Warhammer Online Players Streaming Back To World Of Warcraft

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Warhammer Online Players Streaming Back To World Of Warcraft

It's becoming increasingly obvious that Mike Morhaime has sold his soul to the Devil: The Warhammer Online [http://www.blizzard.com/] are already streaming back in droves.

Despite its age, despite the much-ballyhooed launch of competing MMOGs Age of Conan and Warhammer Online, despite a worldwide economic meltdown of epic proportions, Blizzard's venerable MMOG keeps marching along, seemingly oblivious to it all. The developer announced at the end of October that the game had reached Wrath of the Lich King [http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/10/28/world-of-warcraft-hits-11-million-subscribers-worldwide/], just one week from today. Perhaps even more significantly, the launch of the two most likely candidates for "WoW-killer" appeared to have little lasting impact on the game's momentum.

"Even though the quarter was book-ended by competitors in the MMO space, the World of Warcraft subscriber base continued to grow," Morhaime said during Activision's quarterly earnings call. "Age of Conan launched toward the end of the June quarter, and Warhammer Online came out in mid-September. To date, 68% of the players who listed Age of Conan as their reason for cancellation and 46% of the players who listed Warhammer as their reason for cancellation have reactivated their subscriptions to World of Warcraft."

"World of Warcraft also managed to grow its subscribership, despite the Olympics and the summer vacation period," he added. "At the end of the quarter, World of Warcraft had 1.5 million more subscribers than during the same time last year."

Morhaime's numbers support Peter Moore [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86857]?

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Will the WoW monster never end? Will it still be growing by 2010, 2020, 2100? When nuclear war hits the world, all the earth is left toxic, will there still be mutants jumping there night elf around goldshire? Probley...

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
Will the WoW monster never end? Will it still be growing by 2010, 2020, 2100? When nuclear war hits the world, all the earth is left toxic, will there still be mutants jumping there night elf around goldshire? Probley...
People will construct PCs out of electronic parts they can salvage and continue to play WoW. All while Blizzard relax in their nuclear-proof bunker and rake in the cash.

Spectre39

Oct 6, 2008
This just further proves that WoW is the best MMO out there right now. Any sort of imitator might get 5 minutes of fame, but in the end WoW will remain the best.

Rhann

Nov 6, 2008
RedMenace said:
Number of subscribers grows. That includes both inactive accounts and insane people with multiple accounts? As for me, i quit MMORPGers all together. Need more time for my Real Life.
Yeah, that is what I assumed as well, until someone pointed out in the media alerts that it is active subscribers.

http://www.blizzard.com/us/press/081028.html

World of Warcraft's Subscriber Definition
World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees' territories are defined along the same rules.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
i'm not going back to them, just got kinda tiring, they keep making excuses as to why they "can't" get rid of gold spammers or make a linux port

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
Mike Morhaime is Yuri from Red Alert 2, and World of Warcraft will be the Psychic Dominator with which he controls the bloody world.

Only a time-traveling commander and the Soviet Union can stop him now.

crazy-j

Sep 15, 2008
Bocaj2000 said:
I want to migrate to Warhammer...
*sigh
so alone
i would do it to i just dont have enough money/good enough rig 2 play it

and wow seriously needs to end

Bluntknife

Sep 8, 2008
I wont be going back to WoW
I started playing warhammer mainly because of the pvp aspect, and I'm having a blast.

The only times I ever had fun with WoW was doing city raids, which most people deamed pointless, and never got a big turnout even though it was a PvP server.

back to the point, if Warhammer goes down the tube thats when I'll start playing Stargate Worlds :p

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
I have been playing WAR over the last month or two and I have no plans to go back to WOW. I guess it comes down to personal preference. I like the world, the RVR (pvp), and the class diversity that comes with a highly polished WAR. Will people run to WoW now that the WotLK is out? Sure, but I wonder how much of that number reflects people with mutiple WAR/WoW accounts? Personally, I'd rather beat myself on the head with an "Eloquent Sword of the Monkey" before having to listen to another fourteen year old explain a fight for an hour on vent.

Conan on the other hand was a huge mess. I think they should have held off on its release until they had worked out some endgame fun and fixed the bugs. I don't blame anyone for leaving it.

Wombats

Oct 3, 2008
I'm loving WAR and memories of WoW still inspire revulsion.
Not a single member of our clan has gone back to WoW.

Note that there is no evidence in this article these increasing numbers are coming from WAR.

Conjecture pretending to be journalism?

This isn't the first time Malygris has gone WAR-bashing.
At least he's not taking forum posts grossly out of context.
He's moved up to parroting media releases.

crazy-j

Sep 15, 2008
Ivoryagent said:
crazy-j said:
Bocaj2000 said:
I want to migrate to Warhammer...
*sigh
so alone
i would do it to i just dont have enough money/good enough rig 2 play it

and wow seriously needs to end
For what reason and why?
it destroys peoples social life, gobbles up your money and turns you into a mindless..."thing" whose only concern is lvling up and getting epics