Warner Bros. Appealing Against Australian Mortal Kombat Ban

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Warner Bros. Appealing Against Australian Mortal Kombat Ban

The publisher claims that the reboot of the fighting series is no more violent then games that have already been approved for sale in Australia.

It can be hard to predict what games will raise the ire of Australia's Office of Film and Literature Classification and which won't, and the upcoming Mortal Kombat [http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E1JS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299071242&sr=8-1] game was one of the unlucky ones. But publisher Warner Bros. says that it doesn't accept the OFLC's decision, and it isn't planning on censoring the game either.

In a statement, Warner said that it was appealing the OFLC's ruling. It said that it had taken another look at Mortal Kombat and felt that it was no worse than other games already available for sale in Australia. It planned to resubmit the game with no changes as it was, saying that it wanted to look into all avenues to get Mortal Kombat in front Australian gamers. Presumably, if this appeal fails, then Warner will eventually look into cutting some content to make the game more palatable to the Australian censors.

This is just another example of Australia's rather stringent ratings policy for videogames, which currently lacks a mature rating for the medium, making things difficult for publishers, developers, and gamers alike. The issue will eventually come before Australia's Attorneys-General - although when [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107816-Australias-Game-Rating-Overhaul-Delayed-Again] is anyone's guess - so with any luck, Australian gamers won't have to put up with the situation for too much longer.

Mortal Kombat comes out for Xbox 360 and PS3 on April 19th.

Source: IGN [http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/1152912p1.html]

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Maybe they should just anchor a ship 12 miles out and let people buy copies there. I think that could provide an interesting experience.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Won't have to put up with this much longer? Hah... That's what I said back in 2005...

I really hope it gets released here, if not it'll have to be my first import.

TheLoneSeeker

Your Towel
Feb 8, 2010
I have mixed feelings about this; on one hand, it'd be good if the appeal is successful, as Aussie gamers will be able to get their hands on the game. However IF the game has content that would warrant an R18+ rating and it gets classified in Australia (which means getting an MA15+ rating), that goes against one of the main arguments we gamers are using in favour of the adult rating: restricting the sale of inappropriate content to minors.

Drauden

Jun 2, 2010
TheLoneSeeker said:
Good if the appeal is successful, as Aussie gamers will be able to get their hands on the game. However IF the game has content that would warrant an R18+ rating and it gets classified in Australia (which means getting an MA15+ rating), that goes against one of the main arguments we gamers are using in favour of the adult rating: restricting the sale of inappropriate content to minors.
How about if Australia just got over themselves and introdouced the 18 ra-- oh, right, that's never gonna happen.

To be fair, the Mortal Kombat series' violence was always done in such a cartoonish fashion that it's more comedic than scary. It's gross anyways, but so are booggers.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
Dear WB,

If they still refuse classification, please do not cut the game in any way. Instead, please make the discs region free, so I can import it from somewhere else.

the.chad

Nov 22, 2010
hopefully WB stays firm on the issue... i remember the reboot of AvP was first banned. But after they said the wouldn't do a censored version, they back flipped on the issue lol!!!!

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
I dont get why aussies let this happen. You hold a rule that nobody likes, but everyone agrees or what?

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
I'd rather see this game banned completely than a watered-down version enter the country. I hope Warner stick to their guns and don't cave in with an edited version. Developers refusing to give in the the OFLC is the only way the law is ever going to get changed.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Popido said:
I dont get why aussies let this happen. You hold a rule that nobody likes, but everyone agrees or what?
This anomaly has plagued my thoughts for years. Entire civilisations have crumbled for less than we put up with. (Not saying there's not worse in the world, but that doesn't make the situation better. It perplexes me.)

You're just feeding them money, WB. This is how they get you. If they reject it again, don't release it here. The retailers will suffer for it, and probably ***** when we just go and get it cheaper anyway without their 'protection', but don't let the OFLC push you around and make you censor your work. Surely there's only so long they can be a burden before they're forced to stop stalling on that R18 rating...

Garrett Richey

Apr 6, 2010
I couldn't imagine an cut down Mortal Kombat game. Considering that the fatalities are almost definitely what the OFLC has issues with and they're also what makes Mortal Kombat games what they are. Don't really see much point of picking this up if it ends up out here in any form other than what it is for other countries.

Laclem

Feb 6, 2011
IF this gets appeal gets rejected, i hope this will be the catalyst for Aussie gamers to get off their arse and back the R 18+ mature rating.

OldAccount

Sep 10, 2010
How much should I bet that some old censer read the title, remembered the controversy in the 90s and immediately lifted his BANNED! stamp without so much as a look at the content?

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
Wait, so the OFLC just stated that this game is too violent to Warner Bros, and just shut up from there? They didn't point out *why* it was violent, or what things could be cut out? I think the ESRB here in the United States does that for a game (well they give interesting spoilers).

lasting_Child

Aug 31, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
This is just another example of Australia's rather stringent ratings policy for videogames, which currently lacks a mature rating for the medium, making things difficult for publishers, developers, and gamers alike.
No, no, no! So misinformed, we have a mature rating for video games, we don't have a restricted rating.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
manythings said:
Maybe they should just anchor a ship 12 miles out and let people buy copies there. I think that could provide an interesting experience.
they can host some illegal boxing matches while their out there.

We just need the atterney generals to just get on with it already. last i heard it was being delayed cause one of the states was having an election. probably SA since there always causing the problems.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
EmperorBones said:
Weren't the Nazis and Soviets big on censorship too?
Aren't Americans big on slavery?

manythings said:
The only person who suffers is the Australian retailers.

The game will retail in Australia for close to Au$100.

But I can buy it online for AU$50 (as an AU$ >= US$ ATM) and digitally download or import for under AU$15 for postage.

Ban it all the games you want, won't stop Aussies playing them, just will stop them buying them at local stores.