not really talked about), and release timeline (core releases, and expansions)
Knowing GW, the pricing structure will be something like this; MORTGAGE YOUR HOUSE, TAKE OUT A LOAN, GIVE US ALL YOUR MONEY AND THEN WE'LL GIVE YOU 10 CARDS

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Li Mu said:
gardian06 said:
Knowing GW, the pricing structure will be something like this; MORTGAGE YOUR HOUSE, TAKE OUT A LOAN, GIVE US ALL YOUR MONEY AND THEN WE'LL GIVE YOU 10 CARDS
Fortunately you won't have to buy this one from GW. Typically Fantasy Flight's LCG core sets are $40 at full price.

I just checked amazon and they're even listing Conquest as several dollars cheaper than that.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
bdcjacko said:
When is it availabe for sale? I keep looking for it
I believe it's Oct 3rd.

gardian06 said:
Varies a little depending on when you order it but core set is ~$40 and expansion packs are ~$15 - but I've seen that as cheap as $27 and $10. Core set should be available early October with a new expansion pack coming out every other month or so.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Slycne said:
bdcjacko said:
When is it availabe for sale? I keep looking for it
I believe it's Oct 3rd.

gardian06 said:
Varies a little depending on when you order it but core set is ~$40 and expansion packs are ~$15 - but I've seen that as cheap as $27 and $10. Core set should be available early October with a new expansion pack coming out every other month or so.
Thanks Justin, your the best.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I know that some people got a hold of copies at Gen Con, Comic Con, etc. Does anybody know how many core sets you need to buy to have a play set of every card in the set? My only complaint about Netrunner is that you needed to buy 3 core sets because of a few one-ofs, leaving you with a bunch of extraneous copies of the cards that had 2+ copies per set. I really needed that 3rd Data Dealer...

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
ccggenius12 said:
I know that some people got a hold of copies at Gen Con, Comic Con, etc. Does anybody know how many core sets you need to buy to have a play set of every card in the set? My only complaint about Netrunner is that you needed to buy 3 core sets because of a few one-ofs, leaving you with a bunch of extraneous copies of the cards that had 2+ copies per set. I really needed that 3rd Data Dealer...
It's basically the same as Netrunner. 2 core sets gets you like 80-90% there, but you need 3 to get playsets of the one-ofs. However, due to how the squad cards and deckbuilding work, each faction is only rocking like 1-2 actual one-ofs out of the box.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Corey Schaff said:
Ooh, I might actually be able to afford to play this :O

Tried getting into the Wargame with Imperial Guard (not calling it that other stupid name), but ran out of money real quick and can't support such a pricey habit on my income, especially with my level of skill when it comes to assembly and painting.
Hmmm, probably would have helped to do some research first. I've never been much into the war games (tried fantasy before, still have some High Elves around I believe), but the best way to get involved seems to be to start with the default "iconic" guys the Marines or Chaos. The reason being that they have higher point costs meaning you can field less figures, and thus need less figures. While still pricy it's possible to inflate or reduce the point cost of a couple of terminators, or a really big demons to fit in with different mission objectives.

It seems to me that the other armies are largely for dedicated "I have tons of money and want this bad" players. Orks (in both games), Imperial Guard, and others tend to be cool concepts and have neat rules, but their approach means fielding lots of figures and that means spending a lot of money and time prepping them. Those kinds of armies rapidly become a massive time and money sink, at least more than a lot of them.

I figured if I ever had the time or money to try Warhammer 40k (and knew some local players) I'd probably start out trying to field a force of White Consuls. I like the concept, and they are an Ultramarines successor chapter very little has been done with (meaning little lore to worry about for the picky). This means they are both on the high point value end of the spectrum meaning I'd need less of them, and given that their colors are like reverse Ultramarines (white with blue trim, as opposed to blue with white trim) they would be relatively easy to paint. Not the coolest faction and a lot of people hate them, but it seems to be an easy one to start with, and it's one that can actually win battles as well. Space Wolves, Dark Angels, Eldar (both kinds), rapidly become more expensive and also require more attention and detail in painting. As a result that's the best starting point advice I could give someone just wanting to get into it.

That said I have been hoping to see more GOOD computer games done with the property. I also like the PnP RPG setting (been working on a "Black Crusade" based campaign that I might get a chance to GM sometime, maybe by E-mail once I move if I can ever find the time, assuming all else fails) but I think when it comes to the RPG books FFG is just too greedy, the prices are crazy and they are already falling into the "new editions rather than errata" mould to get people to buy new versions of the same books for top dollar.

VileTerror

Dec 22, 2010
Therumancer, Fantasy Flight Games has been in the "new editions rather than errata" mindset with their 40K line since Inquisitor's Handbook (the first major supplement to Dark Heresy 1.0). There are errors ranging from simple typos to gross confusion of the rules in every core book and supplement (and even the erratas themselves, some times). I mean, sure, all the companies I've seen publish tabletop roleplaying rules books have had errors, but I just felt it needed to be stressed that the active pursuit of new content rather than patching holes in old content has been a long-held tradition by this point.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Therumancer said:
This means they are both on the high point value end of the spectrum meaning I'd need less of them, and given that their colors are like reverse Ultramarines (white with blue trim, as opposed to blue with white trim) they would be relatively easy to paint.
White is actually one of the hardest color to get right, especially if you're painting huge patch of it (Along with Red and Yellow). A mostly white army is a pretty daunting choice for a new painter... You could just prime them white and leave that as the outer coat, but that looks fairly bad.