Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Review

Space Marine combines gameplay elements to nail the feel of being a 7 foot armored tool of destruction.

Read Full Article

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Space Marine is a good game

I like how this review didnt complain about "to use cover stand behind the wall."
Instead of click a button and FLY into cover.

cant wait for Yahtzee's review though

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I didn't like it much. Played with a friend on his console. Glad I didn't buy my own copy.

However, most of the things I didn't like seemed to be there intentionally, mostly for the sake of WH40K fans. But hey, I suppose if they want to make a game for existing fans, that's cool. They shouldn't have to compromise for the sake of nigh-unpleasable grumps like me.

Although at the end of the day, the story and dialogue were still absolutely mind-numbing. But maybe that's an intrinsic part of the franchise as well. I wouldn't know.

Lastly, it's a shame that all those "epic moments" take place purely in cutscenes. Jumping onto the orc ship? Cutscene. Riding it down to the ground? Cutscene. FInal bloody boss? Cutsce... nope, even better, 100% quicktime event! A-A-A-Y... A-A-A-Y... B-B-B-B-B... victory!

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Zhukov said:
Although at the end of the day, the story and dialogue were still absolutely mind-numbing. But maybe that's an intrinsic part of the franchise as well. I wouldn't know.
I was surprised at this myself. The Dawn of War games have always had decent to well-written storylines and dialogue. Most of the 40k books are pretty decent as well. No idea why they decided to go with something as simplistic as this... oh well. Game was fun enough for me, but I'm a huge fan to begin with.

Notere

Sep 11, 2008
Best part of this review? "Based on the PC version." Somehow, I get the feeling I'd hate it on a console. Because shooting on a console. And rapid turning.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Zhukov said:
I didn't like it much. Played with a friend on his console. Glad I didn't buy my own copy.

However, most of the things I didn't like seemed to be there intentionally, mostly for the sake of WH40K fans. But hey, I suppose if they want to make a game for existing fans, that's cool. They shouldn't have to compromise for the sake of nigh-unpleasable grumps like me.

Lastly, it's a shame that all those "epic moments" take place purely in cutscenes. Jumping onto the orc ship? Cutscene. Riding it down to the ground? Cutscene. FInal bloody boss? Cutsce... nope, even better, 100% quicktime event! A-A-A-Y... A-A-A-Y... B-B-B-B-B... victory!
What sort of things? The somewhat obscure references to other games or background pieces? I can understand that. It was nice seeing a cameo from the Dawn of War games, but only people familiar with them will actually get what just happened. Despite being so simplistic in its storytelling, Space Marines seems to do a good job of shutting people out if they aren't on the know how.

May 28, 2009
Notere said:
Best part of this review? "Based on the PC version." Somehow, I get the feeling I'd hate it on a console. Because shooting on a console. And rapid turning.
I have it on the 360 and it's still quite good

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
See this game is kinda hit and miss. If you like 40k youl be just fine. Gameplay wise outside the health regen system the game works fine and is plenty fun. But i have one major complaint. That is now how you pronounce lieutenant.

Edit: yes i am aware that some European countries pronounce it that way but i dont care it sounds dumb and the Etymology disagrees with that pronunciation.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
I'm honestly surprised it didn't talk about the camera more. I had all kinds of issues with it. It acted a lot like the Ninja Gaiden camera in that it always wanted to look behind me. Too much micromanagement.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Zhukov said:
What sort of things? The somewhat obscure references to other games or background pieces? I can understand that. It was nice seeing a cameo from the Dawn of War games, but only people familiar with them will actually get what just happened. Despite being so simplistic in its storytelling, Space Marines seems to do a good job of shutting people out if they aren't on the know how.
Nah, I didn't have a problem with any of that. Most of the references can be sussed out by context anyway. The Codex-Whatchamacallit that the young guy keeps blabbing about is clearly some sort of bible/handbook. I'm guessing that the battle Titus refers to when the "Blood Ravens" show up is probably from one of the Dawn of War games. Nothing too obscure there.

What bothered me was the absolute shallowness of it all. And I'm not talking "shallow" in the sense of "doesn't address philosophical questions about the human condition", I mean shallow as in, "not deep enough to get my ankles wet". In spite of all the blood and gore, it feels like it was made for five-year-olds. Stoic (ie. emotionless and/or incapable of expression) protagonist? Check. Scarred veteran? Check. Raw recruit? Check. Dumb-evil enemy? Check. Evil-evil enemy? Check. One token female who is totally in awe of the uber-manly protagonist? Check. All that's missing is a sassy black sidekick.

My favourite thing in the whole game turned out to be the orc Warboss. Sure, he's a stupid sadistic brute who's causing the deaths of millions (billions?) of people, but at least he was vaguely memorable. I wish I could have played as him.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Zhukov said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Zhukov said:
Nah, I didn't have a problem with any of that. Most of the references can be sussed out by context anyway. The Codex-Whatchamacallit that the young guy keeps blabbing about is clearly some sort of bible/handbook. I'm guessing that the battle Titus refers to when the "Blood Ravens" show up is probably from one of the Dawn of War games. Nothing too obscure there.

What bothered me was the absolute shallowness of it all. And I'm not talking "shallow" in the sense of "doesn't address philosophical questions about the human condition", I mean shallow as in, "not deep enough to get my ankles wet". In spite of all the blood and gore, it feels like it was made for five-year-olds. Stoic (ie. emotionless and/or incapable of expression) protagonist? Check. Scarred veteran? Check. Raw recruit? Check. Dumb-evil enemy? Check. Evil-evil enemy? Check. One token female who is totally in awe of the uber-manly protagonist? Check. All that's missing is a sassy black sidekick.

My favourite thing in the whole game turned out to be the orc Warboss. Sure, he's a stupid sadistic brute who's causing the deaths of millions (billions?) of people, but at least he was vaguely memorable. I wish I could have played as him.
You would love Kaptin Bludflagg then. Or Gorgutz even. Orks on the whole are hilarious.

Venats

Aug 22, 2011
Zhukov said:
Stoic (ie. emotionless and/or incapable of expression) protagonist? Check. Scarred veteran? Check. Raw recruit? Check. Dumb-evil enemy? Check. Evil-evil enemy? Check. One token female who is totally in awe of the uber-manly protagonist? Check. All that's missing is a sassy black sidekick.
If that bothered you, you'd never be able to read any of the books aside from Ciaphas Cain series. Titus is one of the more down to earth, humane marine's I've found/ever seen in the fluff. The rest are either idiots/fanatics/smurfs like Leandros, or scarred-angry war veterans like Sidonus.

That said, every single Imperial Guard was in awe of the Marines but that's how they are always portrayed in the lore/fluff. The lieutenant being in awe of Titus and his crew is nothing more than being true to the source. After all, the Imperial Guard are just meat, they get killed by everything... heck, having Titus compliment them was fairly unique for a Space Marine.

But yes, the plot is pretty simplistic though I don't know if I'd call it shallow.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Zhukov said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Zhukov said:

You would love Kaptin Bludflagg then. Or Gorgutz even. Orks on the whole are hilarious.
*Sigh* Gorgutz...how i love that huge metal-plated Ork :')

OT: Currently in love with the game at the moment, stuck near the end though, won't reveal where or why due to spoilers but lets just say a "Spikey boy" is summoning wave after wave of other "Spikey Boys" and Humies -.-

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
"Gears of "God of War""

I want an Inquisitor game. Fly around the 40k universe KOTOR style with a Navy psychic Navigator, My collection of Ordos Assassins (Careful with the Eversor, he's Cr-azy.), Some Deathwatch, A Grey Knight, An imprisoned chaos daemon and maybe a space elf or two.

It'd be Rad. Come-on Bioware. You could make stories in a universe where a giant space robot would actually make sense.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
I like the 40k games and all, but I wish they would do something other than Space Marines as the main characters, I mean, who wouldn't want to play a campaign as an Aspect Warrior or Ork Boyz or (Emperor and Harlequin strike me down for admitting this) a Tyranid? Personally I think that they need to make a 40k game that includes like a six hour campaign for each of the Officio Assassinorium branches, they could really go for different gameplay mechanics for each since each has their own way of doing things and would make around a 30 hour game in campaigns alone, and then release different DLC for each branch that adds like another couple hours to each, or just make each branch a ten or twenty hour game in itself

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Best part of multiplayer has to be wearing this
I like this game but that might be because I have all the Dawn of War games and my own squad of tactical marine minitures who specialize in plasma weapons.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
Notere said:
Actually I found the shooting to be perfectly fine on PS3, once I turned off aim assist. With aim assist it felt really unnatural, like trying to aim with someone swinging on the end of your gun.

Venats

Aug 22, 2011
Redryhno said:
I like the 40k games and all, but I wish they would do something other than Space Marines as the main characters, I mean, who wouldn't want to play a campaign as an Aspect Warrior or Ork Boyz or (Emperor and Harlequin strike me down for admitting this) a Tyranid? Personally I think that they need to make a 40k game that includes like a six hour campaign for each of the Officio Assassinorium branches, they could really go for different gameplay mechanics for each since each has their own way of doing things and would make around a 30 hour game in campaigns alone, and then release different DLC for each branch that adds like another couple hours to each, or just make each branch a ten or twenty hour game in itself
Dawn of War II: Retribution; already happened.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
If I can't make my character an Angry Marine in multiplayer, I won't buy this.

ALWAYS ANGRY!

ALL THE TIME!

And at the end when he says "We are...space marines.", it's probably not good that I was just hoping that it would suddenly cut into Boreale's voice and go SPESS MEHRENS.