Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Review

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
I want this fucking game! but my computer cant take and well the ultramarines eh...

Nov 12, 2010
It's neat to see such a great actor as Mark Strong portray the protagonist in a video game. The only problem is that mostly the good movie actors tend to voice-act very poorly. We shall see about that, I'll probably lend it from an acquaintance: 8 hours is too short for me to invest any money on and I couldn't care less about multiplayer.

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
Zhukov said:
Although at the end of the day, the story and dialogue were still absolutely mind-numbing. But maybe that's an intrinsic part of the franchise as well. I wouldn't know.
Being a 40K FLUFF-enthusiast (yeah, that's right it's been a long time since I actually played the table-top strategy game Warhammer 40.000, but I've spent years being heavily involved with the novels from The Black library, as well as playing the Dark heresy, Rogue Trader and Deathwatch RPG's respectively), I can with all honesty assure you that it really isn' the case.

Of course I had to buy Space Marine, and have been drooling over teaser videos for months before it's releas (despite the fact that I don't really like the Ultrasmurfs at all), but even with a hefty chunk of fanboyism in my holster, even I'll admit that the story and dialogue of Space Marine was at the best of times, dull/uninteresting and at worst silly/stupid.

The voice actors weren't really good either, and I did miss some interesting soundmixing to make the voices of he space marines themselves sound A LOT deeper than they did. I mean, if you genetically modify a teenage boy already predisposed towards high levels of testosterone and basically turn him into a genetically engineered steroid superhuman and pretty much remove all traces of oestrogen in his body, then his voice should be deep to the point of sounding like a growling bear with rabies and anal itching. NOT like an effeminate ectomorph beanstalk of a man (like the voice actors in the game sound like).

But I digress, mind numbingly stupid stories and dialogue are NOT an intristic part of the 40K franchise. And considering that im not trying to defend Space Marine and actually admit that glaring fault of it, I think my opinion should count as level-headed and reasonable despite being an avid 40K-fan in general.

If you picked up some novels from either Dan Abnett (The Gaunt's Ghosts series, Eisenhorn- and Ravenor trilogies specifically) or Sandy Mitchell (The Ciaphas Cain series), I have faith that you'd find that even if the setting might not be your cup of tea, the setting is being used in creative and far from mind-numbing ways by some authors.

The thing is, the people responsible for Space Marine, I think, are game developers first and good storywriters... Well not at all. And couple that with the fact that Space Marine is pretty much a games workshop posterboy-game since it's inception (Believe it or not, but the 40K-setting has other things besides space marines, but due to space marines being so popular for reasons I can't really understand they get most of the attention from the majority of the fans and Games Workshop alike), it's bound to result in something like the end product.

That said, despite seeing potential for a lot more that could've been done with Space Marine and the fact that I dearly hope that the game developers behind it are going to pick up interest in other parts of the 40K-setting and explore them with the purpose of making different games, I am NOT disappointed with Space Marine.

Because Space Marine (to me) is more about simulation. In other words accurately portraying these power armoured, superhuman, warrior monks in action, which I think it does rather effectively right down to the way you can pop an Ork's head with awell placed bolter round. Another nice bonus was the enviroments of the game (being appropriately large, imposing and decorated with a lot of skull motifs and war just like they are in all the pictures in the books).

Next, I'd like to see Necromunda as an MMORPG... Or better yet, someone picking up on the Dark Heresy franchise and make a very deep story driven game where you play as an acolyte of the Inquisition. There's much that can be done with the setting because it's so rich, hopefully Space Marine will generate enough exposition to make game developers inspired to do just that.

Just a few words from a 40K-fan. :)

White Fire

Nov 5, 2009
boyvirgo666 said:
See this game is kinda hit and miss. If you like 40k youl be just fine. Gameplay wise outside the health regen system the game works fine and is plenty fun. But i have one major complaint. That is now how you pronounce lieutenant.

Edit: yes i am aware that some European countries pronounce it that way but i dont care it sounds dumb and the Etymology disagrees with that pronunciation.

It's how we in Britain pronounce it and, considering 40k is a British Franchise and that imperial gothic is based on a mix of english and latin, it's not surprising that that's how lieutenant is pronounced in game.

Soviet Heavy said:
The somewhat obscure references to other games or background pieces? I can understand that. It was nice seeing a cameo from the Dawn of War games, but only people familiar with them will actually get what just happened. Despite being so simplistic in its storytelling, Space Marines seems to do a good job of shutting people out if they aren't on the know how.
I thought the same thing, it would have really helped just to have an in game encyclopaedia where players could look up various background information on the different factions and the universe in general.

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
rsvp42 said:
dashiz94 said:
WHY WOULD ANYONE BUY THIS?!!?

I'm absolutely confused what has happened here.

Everything about this game just screams AVERAGE. The graphics are bland and atypical of most shooters these days, the gameplay is adequate but there's nothing that makes it extraordinary. I will admit, the sound was well done in this game, but beyond that everything else is just so mediocre.

What I find so funny about this review is how out of date it seems. Clouse went on and on about the EPIC sequences that all were bloody cutscenes, not gameplay. How is that fun? You know what game also makes you feel like a seven foot killing machine?

HALO

And unlike Halo Space Marine's multiplayer is painstakingly bland too. And armor customization? Already been done. A hundred times over. In other games (like Halo)

I guess what ticks me off so much is how everyone seems to be so in love with this game because of some...hell I don't know, fanboyism it almost seems. People complain all the time about strategy games being remade into boring shooters, but this is totally fine.

Please, for the sake of the medium, move past your fandom and just don't buy this game.

And you'll thank me later too. 8 hours for $60 bucks and a sub-par multiplayer? No thanks.
But it's FUUUUN. Or at least my friends and I think so. We're 40k fans, sure, but there's a nice pick-up-and-play feel to the multiplayer and the campaign is fun, even if it's not groundbreaking. If you're not sold on the lore at all then yeah, you'll probably think it's lame and overrated, but for fans who just want to lay into enemies with a heavy bolter, it's great. There's no other 40k games out there that play like this. There's the RTS games, but no other recent shooters.

Oh and the reason this game gets a pass for turning a strategy game into a shooter is because the lore supports it. Warhammer 40k is turn-based strategy because it had to be. The tabletop was the only way they could realize it properly when it was invented, but everything in the game was meant to simulate some sort of real combat situation. When players roll to see who got hit by that tank round, it was meant to simulate an actual cannon shooting your squad and some troops dodging, surviving, etc. Plus all the books have already portrayed events as happening in real time combat. TL;DR - there's a precedent for this and it doesn't break the lore or spirit of the IP.
That's a fair argument, and I did understand the lore aspect of the game (I iz no n00b to WH40K) but I still felt like the game was a massive pile of bland. But, you enjoyed it, so whatever

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
rayen020 said:
Redryhno said:
rayen020 said:
Redryhno said:
I like the 40k games and all, but I wish they would do something other than Space Marines as the main characters, I mean, who wouldn't want to play a campaign as an Aspect Warrior or Ork Boyz or (Emperor and Harlequin strike me down for admitting this) a Tyranid?
Fire Warrior?
Last I checked, Fire Dragons are Aspect Warrior, if you were referencing/saying something else, sorry, but I didn't catch it
I was talking about a game called fire warrior. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Warrior] it's a game for PS2 where you play tau of the fire caste. First warhammer 40k game i ever saw. I don't think it faired well on the review circuit though.

dashiz94 said:
WHY WOULD ANYONE BUY THIS?!!?

I'm absolutely confused what has happened here.

Everything about this game just screams AVERAGE. The graphics are bland and atypical of most shooters these days, the gameplay is adequate but there's nothing that makes it extraordinary. I will admit, the sound was well done in this game, but beyond that everything else is just so mediocre.

What I find so funny about this review is how out of date it seems. Clouse went on and on about the EPIC sequences that all were bloody cutscenes, not gameplay. How is that fun? You know what game also makes you feel like a seven foot killing machine?

HALO

And unlike Halo Space Marine's multiplayer is painstakingly bland too. And armor customization? Already been done. A hundred times over. In other games (like Halo)

I guess what ticks me off so much is how everyone seems to be so in love with this game because of some...hell I don't know, fanboyism it almost seems. People complain all the time about strategy games being remade into boring shooters, but this is totally fine.

Please, for the sake of the medium, move past your fandom and just don't buy this game.

And you'll thank me later too. 8 hours for $60 bucks and a sub-par multiplayer? No thanks.
gentlemen, i believe we have a Halo Fanboy among us.
Funny enough, I generally don't like Halo all too much, it just felt like a good comparison. (7 foot tall soldier, multiplayer armor customization, silly story yadda yadda yadda.)

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
If the single player campaign had been longer this likely would have been a must buy for me. At the moment I think I'll wait for it to go on sale.

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
White Fire said:
boyvirgo666 said:
See this game is kinda hit and miss. If you like 40k youl be just fine. Gameplay wise outside the health regen system the game works fine and is plenty fun. But i have one major complaint. That is now how you pronounce lieutenant.

Edit: yes i am aware that some European countries pronounce it that way but i dont care it sounds dumb and the Etymology disagrees with that pronunciation.

It's how we in Britain pronounce it and, considering 40k is a British Franchise and that imperial gothic is based on a mix of english and latin, it's not surprising that that's how lieutenant is pronounced in game.

Soviet Heavy said:
The somewhat obscure references to other games or background pieces? I can understand that. It was nice seeing a cameo from the Dawn of War games, but only people familiar with them will actually get what just happened. Despite being so simplistic in its storytelling, Space Marines seems to do a good job of shutting people out if they aren't on the know how.
I thought the same thing, it would have really helped just to have an in game encyclopaedia where players could look up various background information on the different factions and the universe in general.
Please dont correct me with your facts and logic. They have no place on the internetz. heh.

Anyway yeah the encylopedia might have been a good idea.

The game would have been mu better if you could play as an imperial guardsmen i think. I like space marines and all but guardsmen make for better character.

KingTiger

Nov 6, 2009
Good review, I really enjoyed this game.

I just wish the Blood Ravens in the campaign sounded like the ones in DOW2 and Chaos Rising. They lacked the zeal and anger of their other games.

Still, one of the best games I have ever bought.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
boyvirgo666 said:
White Fire said:
boyvirgo666 said:

Soviet Heavy said:
Please dont correct me with your facts and logic. They have no place on the internetz. heh.

The game would have been mu better if you could play as an imperial guardsmen i think. I like space marines and all but guardsmen make for better character.
I don't think an imperial guardsman would've been a good idea, too fragile. You'd be dying every other second.

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
boyvirgo666 said:
White Fire said:
boyvirgo666 said:

Soviet Heavy said:

I don't think an imperial guardsman would've been a good idea, too fragile. You'd be dying every other second.
Heh read Gaunts ghosts. Will show you why thats not true. Mkoll is easily more dangerous than a squad of space marines.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
I was really on the fence with this game when it was first announced. Then I found out it has multiplayer and coop.

Then I saw this review.

Then I found out it's 20 euros in my country.

Yep, I'm buying it.

xGraeme63x

Jul 5, 2011
boyvirgo666 said:
That's how the Canadian forces pronounce it. Once again your country is trying to be different but tried you guys tried to hard....sad sad USA.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
It looks half way decent gameplay wise but I ABSOLUTELY HATE THE ARMOR DESIGN!!! there armor looks hideous and I can barely stand to look at it...<.<

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
xGraeme63x said:
boyvirgo666 said:
That's how the Canadian forces pronounce it. Once again your country is trying to be different but tried you guys tried to hard....sad sad USA.
I also had a problem with that. Lieutenant is pronounced Lewtenant, not leftenant. In that case I assume there are also rightenants. In this case the U.S. is right and it is Europe and Canada that can't say it right. Maybe they could patch it to have Titus say it correctly.
boyvirgo666 said:
Xan Krieger said:
boyvirgo666 said:
White Fire said:
boyvirgo666 said:

Soviet Heavy said:

Heh read Gaunts ghosts. Will show you why thats not true. Mkoll is easily more dangerous than a squad of space marines.
I've actually read about quite a few guardsmen such as Sly Marbo that could work. I'm just saying on average guardsmen are like battle droids in Star Wars, only killing things by crushing them under the weight of their own lifeless corpses.

Sean Deli

May 11, 2011
I found the multiplayer surprisingly interestin and engaging.

No vehicle combat, that feels like driving a shopping cart suspended by helium ballons - check.
Jump packs to punish campers with a gentle tap on the shoulder via a thunder hammer - check.
Several equally viable layouts to choose from for both Annihilation and Seize ground, depending on what game style you prefer - check.

If Relic adds more maps AND game modes AND weapons AND classes - I'd be a happy Ultrasmurf.
Haven't had so much fun online since playing Team Fortress 2.

Now, just to clarify - my opinion is based on Steam version of the game. If it sucks on consoles - well, this is me, playing the world tiniest violin.