Warhammer Vermintide Adds Paid and Free DLC Today

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Warhammer Vermintide Adds Paid and Free DLC Today

New game mode available to all players.

Two bits of expansion content are arriving for Warhammer: End Times Vermintide today, including a new "Last Stand" mode. As one might guess, it's a horde mode where players work together to defeat oncoming waves of Skaven, with increasingly valuable rewards for surviving longer. The free update comes with one map for the mode, "The Town."

The second addition is another map for the aforementioned Last Stand mode. "Schluesselschloss" is a paid add-on set in the titular fortress. Schluesselschloss will be offered for $2.99 and will not require all players to have purchased the content to play, as owners will be able to invite friends without the DLC to join them in games.

Both Last Stand and Schluesselschloss will release on Steam this afternoon.

[gallery=5916]

Source: Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/437070]

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Neato for players, I guess. Not meanly priced for a map that doesn't require ownership by each participant. That is some quite astonishingly bad music, though. If I may suggest an alternative:

Yeah, basically any music.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Barbas said:
Neato for players, I guess. Not meanly priced for a map that doesn't require ownership by each participant. That is some quite astonishingly bad music, though. If I may suggest an alternative:

it
Yeah, basically any music.
Its great stadium music for a sporting event. I heard this weekend and worked well in that environment.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
A game with a lot of fun ideas and a decent spin on the Left4Dead formula.
Sadly the game was rushed out of beta and thrown in with the sharks when it got spit out on the cusp of Triple A November.
They pretty much instantly murdered their player base with a horrible loot system. Players were essentially forced to play the same missions over and over again to have the best chances at loot. Which caused the developer to rush out patches to fix all the exploits further driving players away from the game.

I tried to love the game, but mid December when their "loot overhaul" system basically solved nothing, I quit.
I honestly wonder why some companies continue to push out DLC when their base game is essentially dead.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Rednog said:
I tried to love the game, but mid December when their "loot overhaul" system basically solved nothing, I quit.
I honestly wonder why some companies continue to push out DLC when their base game is essentially dead.
Usually it's contractual obligation to the publisher and they get paid either way.

For example, Battlefield Hardline PC gets all the same updates as the console versions, for the whole 800 people who still log into play. It's probably safe to assume those 800 all bought the Season Pass too.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Rednog said:
A game with a lot of fun ideas and a decent spin on the Left4Dead formula.
Sadly the game was rushed out of beta and thrown in with the sharks when it got spit out on the cusp of Triple A November.
They pretty much instantly murdered their player base with a horrible loot system. Players were essentially forced to play the same missions over and over again to have the best chances at loot. Which caused the developer to rush out patches to fix all the exploits further driving players away from the game.

I kinda agree with this.

Vermintide is a legitimately good game with fun combat, some really nice design and fantastic aesthetics and atmosphere.

It is also extremely annoying to try to make progress in. My favourite class (not my best class, mind, but my favourite) was the Witch Hunter. Specifically I liked the Rapier with the side pistol you start with. I thought it was a cool concept and I rather enjoyed the fluidity of slashing away and taking the occasional ranged shot; it was a very flexible and fun playstyle for me.

I just could not get a Rapier weapon upgrade. I admit I didn't play a gigantic amount of the game, about fifteen to twenty hours or so, but in that time I had many many green and blue drops. I've just checked the wiki now and I'm pretty sure I've had a weapon of almost every single other weapon for every class...except for a Rapier (in fact the only other weapon that stands out for me as not remembering having any of at all are the Drakefire Pistols). I must have had about four or five blue axes for the Witch Hunter and a couple of Two-Handed Swords, but no Rapier.

I didn't want any of that. I just wanted a damn upgrade to my starting Rapier/Pistol. Which never came. So I just flat out became bored of trying, with near zero control over drops and only one single item per run it became very boring and frustrating. As well as more difficult to play on higher difficulties without suitable equipment. I felt like I was just repeatedly pulling the lever on a fruit machine and getting rubbish spat out at me and that I was going nowhere in my attempts to improve my equipment. It was very disheartening.

Jan 19, 2016
Samtemdo8 said:
To Warhammer Fantasy fans this game is gonna be a distant Memory when Warhammer Total War comes out.
Aren't WHFB fans still angry about CA gating Chaos behind a pre-order wall, and GW killing off WHFB entirely? Any hype I had for TW:W was killed by those things.

Aug 31, 2012
Eh...Suppose I'll just echo previous statements. Was generally pretty entertaining to play, looked nice (I'd love to be able to just walk through the levels with no enemies), but the loot system , which I suspect was supposed to add longevity, ended up making you feel like you were getting no reward at all a lot of the time. They basically added grind to the game, often times thankless grind.

Halyah said:
As for the whole anger over killing WHFB thing, only time will tell how well that works out for GW. I have't heard any concrete financial info on the outcome of that move, but then I haven't been searching for it either so...I do know a few who's still pissed about it if that counts though.
I wouldn't say I was "pissed", but despite having never updated from 3rd edition, I would still buy WHFB models on occasion because they look good and still fit in with the old ones. And having played a fair bit of WHFRP 1&2 I would say there's more of a sadness that the Old Warhammer world is over, rather than anger. No, I wasn't going to buy WHFB or a new edition of WHFRP, but while GW were still producing material in the setting it felt like the older editions were still being kept alive in a way. Maybe old beards like me are half the reason they got rid of WHFB. *sigh*

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Zykon TheLich said:
Eh...Suppose I'll just echo previous statements. Was generally pretty entertaining to play, looked nice (I'd love to be able to just walk through the levels with no enemies), but the loot system , which I suspect was supposed to add longevity, ended up making you feel like you were getting no reward at all a lot of the time. They basically added grind to the game, often times thankless grind.
The really silly part is I'm not even 100% sure the loot system was necessary.

In THEORY its a nice idea but in practice its an exercise in frustration. Left4Dead did just fine without a loot system.

If they really wanted to put in progression then some kinda level-up progression system that unlocked new weapon types and more customisation options for the characters (possibly even some perks for the character a la Killing Floor) then that would have been fine. And I'm normally one who thinks that progression systems in multiplayer is stupid, but it'd have still been better than the drop system.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Halyah said:
Bilious Green said:
Samtemdo8 said:
To Warhammer Fantasy fans this game is gonna be a distant Memory when Warhammer Total War comes out.
Aren't WHFB fans still angry about CA gating Chaos behind a pre-order wall, and GW killing off WHFB entirely? Any hype I had for TW:W was killed by those things.
Last I heard, any Total Warhammer trailer by the company kept getting a lot of downvotes. If thats still the case I can't say though.

As for the whole anger over killing WHFB thing, only time will tell how well that works out for GW. I have't heard any concrete financial info on the outcome of that move, but then I haven't been searching for it either so... I do know a few who's still pissed about it if that counts though.
How many "controversies" have we had concerning Pre-Order stuff?

From Legitimate Complaints to just plain butthurt rants the games industry still has not stopped this tactic of Pre-Order for exclusive content.

Aug 31, 2012
Halyah said:
The fantasy setting had a lot of potential, but needed some polish and story advancement. It gained my interest slowly over time though. I'd say the warhammer fantasy mmo that was shortly around is likely the main reason for it even despite it not allowing me to play as vampires(my main interests in the setting). So very sad to see it go like this. Though I suppose there's always the warhammer fantasy mod for CK2 to enjoy for people like me.
I would've said it needed winding back, but that's old beards for you.

You might be able to pick up (certainly on pdf) the 2nd edition vampire sourcebook for WHFRP if that interests you. Night's Dark Masters it was called. Having been left by the wayside many times before, there is a fairly resilient hardcore base of WHFRP players on the internet.