Warhammer 40K MMO Will Cost At Least $50 Million

bloob

Feb 10, 2008
$50 million to make an MMO to combat WoW is not going to be enough, i don't even think it will be enough to combat TOR which is rumoured to have between $100-$300 million depending on which figure you believe.

Personally it is as good a universe as any to make a MMO in, but the choice of developer doesn't inspire me with confidence, darksiders was a massive ripoff of any popular game in a similar genre. As people i.e. yahtzee and extra credits have already pointed out a MMO copying the existing MMOs isn't going to topple the current giant (WoW if that wasn't obvious)

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
GamesB2 said:
Worth. It.

This is the only MMO I am seriously considering paying subscription fees for, as long as it's good of course!

Edited a more appropriate quote for an Eldar fan :3

FEEL THE FURY OF THE SWORDWIND!!!

Seriously, give me a game where I can roll an eldar warlock already.

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
screw the emperor and the dark gods. let them throw millions of lives away. the true victors will be the commie space robots who wait quietly in the shadows and expand bit by bit, slowly absorbing other alien races into "the greater good." then we strike the corpse-god down on his golden throne and seeing how the tau cant be corrupted by the dark gods, they dont stand a chance.

GreyKnight3445

Nov 2, 2010
GamesB2 said:
Worth. It.

This is the only MMO I am seriously considering paying subscription fees for, as long as it's good of course!

Edited a more appropriate quote for an Eldar fan :3

that "fiery destroyer of worlds" is probably going to be cloned a dime a dozen and as dangerous as an ant.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
sleeky01 said:
Granted it's a very brief shot of that Templar shooting, but it looked to me like target selection consisted of manually moving his reticule to the target. Just like most FPS's today.

As for the skill bar....well my (former)favorite online-FPS was Planetside. And it had a skill bar as well:
Yes, but the Warhammer 40k have way more spells and skills, that shows their focus. Maybe a Hybird gameplay?

Nadiril

Dec 28, 2008
Scytail said:
screw the emperor and the dark gods. let them throw millions of lives away. the true victors will be the commie space robots who wait quietly in the shadows and expand bit by bit, slowly absorbing other alien races into "the greater good." then we strike the corpse-god down on his golden throne and seeing how the tau cant be corrupted by the dark gods, they dont stand a chance.
Bah, they may not be corrupted by the whispers of the dark gods but they shall die by their hands anyway.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
It's nice to see that the profits from all of those overpriced minis I bought are being put to good use! I have heard that Imperium, Eldar, Tyranids, and Orks will be in, I wonder if the MMO format will allow some of the lesser known factions and xeno races to be represented, like the Hrud or Enslavers? I wonder if the Tau or Dark Eldar will be included either as NPC factions or expansion races for the order/chaos sides they have set up. The Tau are probably a bit unlikely, as much as I like them, but the Dark Eldar seem to pop up all over, so I suppose they might make it in in some form or another.

I usually don't like MMOs, but I might be willing to make an exception for this one, depending how things turn out.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Omegatronacles said:
teebeeohh said:
Omegatronacles said:
teebeeohh said:
my only problem is that the only solution if you want to have factions(and everyone wants factions since they worked so well in wow) is to limit players to the Imperium and maybe make a chaos/orc alliance as the enemy. And that would suck, i will not play this game if can not be an eldar.

I would also settle for piloting a battlesuit
Who says they have to limit the factions? Just because WoW has 2 factions doesn't mean every other game has to have 2 factions.
so which game (besides DAoC) tried more than 2? or less for that matter, even lotro has you playing monsters. the problem would still be that with very few exceptions the Imperium does not ally itself with xenos and it also would be unrealistic to put everyone who is not human into a faction. and if you have more than 2 faction you would need to seriously gimp the Imperial one get some kind of balance between them
Why not have each race be its own faction? No gimping required. Just because more than 2 factions is not the norm doesn't mean it's the law.
i am not saying that i don't like this, there are just two problems i see with this:
1. more than 2 factions splinter the number of players too much and by now everyone who makes an mmo should know that nobody is ever gonna have the numbers of players wow has.
2. all the factions should be of equal strength and the Imperium is just so much more powerful than everyone else(except maybe the tyranids).

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
wrecker77 said:
I'm sorry... i'm just really detracted by how awesome that image is to have an opinion.

Dayum.
This.

As a rule, I don't touch MMOs simply because they render time and cash as mere play-things for the dark gods....

But, the temptation the idea of a 40K MMO induces...

[/drool]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I bet it will look something like;

1) Standard game where you and a group, or soloing, go about the galaxy hunting down a certain hero/heretic in a story arc. In some of the books, the humans have teamed up with the Eldar.

2) Mass PvP battles like we see on the tabletops, Space Marines vs Orks for example. Two gigantic armies in a deafening clash.

3) Raid events where you take on a Titan-sized enemy.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
shadowform said:
Here's the problem with a WH40k MMO:

People who just like MMO's are going to keep playing WoW, Aion, EQ, whatever - the game they're already familiar with, already have formed loyalties within, and already know that they like.

The people who like WH40k are going to play it - and then quit, because Tyranids would NEVER work together with Chaos, Space Marines would never willingly operate with Eldar (or xenos of any kind for that matter), IG should die WAY faster than they do (i mean, seriously? my khornate berzerker hit that guy THREE TIMES with his axe! an IG shouldn't be able to take ONE hit from a khornate soldier and survive!), they don't have my favorite but ubscoure and underrepresented faction of Space Marines available as a core faction, and there's no 'Rape' option for slaaneshi chaos marines.

The people who just like futuristic fantasy games are probably going to play it for a month or two, and then bail back to the Crysis 2 multiplayer, Microsofts new Halo 4: The Exploitation, whatever new futuristic game Valve is apparently coming out with, and so on... assuming they aren't too busy playing that new Star Wars MMO that's apparently coming out soon... or playing what will probably become a F2P-Freemium Star Trek Online.

In order to get any real kind of success, THQ is going to have to revolutionize how MMOs are played - probably doing something more along the lines of an MMORTS - to keep the core WH40k fanbase happy, and even then I really doubt that the actual fanbase for WH40k, vocal as it is, is actually big enough to sustain a game that cost $50 million at launch...
Space Marines have teamed up with Xenos (especially Eldar) maybe times. Most of time a lot more lax about "heresy" thank mormal Imperium Forces. Slaaneshi isn't only about rape and if you're playing as an IG you'll be in a sqaud, so there you go.

Greyfox_Shep

Aug 6, 2010
Please may they not made this game another "Like World of Warcraft but".

Nadiril said:
So I'm going to assume that there will be no female space marines (unless like they suggested they use the SoB's), no female orks etc.

Actually, there no female orks in the scenario, because they reproduce by spores (I'm not making this up).
When a ork dies, his body expel spores, that grow in a fungi-like plant that soon give birth to another ork.
The only eficient weay to eliminate the race from a planet afther it first invasion, is by Planet Exterminatus (or a Tyranid invasion maybe).

Source: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Orks#Reproduction

About female space marines, maybe the Sister of Battle could fit in this role as was said before.

Namewithheld

Apr 30, 2008
FarleShadow said:
AccursedTheory said:
That makes them no less lame.

W40K is a SciFi for the bold.
I facepalmed so hard, I broke my face.

No. W40K is not 'SciFi for the BOLD', its just vanilla Sci-Fi with a non-Lucas afiliated dark side. God, that was a lame lame lame statement.
You're BOTH wrong.

Warhamemmer 40,000 is a Gothic fantasy set against the backdrop of a Frank Herbert style Galactic Feudalism, with a heavy dollop of romantic idealism, tempered by the 1980s pitch black British cynicism.

Also, the fact that we can't play as Rogue Traders in this MMO makes me sad.

Why no love for the super-rich, swashbuckling privateers flying gigantic battle churches with crews numbering in the tens of thousands?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Well, there goes any hope that there would be no subscription.
If I did pay fees for gaming, this is one I might've payed.
I do hope they have a free trial period.