Warhammer Online Gets New Classes Today

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Warhammer Online Gets New Classes Today

Players can get early access to the two new careers for Warhammer Online, the Orc Choppa and Dwarf Slayer, by participating in a new live event added to the game today.

Mythic is releasing the 1.2 patch for two new careers [http://herald.warhammeronline.com/patchnotes/index.php#_74]. The two new careers, the Orc Choppa and Dwarf Slayer are "melee-focused careers [who] relish the thrill of fighting on the front lines and laying waste to all foes that come within reach of their mighty blades."

The event you'll have to finish to get early access to the careers is called "Bitter Rivals," and apparently focuses on the nasty rivalry between the Dwarves and the Greenskins. Finish "Bitter Rivals," and you'll get to try out the new classes in a week - don't do it and you'll have to wait an entire week after that to get to Choppa'ing or Slaying, depending on your preference. Really, it's not like finishing the new content will be getting you anything early, it just means you won't be getting the new careers late. My guess is that anyone in WAR will probably do Bitter Rivals as soon as possible, so why hesitate at all?

Other changes to the game come in the form of a number of tweaks, fixes and balancing changes, easier Public Quests and a new Scenario called the Twisted Tower.

Servers will go down later today around 7:00 PM EST in North America and 9:00 PM EST in the rest of the Warhammer playing world. They'll be back up with a couple hours if all goes well, so if you're eager for new WAR content, just be patient and it'll be there soon enough.

To all the WAR strays - will this (along with all the other new content Mythic has coming down the line) be sufficient to get you interested in the game again? Or will it just serve to satisfy those who are still playing the game and only them?

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I just wish I could still play MMO's. WAR would be the MMO for me, regardless of new classes or not.

Oh well, back to waiting for Empire: Total War

Dyselon

Oct 3, 2007
I like WoW a lot, and I've never played Warhammer, but I assume I'll want a break from WoW eventually, and WAR is a likely place for me to go. Hearing that they're still implementing significant new content is pretty exciting as a potential future customer of theirs.

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
im still waiting for Either a Fallout MMO, or a Warmhammer 40k one, but sooner or later i think il try my hand at this one

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
WAR has a pretty decent number of people. I took part in that 10 day demo, I might throw up my impressions later.

Medic Heavy

Jul 4, 2008
I really wish that before I bought this game and 2 months of playing time that someone told me this game isn't compatible with my computer.

Always fun to get really excited then pour 70$ down the drain!

/Sarcasm

MisterAnarchist

Feb 10, 2009
It sucks cause the game had some great ideas and could have done great except for 2 things:

1) Classes on opposite sides should be exact mirrors for simple balancing issues (I got a sorceress to rank 25 knowing my "copy" was so much more powerful)

2) Needs more people and I partially blame WoW for their monopoly over the MMO market making other good innovative MMO's fail.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
MisterAnarchist said:
It sucks cause the game had some great ideas and could have done great except for 2 things:

1) Classes on opposite sides should be exact mirrors for simple balancing issues (I got a sorceress to rank 25 knowing my "copy" was so much more powerful)

2) Needs more people and I partially blame WoW for their monopoly over the MMO market making other good innovative MMO's fail.
Yes that's it. WoW 'makes' them fail.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
I played both WoW and WAR and I have to say that I think WAR has it's advantages, but it's PvE is failmuch, and there aren't enough people : \

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
MisterAnarchist said:

so your telling me that a troll hunter isnt different from a dwarf hunter? also there are still quite a few people that play. i started to play again to see if it change from the first month. it hasnt really though. classes have now been balanced, framerate is a hell of a lot better and there arnt any morons that play this game. now that the promised content has been released i think they will focus more on improvement over content, which isnt a bad thing seeing as they have released more content that WotLK has so far.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Aren't those just classes they took out cuz they were broken and they're just now adding back?

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
ItsAPaul said:
Aren't those just classes they took out cuz they were broken and they're just now adding back?
partly true. they mostly took them out so that they could release it before lich king

Bluntknife

Sep 8, 2008
MisterAnarchist said:

I played Warhammer for awhile after launch, got a rank 40 and a few other to a significant level.

Its pretty fun, you can have some major battles but its realy hard to take keeps if there are any defenders and requires alot of teamwork and planning.

But by far the best part about it being able to smack the damned bright wizard into the lava and watch him try to escape only to meet the buisness end my sword.

As for the balance issues, there are some until you hit rank 40 (max) then everything is pretty good, comes down to who plays their class better, but gear does have a factor.

MisterAnarchist

Feb 10, 2009
GothmogII said:
MisterAnarchist said:

Yes that's it. WoW 'makes' them fail.
Not quite what I meant, WAR needs a large number of people to make the system work the way it was planned, when 90% of the MMO players are all playing WoW they don't have time/money to play another one. Taking keeps and eventually city raids are the most fun I've probably ever had in any MMO, but with such low populations on servers it's not easily possible to accomplish those things.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Skizle said:
ItsAPaul said:
partly true. they mostly took them out so that they could release it before lich king
Seems retarded. Although WoW is trying to get the hardcore people to quit, I'm not sure why getting your game out before that expansion means anything substantial.

Tony Harrison

Jan 28, 2008
I don't think my subscription will still be active when the new classes are actually playable. More important to the long term are the changes to the way RvR is managed, will have to see how that works out. The only problem is the system is already a bit over contrived.

I think the distinct differences between the sides is one of the better things going for WAR.
IMO, The reason WAR is not retaining players as they would like is that at the moment (Pre-Patch)the end game just isn't fun. They made a mistake giving rewards for activities other than fighting people so that the most reliable way to advance a character is to avoid fighting real players, so there's no real RvR.
The RvR zones are too obviously RvR zones, shared between the realms, giving no feeling of ownership which might have provided some motivation for fighting. This is something the new system is designed to help.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
ItsAPaul said:
Skizle said:
ItsAPaul said:
Seems retarded. Although WoW is trying to get the hardcore people to quit, I'm not sure why getting your game out before that expansion means anything substantial.
in a way WoW countered them by releasing lich king early w/o putting all the end game instances in. and now look whats happening to WoW.