Warner Bros. Confirms Justice League Movie

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Warner Bros. Confirms Justice League Movie

Zack Snyder will direct the epic team-up of DC Comics superheroes

The worst kept secret in the blockbuster biz is a secret no more. [http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/04/27/warner-bros-details-plans-for-justice-league-movie-exclusive/]

From the moment Warner Bros. Pictures announced last year at SDCC that they intended to follow Man of Steel with a Batman/Superman team-up movie (still referred to by the unofficial title Batman Vs. Superman) featuring a new incarnation of Batman unrelated to the recently-completed Dark Knight Trilogy; fans have treated the idea that a Justice League film (and a DC Cinematic Universe to rival Disney/Marvel's) would be next as a foregone conclusion. That speculation only increased when Gal Gadot was cast as Wonder Woman, and recently reached fever-pitch when Ray Fisher picked up the role of Cyborg.

Now they've made it official. Speaking to The Wall Street Journal, WB's head of worldwide production Greg Silverman confirmed that the film is planned as the follow-up to the first Man of Steel sequel. Ben Affleck (as Batman,) Henry Cavill (as Superman,) Gadot and Fisher are all expected to continue their respective roles; with other heroes presumably yet to be announced. No storyline, script or screenwriter has been announced. Zack Snyder is expected to return as director.

First appearing in 1960 (as The Justice League of America,) The League was DC Comics' Silver Age successor to the popular Golden Age team The Justice Society. The foundational "supergroup" of DC Universe, The League has continued to exist for decades of comics publication in multiple incarnations with a rotating roster of heroes that usually (but not always) includes the "trinity" of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Warner Bros. has other projects involving League-affiliated DC characters either running or in-production, including Arrow and the upcoming Flash on TV plus the long-gestating Shazam movie, but thus far have been reluctant to unify these franchises.

No release date has been set for Justice League. Batman Vs. Superman is currently set for a May 2016 bow.

Source: The Wall Street Journal [http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/04/27/warner-bros-details-plans-for-justice-league-movie-exclusive/]

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
I have a distinct feeling that this will be bad on the level of Green Lantern, and that's a shame.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I wonder if anyone at Warner Bros. thought this would be some kind of massive, earth shattering reveal that would send fanboys and girls wild with anticipation. That said and as 'meh' as I feel about a live-action Justice League movie I still want to see what they are going to do to try and topple the Avengers. I also wonder whether this means they are going to branch out in to the less well known characters or at least give some a shot that haven't seen the big screen yet. Anything that isn't Batman or Superman and doesn't suck would be a nice breath of fresh air.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Ah, so that writer from last week that said Warner Bros. isn't making a DC cinematic universe was either in the dark or blowing hot air. The Supes sequel will have Batman and Wonder Woman. Then there's this Justice League movie. And they're got the same actors signed up for both films (with Henry Cavill it's 3). DC is just moving faster to play catch up to Marvel. There will probably be more individual character movies afterwards, just like Thor 2, Iron Man 3, Capt. America 2, etc. Even if some facts weren't consistent with the Justice League movie and the previous two Supermans, it would be minor retcons(or the writer just plain being lazy and not watching the other films). DC knows what worked for Marvel's superhero films, and the only thing that wouldn't make it work for DC is craptastic decision making in the near future.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Could they have picked a worse director to handle it? Oh well, everyone buckle up and grab your buckets of popcorn, this train wreck is going to be magnificent.

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
This feels as rushed and cynical as Zack Snyder seemed calculating and hypocrite in the Man Of Steel interviews. I wish I could gather a bit of hope for this project.

On the other hand, the DC characters are so simple and one-note that you really don't need stand-alone pictures to set them up. This whole ordeal could be saved with a good script. And it's not like there's a shortage of comicbook writers out there, some really talented, witty writers who love comics. A good screenplay adaptation and this could be a good movie.

The thing is, I have a feeling they're aiming more for a box-office success than a cinematographic success. So they're probably going with established box office people, like David Goyer, who has no idea how to write superheroes or heroism, but loves writing about conflicted emo-murderers.

I hope we get a great movie, one that makes sense and makes you cheer for hope and heroism. I would love to see that movie. But I'm guessing we'll be getting a gray, 9-11 inspired tale of death and despair with excessive, numbing violence and a convoluted mess of a story.

The World Famous

Mar 1, 2010
It's funny, on the DC subreddit everyone is blowing their load all over the screen. "I JUST CAN'T WAIT! IT'S GONNA BE SO GOOD!"
Meanwhile, on the rest of the internet, no one cares. It's sad, really. DC's characters are so good and DC has no idea what to do with them.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I have to be honest... I don't want to watch Zach Snyder butcher anymore comic movies. Least of all a Justice League movie. Marvel has painstakingly worked to develop their cinematic universe with movies ranging from good to excellent. DC/WB has managed to screw up most of their movies at this point. Marvel has managed to capture the feeling of the comics in their cinematic universe, but DC/WB is constantly changing characters to make up for bad scripting in most of their movies. They haven't done many movies that were like the comic, and then they have horrendous scripts (I'm looking at you GL, that movies sucked because you can't get competent writers and directors).

I guess I'm not filled with confidence for them to handle their characters outside of animated films. DC has Marvel beat in that arena, hands down.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Judging by the accompanying image, how will they tell 8 origin stories in one 2 hour movie? Since WB decided there will be no crossovers or continuity?

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Meanwhile, Marvel will have had three Avengers movies out by the time JLA finally materialises... that ain't going to take the wind out of DC's sails, or anything, will it?

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
The World Famous said:
It's funny, on the DC subreddit everyone is blowing their load all over the screen. "I JUST CAN'T WAIT! IT'S GONNA BE SO GOOD!"
Meanwhile, on the rest of the internet, no one cares. It's sad, really. DC's characters are so good and DC has no idea what to do with them.
I know, we should all be ecstatic about this. Yet you get the feeling they're more worried about chasing Marvel Films, than about offering the best movie they can give us.

I love the Marvel movies, but I'd love to see good DC movies too. In the end it just means more great superhero movies! I watched the Dark Knight trilogy in the theaters. I even saw Man Of Steel, I hated it, but I gave Snyder a chance on account of Watchmen, one of my favorites. I also loved Hellboy (Dark Horse). I don't care who owns or profits with this movies. I just want a good movie experience.

What I find more baffling is that DC seems to handle their animation stuff really well. But when it comes to live action movies, they just don't seem to have that much control over the process. And it ends up being a mess.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
I can't wait to see...the cancellation announcement, after BVS comes out and they realize that talking about how much money they're going to make doesn't actually cause that to happen.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
That's odd, I thought they already confirmed the Justice League movie. I mean they even announced Cyborg was going to be in it.

Oh wait, that was Batman vs Superman. Which already has more than half of the team in it.

Fuck Warner Bros.

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
And while WB and DC flounder trying to stir up more interest in Batman vs Superman, and now Justice League; the Marvel cinematic universe's second phase will be complete, and they'll be well into Phase 3. Avengers 3 will probably be out by the time Justice League comes out.

While I imagine it's perfectly possible for the films to turn out just fine, you'll have to forgive me if I'm a tad skeptical. WB has to be seeing the same thing I've just outlined. Somehow I don't see them taking their time to develop a well crafted cinematic experience when they will be far more concerned about trying to outdo Marvel.

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
Visually, Snyder's films are amazing. They just don't seem to come together very well in the execution of story. If the Justice League movie is story-heavy, I'm not sure how it will turn out. But, I remain optimistic to see how well Batman vs Superman fares. Hopefully, it exceeds all expectations and furthers the momentum of the Justice League movie.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I wish I was hitting the roof with excitement, but I'm not. I have not been impressed with and DC movies that are live actions in many years. Yes, that includes the Dark Knight Trilogy. They take everything way too seriously in their movies and suck all the fun out of them. Marvel, meanwhile, seems to remember that these are supposed to be comic book-based movies and are able to have fun with them and still have a good story.

I fear that shadow is going to be beating this movie the entire way: Marvel does it better. That is going to make this movie even harder to get behind and like, because it's going to be compared to something that is already so near perfection for so many people, that it can't possibly measure up.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
ShakerSilver said:
That's odd, I thought they already confirmed the Justice League movie. I mean they even announced Cyborg was going to be in it.

Oh wait, that was Batman vs Superman. Which already has more than half of the team in it.

Fuck Warner Bros.
More than half the team? That depends who is on the team, right? I mean, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, Flash, Green Lantern, Shazam, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter... plus, they'll probably have Ray Palmer, Amanda Waller... and that's barely scratching the surface.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
And also today, scientists discover that water is wet.

If this, makes it as news I am really happy I am not caring about these movies. Never bothered with Man of Steel, I enjoyed the Dark Knight Trilogy, but aside from comic books there has been no evidence that such a large team could survive a full length movie. The Avengers works because all the major characters have been introduced through other movies, and they mesh well.

With this... experiment, you have Superman from the Man of Steel, Batman from an unknown storyline, Wonder Woman whose origin is unknown given the variations of it, Cyborg has been announced and again who knows his origin story or why we should care.

This will be a Michael Bay 'quality' movie, lots of big fights and explosion but very little storyline.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
More than half the team? That depends who is on the team, right? I mean, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, Flash, Green Lantern, Shazam, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter... plus, they'll probably have Ray Palmer, Amanda Waller... and that's barely scratching the surface.
The core team. So far we have Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Cyborg. Just add Green Lantern and Flash and you've got a Justice League movie. I don't think we'll ever see anything out JLI or the extended league; hell they can barely put Superman on the big screen.