Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade: Plenty of WAAAGH For Every One

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade: Plenty of WAAAGH For Every One

"It's Space Marine meets PlanetSide 2 meets Gears of War, in a sandbox setting."

Read Full Article

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I think I'll pass, never been bit on deathmatch shooters. I was really hoping to see a good computer RPG (single player or MMO) developed off of 40k but it seems like nobody wants to take the time or effort. Given all the development in the novels, and multiple RPG lines set in the universe, I find it kind of distressing that it seems like all people can think to do is make twitch games, boardgame conversions, and RTS games... of which the RTS games are the only ones I really liked.

That said, I wish them luck with it, if it succeeds maybe we'll see more done with it. That said if this is due for late 2015, chances are we won't see a serious 40k RPG at least until 2017 which is sad, assuming someone sees success and starts developing one.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
It seems like a cool idea, but I have to question how good it will be considering it's troubled production.

Though I did get a chuckle at how F2P players were put in the ork faction.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I just scanned this, but I came across a rather silly statement. Namely:
As Caron joked, "no one wants to be an elite merchant in the 41st millennium."
Someone hasn't heard of Rogue Trader it seems.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
The way they're implementing ranged combat worries me. The idea of "stun then finish in close combat" is cool... but What if I want to play a devastator who wields an anti tank gun, if you get hit by a lascannon your particles should be floating in the breeze, you shouldn't just be "stunned"

It's the Level 100 Gyarados vs. level 1 Pidgey hyper beam all over again!

romanator0

Jun 3, 2011
erttheking said:
It seems like a cool idea, but I have to question how good it will be considering it's troubled production.

Though I did get a chuckle at how F2P players were put in the ork faction.
I haven't heard of any troubled production for this game. Perhaps you're thinking of Dark Millenium Online which was being developed by Vigil under THQ. This game is being made by a completely different company and has nothing to do with Dark Millenium.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Yeah, im keeping my distance from this.

There arent many good things to be learned from Planetside 2 at the moment.

However ill give them credit for the realatively high level of community interaction theyre commiting thsmelves to.

rosac said:
The way they're implementing ranged combat worries me. The idea of "stun then finish in close combat" is cool... but What if I want to play a devastator who wields an anti tank gun, if you get hit by a lascannon your particles should be floating in the breeze, you shouldn't just be "stunned"
I imagine thats just how they want most infantry weapons to play out. I also wouldnt be surprised to see that if you kept shooting they would die anyway.

Either way, with just under a year and a half between now and launch, i expect many things will change over time. Just like how things changed with Planetside 2 in its first year. And if anyones wondering, theyre finally launching Hossin this week.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Behaviour Interactive I wonder what games they've done?

'checks wikipedia' oh, okay pass on this.

Naughty Bear: Panic in Paradise (PlayStation Network, Xbox Live Arcade)
Ice Age : Continental Drift ? Arctic Games (Wii, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo DS, Xbox 360)
Brave: The Video Game (Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360, Wii, PlayStation 3, Nintendo DS)
Voltron: Defender of the Universe (PlayStation Network, Xbox Live Arcade)
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (Wii, Nintendo 3DS Nintendo DS)
Rango: The Video Game (Multiplatform) (Xbox 360, Wii, PlayStation 3, Nintendo DS)
Doritos Crash Course (Xbox Live Arcade)
MySims SkyHeroes (Multiplatform)
Naughty Bear (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)
Dante's Inferno (PSP version)
WET (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)
Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings (Wii and PlayStation 2 versions)
MySims Racing (Nintendo DS and Wii)
Kung Fu Panda: Legendary Warriors (Nintendo DS and Wii versions)
Iron Man (Wii, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, PC and Nintendo DS versions)
High School Musical: Makin' the Cut! (Wii, PlayStation 2, Nintendo DS versions)
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames (PlayStation 2 version)
Lord of the Rings: Conquest (Nintendo DS version)
High School Musical 2: Work This Out! (Nintendo DS version)
Transformers: Animated (Nintendo DS version)
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (Nintendo DS version)
Power Rangers: Super Legends (PlayStation 2, PC and Nintendo DS versions)
Spider-Man: Friend or Foe (Nintendo DS & PlayStation Portable versions)
WET 2 (Multiplatform)
Happy Feet
The Ant Bully
Disney's Kim Possible: Global Gemini
Disney's Kim Possible: What's the Switch?
Teen Titans
Monster House
Disney's Kim Possible: Kimmunicator
Evergirl
Ed, Edd n Eddy: The Mis-Edventures
Flow: Urban Dance Uprising
Chicken Little
Lizzie McGuire 2
Get On Da Mic
Scooby-Doo! Unmasked
Scaler
Carmen Sandiego: The Secret of the Stolen Drums
Kim Possible 2: Drakken's Demise
Home on the Range
Scooby Doo: Mystery Mayhem
Ice Age
Monsters, Inc. Scream Team
Bugs Bunny & Taz: Time Busters
Smurf Racer
The Grinch
Bugs Bunny: Lost in Time
Jersey Devil
Drake & Josh
Doritos Crash Course 2
Phineas and Ferb: Quest for Cool Stuff
SpongeBob SquarePants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Oh dear oh dear, this sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen. Ranged attacks only down players? F2P players only accessing the Ork faction? The dev team visiting 4chan?

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
A planetside 2 styled 40K game? Now this I can get behind.

I wonder what factions they'll bring in. Space marines are an obvious choice... but how will they then handle classes? Tactrical, fast attack, heavy? Should be fun

LordDPS

Jun 4, 2010
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Oh dear oh dear, this sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen. Ranged attacks only down players? F2P players only accessing the Ork faction? The dev team visiting 4chan?
Actually, 4Chan isn't a bad place to get 40k advice and feedback from. The TG community on 4chan isn't that bad. They've actually got an impressive number of homebrew rules and fan created content for 40k and are responsible for the creation of the Angry, Reasonable, and Pretty Marines. With full fledged Codecies and fan fiction coming out of it. All available here http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_40,000

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Besides for the ranged attack thing, these things sound great.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Although the dev hasn't really done anything worth note, they seem to be approaching this with an elegance to their design that I really enjoy. For example, some people are harping that orks are the only faction that's free-to-play, but the purpose behind this a brilliant example of the pay model supporting game immersion, universe development, and balancing. Orks ARE numerous and unruly. They're not called the Green Tide because they have a few elite units that head into battle. Also, I saw in another interview that they are also giving Orks a buff that make them more powerful the more Orks are around them and are allowing Orks more freedom in team-killing. These types of in-game rules reinforce the established fluff of the 40K universe.

We'll have to wait and see if it's any good, but as a fan of 40K, my impression of the dev team is that they "get it". Which, considering some of the best 40K games have had weird fluff breaks (ie - a Chaos sorcerer who praises Khorne...who hates psykers...derp), makes me cautiously excited about this game. Probably will pick up a founder's pack because, let's face it, as a 40K player, I've spent more money on less product.

TheMadTypist

Sep 8, 2009
Hmm. A planetside-2-esque experience for fourty bucks, where every class is also (for the sake of revivals, anyway) a medic but you can stop people from reviving by charging up and putting the boot in? Actual big battles that might not make the server have the most violent of convulsions? Color me intrigued.

If they can figure out a way to do the melee combat without the end result looking like everyone is shadow-boxing with the lag-ghosts, it would be pretty cool. From the article I'd guess there will be Orks and Space Marines, and judging by the art I would assume the other two sides will be Chaos and Eldar. Not a bad lineup. Still wish that a Techpriest of some description was playable, because those guys are damn cool (although you could practically build a whole faction out of just the Mechanicus, I do recognize that introducing allied sides in a four-way battle royale might skew populations or confuse battle lines).

Also, I applaud the free Orks, because every man, woman, and child has the innate right to WAAAUGHH!

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
It most likely won't happen, but having the Tau as a playable faction would be amazing in this.

Be interested to see what kind of budget they have behind them, because SoE put a sizable amount of capital into Planetside 2, and even then the game ran like ass and got boring pretty quickly on release. Can't imagine they'd have the same amount of money to work with so will probably end up an unfinished mess.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
zombiejoe said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Besides for the ranged attack thing, these things sound great.
It will probably round out like Guild Wars 2 "Downed" System, where you can still kill a player by putting consistent/burst damage on them while they are down, but it takes far longer then actually walking up and doing an execution. For GW2, its unfeasible during combat to waste all of your DPS trying to finish someone off, which is probably what they're aiming for.

Its a bit early to tell though, but i trust them to put together a great game. The gameplay i saw reminded me a lot of Space Marine, and its combat was very solid. Shame it never got off its feet.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
I just scanned this, but I came across a rather silly statement. Namely:
As Caron joked, "no one wants to be an elite merchant in the 41st millennium."
Someone hasn't heard of Rogue Trader it seems.
I think it was a joke. You even (apparently) buy your weapon unlocks from a rogue trader in the game :p

OT: I really like Steve Lumpkin, but I'm going to hold off on this. I just don't have the money for a founder pack, but I'll be there day 1 orking it up with other putzes.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
I almost put down money on this. Then I reminded myself that the game's not coming out until the end of 2015. I've bought into enough MMOs to know that the pre-order banner won't be all that impressive.