Warner Bros. Confirms Justice League Movie

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
As much as I should be hyped about this, the only thing I can think about is how by the time it comes out, Marvel will have 3 Avengers, at least 13 other superhero movies (assuming the rumors that they may ramp up production to 3-4 per year are false), 2 seasons of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (assuming it doesn't get more), A season of Agent Carter (assuming that doesn't get past 1), 4 Netflix series of 13 episodes each and an 8 episode miniseries, plus whatever else Marvel/Disney might come up with by 2018 (oh god I can just the movie being pushed back to 2019 or 2020 with ease).

Simple thing is, as much as I love Marvel, DC making an announcement about their own movie shouldn't make me more hyped for their COMPETITION.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
ShakerSilver said:
That's odd, I thought they already confirmed the Justice League movie. I mean they even announced Cyborg was going to be in it.

Oh wait, that was Batman vs Superman. Which already has more than half of the team in it.

Fuck Warner Bros.
More than half the team? That depends who is on the team, right? I mean, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, Flash, Green Lantern, Shazam, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter... plus, they'll probably have Ray Palmer, Amanda Waller... and that's barely scratching the surface.
They're almost certainly referring to the current team line-up which DC has been pushing heavily as THE line-up for the Justice League since the New 52. It also helps that compared to most other potential line-ups, this has the most "Big Names" and their origins are easily summarised, pushed out and easy to understand and accept.

1. Superman - Audience Knows Who he is.
2. Batman - Audience Knows Who he is.
3. Wonder Woman - Should be addressed in her own movie, but maybe the public's knowledge can carry this.
4. Flash - He's being explained in the TV show "Arrow" (it's a sorry sight) and he's supposedly getting a spin-off. Whether or not that ties into the movie-verse it gets the audience up to speed on who he is, how he works, and what he does.
5. Cyborg - Black, teen athlete, caught in an accident, gets surgically merged with COMPUTER SCIENCE! Easily addressed in a handful of minutes.
6. Green Lantern - Had a movie, it was shit, but how everything works is explained.
7. Aquaman - Atlanteans exist, they have a bunch of fucking powers, and he's one of them. This is easily explained and not too ridiculous when compared to the concept of Kryptonians.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Baron_BJ said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
ShakerSilver said:
That's odd, I thought they already confirmed the Justice League movie. I mean they even announced Cyborg was going to be in it.

Oh wait, that was Batman vs Superman. Which already has more than half of the team in it.

Fuck Warner Bros.
More than half the team? That depends who is on the team, right? I mean, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, Flash, Green Lantern, Shazam, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter... plus, they'll probably have Ray Palmer, Amanda Waller... and that's barely scratching the surface.
They're almost certainly referring to the current team line-up which DC has been pushing heavily as THE line-up for the Justice League since the New 52. It also helps that compared to most other potential line-ups, this has the most "Big Names" and their origins are easily summarised, pushed out and easy to understand and accept.

3. Wonder Woman - Should be addressed in her own movie, but maybe the public's knowledge can carry this.
4. Flash - He's being explained in the TV show "Arrow" (it's a sorry sight) and he's supposedly getting a spin-off. Whether or not that ties into the movie-verse it gets the audience up to speed on who he is, how he works, and what he does.
5. Cyborg - Black, teen athlete, caught in an accident, gets surgically merged with COMPUTER SCIENCE! Easily addressed in a handful of minutes.
6. Green Lantern - Had a movie, it was shit, but how everything works is explained.
7. Aquaman - Atlanteans exist, they have a bunch of fucking powers, and he's one of them. This is easily explained and not too ridiculous when compared to the concept of Kryptonians.
I haven't read a lot of New 52 so I'm not so up to date with the "current" team. My point was really just that we don't know for sure who or what the Justice League even is at this point. His point could be doubly true - for all we know Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Cyborg are the only members of the Justice League, or maybe the Justice League doesn't have them in it at all. We don't know yet. So there's no quantifiable "half".

Also, I did watch the animated movie of Origin - Justice League: War, I recall? - and Aquaman wasn't even there. It was Shazam that was there. So, is Shazam in the Justice League or not? I know it was Aquaman instead of him in the comic. And I think Green Arrow was there for a bit? ...god. Comics are stupid. I gotta forget about this stuff. brb reading comics

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Baron_BJ said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
ShakerSilver said:

Fuck Warner Bros.

I haven't read a lot of New 52 so I'm not so up to date with the "current" team. My point was really just that we don't know for sure who or what the Justice League even is at this point. His point could be doubly true - for all we know Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Cyborg are the only members of the Justice League, or maybe the Justice League doesn't have them in it at all. We don't know yet. So there's no quantifiable "half".

Also, I did watch the animated movie of Origin - Justice League: War, I recall? - and Aquaman wasn't even there. It was Shazam that was there. So, is Shazam in the Justice League or not? I know it was Aquaman instead of him in the comic. And I think Green Arrow was there for a bit? ...god. Comics are stupid. I gotta forget about this stuff. brb reading comics
Haven't read much of the New 52? You've missed nothing when it comes to the Justice League.
Shazam was introduced in a back-up in Justice League, it was a decent enough story and it seems like they intend to introduce him as a full on member at some point, but you're right, he did supplement Aquaman in the animated movie, supposedly it's because it made the movie easier to write and choreograph because of flying scenes. For a while it seemed as though they were going to introduce new members to the team, but they balked, changed their mind and wrote Forever Evil instead (which is shitty AND keeps getting delayed).
Though, given DC's current approach to giving things movies and how they have to be absurdly big names to even be considered, there's little chance that anyone but the "big 7" (maybe Shazam) will be in the movies to begin with.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I really wish I could have a sense of hope about this. I do. Cynicism isn't just tiresome, it's also tiring, and I would be happier if I could make myself believe that DC, its parent company, and the employees working on the film have any interest in giving me the movie I'd like rather than one that exists primarily to apologize for tights and capes.

I just can't do it, though. I do not have that faith. Sorry, DC, but I shan't be watching your movie of heroes you're ashamed of.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
DC should stick to animation.

Their various animated direct to DVD features are awesome, and even the weaker ones are leagues ahead of Man of Steel and the likes.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Baron_BJ said:
Haven't read much of the New 52? You've missed nothing when it comes to the Justice League.
Shazam was introduced in a back-up in Justice League, it was a decent enough story and it seems like they intend to introduce him as a full on member at some point, but you're right, he did supplement Aquaman in the animated movie, supposedly it's because it made the movie easier to write and choreograph because of flying scenes. For a while it seemed as though they were going to introduce new members to the team, but they balked, changed their mind and wrote Forever Evil instead (which is shitty AND keeps getting delayed).
Though, given DC's current approach to giving things movies and how they have to be absurdly big names to even be considered, there's little chance that anyone but the "big 7" (maybe Shazam) will be in the movies to begin with.
I'm surprised even Cyborg is there; I would have figured public knowledge is restrained to the Super Friends or something. And Cyborg hasn't been a Leaguer for long, either - I would have associated him with Teen Titans, if I knew him and didn't read comics. (And he might not be in the league, for all we know. He could just be Cyborg doin' cyborg stuff.)

Time will tell. I'm not counting on anything so far.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Andy of Comix Inc said:
I'm surprised even Cyborg is there; I would have figured public knowledge is restrained to the Super Friends or something. And Cyborg hasn't been a Leaguer for long, either - I would have associated him with Teen Titans, if I knew him and didn't read comics. (And he might not be in the league, for all we know. He could just be Cyborg doin' cyborg stuff.)

As best as I've been keeping up with things, Cyborg usually evokes memories of that Teen Titans cartoon from 2003 - so you can imagine my surprise with DC seeming to give him a lot of push at the minute (even more so as I recall Beastboy having a lot more fans).

That said, he's been popping up as a Leaguer frequently at the minute for some unexplained reason - in addition to being on the New 52 JL roster (as someone already said), he had starring roles in Doom, Flashpoint Paradox and War (where in Doom he was put in place of both Aquaman and Plastic Man, but I'm sure he had similar roles in the comics in the latter two).

Hopefully I'm not just rambling a bunch of nonsense. In truth, I don't fully get it either.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I feel like failing to establish a linked universe between all of their DC content will really have an impact on how the film plays out. As a result the only established characters that they are going to have will be Henry Caville's Superman, whilst Batman, Cyborg and Wonderwoman are all going to be in the same pool as Black Widow and Hawkeye from the Marvel universe where their characters were no where near fleshed out enough to really have an impact on the film other than "Guy with guns for arms who is half robot and woman who has a whip and bullet-proof bracelets (or whatever she does)", and whilst Batman does have the benefit of an entire trilogy before his inclusion in the Batman vs Superman film, but with an entirely different actor and director, his portrayal of the role may be entirely different from Christian Bale's portrayal of the Dark Knight. One thing that I would really like, and one thing that I feel would help the film, is if Stephen Amell and Grant Gustin could reprise their roles as The Arrow and The Flash to have some familiar characters within the film, as opposed to just recasting their roles, or ignoring them entirely.

It seems that this film is just cursed with controversy, with every decision aside from say, the casting of Cyborg and Superman, evoking the wrath of DC and film fans alike, and there is nothing that can really be done about it other than starting over.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Seems Warner wants to have Avengers without going through all the work needed to have Avengers. The reason Avengers worked was because it took established characters that people already knew from earlier movies and put them together in a crossover movie that tied together the plot threads from all those movies. So most viewers were invested right off the bat and the whole thing could move along with minimal exposition. And the reason why people were invested was because the preceding films were all good, or at the very least decent.

Here Warner's plans kinda fall apart - DC films have been kinda crap, with the exception of Nolan's Batman trilogy. Not only that, but their staunch refusal to tie the films together hamstrings their efforts. Continuity is a powerful tool to get people hooked for the long run and Warner seems to be waaaay too lazy to commit. So they get to make what is essentially the "B-list" of superhero movies while Marvel keeps raking in the cash...

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
So my initial assertion was right in regards to what David Goyer said earlier this month about there being no plans for a cohesive universe. In that, they will do it and want to... they just don't have any plan in place as to how. regardless, my expectations are set pretty low given Man Of Steel, Dark Knight Rises, and Green Lantern.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Baron_BJ said:

Sir Shockwave said:
As best as I've been keeping up with things, Cyborg usually evokes memories of that Teen Titans cartoon from 2003 - so you can imagine my surprise with DC seeming to give him a lot of push at the minute (even more so as I recall Beastboy having a lot more fans).

That said, he's been popping up as a Leaguer frequently at the minute for some unexplained reason - in addition to being on the New 52 JL roster (as someone already said), he had starring roles in Doom, Flashpoint Paradox and War (where in Doom he was put in place of both Aquaman and Plastic Man, but I'm sure he had similar roles in the comics in the latter two).

Hopefully I'm not just rambling a bunch of nonsense. In truth, I don't fully get it either.
Pretty simple really, DC has been fairly forward about what they're doing with Cyborg and, most recently, Wally West (He was recently redone to be a bi-racial time traveller http://www.newsarama.com/20938-the-flash-writers-talk-wally-west-changes-and-the-future-flash-spoilers.html). With the New 52 they claim to have dedicated themselves to being more culturally diverse and have adjusted themselves as such. With the Justice League they wanted to slim down the team to an iconic grouping, but they also felt that they needed racial diversity, but to keep with the idea of the team being iconic they chose Cyborg to be on the team due to him being their most prolific character of colour, like the earlier poster mentioned though, the character is famous due to him being a member of the Titans and before the New 52 he had nothing to do with the Justice League.

I'm not eagainst moving Cyborg to the Justice League to give the team a more diverse cast (it also helps that he can fulfil a really tech-based role within the group, even if those abilities often overlap with other members), what I do dislike is the fact that the character hasn't been fucking used at all since being moved to the team (in the books thusfar he's been the team bus and has barely had the chance to fucking speak), but that's a tangent unrelated to the movies.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
DC is making themselves look more and more like the kid at the sandbox who won't stop talking about how awesome and great he and everything he does is going to be while pissing himself and wiping snot off his face.

How on earth do they still subscribe to this idiotic, rushed cash grab business model? So far they've only got the Dark Knight Tril... oh wait, that doesn't count because B vs. Superman is gonna be a reboot. So far they've only got Man of Steel to back themselves up, and that wasn't a mega-success like the Avengers. Green Lantern is pretty much forgotten about at this point. As much as I'd like to see an equally good counterpart to the Avengers, I just don't think it's gonna happen.

Hey I've got an idea! Let's ditch superheroes altogether for a while and make an Elephantmen movie instead! Who's with me?

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Zack Snyder wasn't the worst person to do this, but then again, Frank Miller probably wasn't available.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Hairless Mammoth said:
Ah, so that writer from last week that said Warner Bros. isn't making a DC cinematic universe was either in the dark or blowing hot air.
Not necessarily. So far the "universe" consists of one film containing only Superman. That's set to be followed by a sequel which is sounding more and more like Justice League Movie #1, and they've now announced that there is going to be a Justice League Movie #2. Three films following on from each other but with no connections to anything else is not a cinematic universe, it's just a trilogy. We didn't call the Dark Knight trilogy the DC cinematic universe just because there were three films, and there doesn't seem to be any reason to do so in this case.

There can be little doubt that they want there to be a DC cinematic universe. Given the success of Marvel they'd be insane not to want it. But so far there's been no sign that they're actually willing to do the work required to make one. Throwing a bunch of extra characters into the sequels to a semi-successful reboot just isn't the same thing.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
I wonder if anyone at Warner Bros. thought this would be some kind of massive, earth shattering reveal that would send fanboys and girls wild with anticipation.
And see, I thought they had announced it.

Andrew Siribohdi said:
I'll be honest; I actually wanted Ben Affleck to direct.
Given the two, I'd take Affleck.

Hairless Mammoth said:
Ah, so that writer from last week that said Warner Bros. isn't making a DC cinematic universe was either in the dark or blowing hot air.
Or completely accurate. He was speaking of a cohesive universe of disparate films and television, while so far, all evidence is that everything but the Superman Sequel and the Justice League will do their own thing. You have Arrow and the apparently upcoming Flash series which will have similarities, but no relation to the movies thus far, and you have Sandman coming.

Goyer's comments on not rivaling the MCU are accurate thus far.

SilverUchiha said:
In that, they will do it and want to... they just don't have any plan in place as to how.
Because that would imply they had a plan. Any plan.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I am utterly, truly amazed at how, five years ago, this would have made me so excited...

... And how I'm so "meh" about it now.

I was NOT a fan of Man of Steel for a litany of reasons (mostly because the very moral foundation of Superman was yanked away and made grim-dark because DC still thinks everything is better if it tries to be Batman).

The casting thus far has been the opposite of hype for me. I don't hate Ben Affleck, but as Batman? Some random skinny underweight supermodel whose most notable film appearance is as bikini eyecandy in Fast & Furious as Wonder Woman? The annoying kid from The Social Network and Zombieland as Lex Luthor? Either a totally new Green Lantern (only a couple years after the last one bombed), or bringing back the same actor (from the one that bombed)?

The casting is odd, the tone is dark and gritty, and DC has entrusted their ENTIRE movie universe to the "genius" behind Sucker Punch (the same guy who felt it was necessary to ADD a rape scene to a Frank Miller comic adaptation. Seriously).

I have no excitement for this. Just skepticism and dread.

I have no doubt it'll make money (it has Batman, and even Batman & Robin, the "death of the franchise", made hundreds of millions of dollars). But more and more the signs are there that this is going to suck pretty badly.

Would love to be wrong... but nothing, and do mean NOTHING, has given me a shred of confidence about a Justice League movie at this point.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Lol. All this after Goyer announced a month ago that there were no plans for a cohesive universe. At this point I really can't get excited. WB can't even bother to fully flesh out Superman given what we know about Man of Steel 2, I mean Superman vs Batman, I mean Batman vs Superman.. ok Justice League Lite. WB just wants to rush in for the cash grab after years of sitting on the pot and sucking on Batman's teet. It's going to look nice but its going to be a big shallow Michael Bay style mess and probably end up looking like a bigger budget version of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

They should rethink this and let DC have their own studio. But they won't.

Edit: Hail Hydra