Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach is a New Turn-Based Strategy Game Starring the Space Wolves

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Gotta agree, this footage seems to be from so early in development, I'd have been better not to release the trailer, and just post some concept art instead.

Wings012 said:
erttheking said:
I'd even be up for another Fire Warrior game.
I always thought Fire Warrior was a missed opportunity to do a badass Battlesuit game.

Also being against the Imperium kinda opens up a lot of potential badass boss fights. I hope one day they make a XV22 game and there's boss fights like SM Chaplains or taking down a Baneblade as it pushes through Tau ranks.
That would have been awesome! I'm sitting here imagining the final boss fight against an Emperor Class Imperial Titan.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
LetalisK said:
So question. Is the Warhammer 40k conflict a galaxy wide or universe wide conflict? Because it says the Orks have taken over the galaxy except for this one planet.
The description is worded badly. The Imperium of Man controls a wide swathe of the Milky Way galaxy, and that's probably not going to change any time soon due to brisk sales of Space Marine figures the setting's premise of eternal war. I'm sure they meant the last planet of a star system or something like that.

WH40k takes place almost entirely within the Milky Way, though invasions from extra-galactic threats like the Tyranids make it very likely that the universe at large is in a similar state (that, or the 'Nids ate everything else already).
Er, it makes it likely that at least one other galaxy has or had nids, who are the only extra-galactic threat/race of note (unless you count the necrons that left the galaxy but originated here). The entire rest of the universe might be uninhabited and always has been, for all we know.

But yeah, the orks are not taking over the galaxy, and there's a zillion planets left standing.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
You know, I read a Space Marine Battles novel recently which was also titled "Sanctus Reach", dealing with Facerippa's exploits. The Space Wolves were barely a relevant part of it, and overall the whole story was bleeeehhhh... so I'm not feeling much excitement at the prospect of this game.
(Unless we get a story focus on orks. The best part of the book was an entire novella from the perspective of a mekboy nob. Oh the hilarity.)

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Mangod said:
That would have been awesome! I'm sitting here imagining the final boss fight against an Emperor Class Imperial Titan.
Infiltrate the Titan in Stealth Battlesuits, disabling its Void Shield generators while fighting off a Deathwatch kill team. The shields are down just in time for a KX139 to light it up and you jump off in a FUCK YEAH moment. No idea how in line with Tau battle doctrine this would be though.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Thaluikhain said:
Neverhoodian said:
LetalisK said:
So question. Is the Warhammer 40k conflict a galaxy wide or universe wide conflict? Because it says the Orks have taken over the galaxy except for this one planet.
The description is worded badly. The Imperium of Man controls a wide swathe of the Milky Way galaxy, and that's probably not going to change any time soon due to brisk sales of Space Marine figures the setting's premise of eternal war. I'm sure they meant the last planet of a star system or something like that.

WH40k takes place almost entirely within the Milky Way, though invasions from extra-galactic threats like the Tyranids make it very likely that the universe at large is in a similar state (that, or the 'Nids ate everything else already).
Er, it makes it likely that at least one other galaxy has or had nids, who are the only extra-galactic threat/race of note (unless you count the necrons that left the galaxy but originated here). The entire rest of the universe might be uninhabited and always has been, for all we know.
Except for the fact that all 3 major Hive Fleets, especially Leviathan, which is bigger than the other 2 combined, have all approached the galaxy from different directions. The current leading theory is that this means either, a) the nids have consumed more than 1 galaxy and are now bee lining for us (which considering all 3 arriving within a few centuries of each other, combined with the distance traveled and the inexact time frame on galaxy consumption rates makes this highly coincidental in the extreme) or b)the nids have been through this galaxy before, may in fact be migratory and regularly jump between a few different galaxies consuming biomass, or c) they're all created on the galaxies fringe by The Outsider, who is directing their advance and attacking from different directions each time to probe galaxy wide defences.

Either way, we're all fucking screwed.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
It's always Space marines vs. Orks. Maaaaybe, with a little luck, Space Marines vs. Chaos.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Zykon TheLich said:
Chaos Marine said:
I'd quite like an 40K Epic game.
Armageddon was basically Epic in the Panzer General engine
I should have elaborated, I mean Epic scale in a real time strategy. So far as I'm concerned, the best Epic game was Final Liberation.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
A Warhammer 40k turn based game, say this could be....

*turns out to be more Spehs Mahrines*

*SIGH* So much for a good Imperial Guard game...

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Catnip1024 said:
Oh, look, more Space Marines. Another Space Marine campaign is exactly what the 40k franchise was missing. Why not go back to DoW, and do proper campaigns, preferably DoW1 style gameplay, for all of the other factions?
Hell, I want them to do Final Liberation again. But the Space Marines will have to share the spotlight with those regular old IG soldiers and gear, and we can't have that, can we?

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
chozo_hybrid said:
When are we going to get a non-imperium focused story? As a 40k fan who didn't play any of the Imperium factions, it annoys me to no end. We haven't had one since Fire Warrior... And that was not a great game.
There was Gorkamorka, but the less said about that, the better.

Know what I want? Something more smaller scale, localized.

Necromunda would be grand. (40k street gang warfare)

Freeboota pirates. Why not?

Maybe a horror themed, x-com style campaign with a PDF desperately trying to suppress a Chaos rebellion or Genestealer Cult?

Buuuut no, we gotta have Spehs Mahrines.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Catnip1024 said:
Oh, look, more Space Marines. Another Space Marine campaign is exactly what the 40k franchise was missing. Why not go back to DoW, and do proper campaigns, preferably DoW1 style gameplay, for all of the other factions?
At least it's the Space Wolves this time. ENTIRELY different playbook than the Smurfs or Bloody Magpies.

At least that's how it SHOULD be, dunno if they'll actually make it work though.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Czann said:
It's always Space marines vs. Orks. Maaaaybe, with a little luck, Space Marines vs. Chaos.
What are you talking about? Orks are ALWAYS being used as a distraction by bigger and eviler threats. Heck, Chaos did EXACTLY that in DoW1 and Space Marine. If it stuck with just Orks that would actually be a change of pace!

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Smithnikov said:
Hell, I want them to do Final Liberation again. But the Space Marines will have to share the spotlight with those regular old IG soldiers and gear, and we can't have that, can we?
No, playing as the Imperial Guard let's you feel like an underdog, and everyone knows that that is no fun. Right? It's not like Winter Assault was my favourite DoW campaign or anything.

Let's create an entire universe, rich in lore and varied factions, and then force people to stick with playing as the blandest, most stormtrooperish one.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Mikeybb said:
Chaos Marine said:
I'd quite like an 40K Epic game.
Seconded.

I'm happy to see another strategy game though, especially a turn based one.
Agreed on that! Old fogeys like me can't be doing with this realtime nonsense...i like time to plan my moves!

Cap'nPipsqueak

Jul 2, 2016
ccggenius12 said:
LetalisK said:
It's a universe thing. Xenos are trying to fuck up humans and/or each other at pretty much all times. This is just a subsection of that, focused on a flare-up of Ork activity led by one Gruk Facerippa.

OT: Still waiting for a non-Imperium game, or at least one where you aren't a Spess Marine. A game where you command a Catachan platoon on a death world vs 'nids would be boss.
The entire 40K universe is pretty fucked up: you've got the Imperium, which is basically the worst part of the Spanish Inquisition with giant guns and hatred of anything that isn't human, you've got the Orks, who are literally born to fight. Anything. At all. For any reason, you've got the creatures of Chaos, who would make your worst nightmare look like a wet dream, the necron, an empire of zombie cyborgs who want you dead simply because you aren't, and the Tyranid, a race of monsters that makes Alien's xenomorph look like an embryo.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Catnip1024 said:
There is a Dawn of War 3 in the works, and thankfully its Relic that is developing it.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Cap said:
ccggenius12 said:
LetalisK said:
It's a universe thing. Xenos are trying to fuck up humans and/or each other at pretty much all times. This is just a subsection of that, focused on a flare-up of Ork activity led by one Gruk Facerippa.

OT: Still waiting for a non-Imperium game, or at least one where you aren't a Spess Marine. A game where you command a Catachan platoon on a death world vs 'nids would be boss.
The entire 40K universe is pretty fucked up: you've got the Imperium, which is basically the worst part of the Spanish Inquisition with giant guns and hatred of anything that isn't human, you've got the Orks, who are literally born to fight. Anything. At all. For any reason, you've got the creatures of Chaos, who would make your worst nightmare look like a wet dream, the necron, an empire of zombie cyborgs who want you dead simply because you aren't, and the Tyranid, a race of monsters that makes Alien's xenomorph look like an embryo.
Don't forget the Tau who are basically space Nazis who use "the greater good" to justify pretty much anything they want.

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
Oh fer cryin out loud. The Tau are neither space commies or nazis, granted they have a few traits from both but the Empire of Man is ahead by leaps and bounds in that regard.

All that said ... Where are my god damned Necrons.