Warner Bros. Officially Greenlights Live-Action Akira

laryri

May 19, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
laryri said:
Jack and Calumon said:
So, ummm, Akira is a big deal, right? Like one of those shows that fans shun you for not seeing and ban you from all their conversations until you have seen it because they're jerks like that?

And Hollywood MAY be ruining it by not offering it the "respect" that it deserves?

Is this different to any other adaptation that Hollywood does of something from Geek Culture that's NOT superheroes?

Calumon: Is this another show you're gonna watch and be miserable after watching for another month? : (
Akira is already a movie is the thing.
No, it was an anime. As much as Otaku may say its an act akin to genocide and the greatest injustice of all creation, there are a lot of people who simply don't watch anime.
It was still feature length, therefore a movie. It can be anime and a movie.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
So, ummm, Akira is a big deal, right? Like one of those shows that fans shun you for not seeing and ban you from all their conversations until you have seen it because they're jerks like that?

And Hollywood MAY be ruining it by not offering it the "respect" that it deserves?

Is this different to any other adaptation that Hollywood does of something from Geek Culture that's NOT superheroes?

Calumon: Is this another show you're gonna watch and be miserable after watching for another month? : (
Sorry to say Calumon, probably, there are dark times ahead for any who view this, and should Jack fall into that trap, he will need you more then ever.

>.>

but, then this question is blaring at 50 in my head 'why the fuck is this over rated bore feast getting a live action remake?! WHO, thought this was even REMOTELY a good idea?! are they fired yet -.- cause they should be'

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
Delusibeta said:
OutrageousEmu said:
No, it was an anime. As much as Otaku may say its an act akin to genocide and the greatest injustice of all creation, there are a lot of people who simply don't watch anime.
The problem with that argument is that calling this film "Akira" would put off the people who don't watch anime.
That requires the reason they don't watch anime is because they just coincidentally hate all the stories told by anime, instead of it being because they don't like or appreciate anime as a style. If its live action, the barrier for these people is removed.
Point D still applies however: I'd imagine the posters will resemble those of Dragon Ball Evolution, and we all know how that went down.

In fact, Dragon Ball Evolution seems to be the model this film is taking, and while that was reasonably successful, I doubt lightning will strike twice.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
Im sorry but I thought Akira sucked. I understand that impact it made on anime and that but as a movie I found it to overall be kinda stupid and have incredibly scattered plot points. And Ill be honest and you can call me "Too stupid to get it" cause I really dont care but the ending made no sense to me. I just stood blankly for like 20 minutes till the end wondering what the fuck was going on.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
infinitely-better-by-virtue-of-Liam-Neeson-murdering-dudes
You mean murdering a dude - watch that flick again, he has a body count of 1 and it's right at the very end, almost self defence. Unlike the girl who although says she "hates killers" and there's supposed to be a tense scene at the end with the look she give him after he's killed his one guy and she's got a body count of at least three that I recall (guy in the flat, guy in the van and guy infront of the van) which thereby robs the scene of any meaning, all of which come seemingly easy to her and no ill after affects are shown, girl has no damn conscience for her own actions and only bleats on about her friend being dead.
Hopefully the director can convey greater emotion with Akira - though I doubt it, probably end up just being an excuse for a ton of poor cgi effects - especially Tetsuo at the end, I'm actually hoping they do the usual Hollywood trick of changing the ending as that's just not going to translate well into live action footage..

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
You want solid reasons that this will be bad?

How about pretty much every remake of a japanese film by an american company has been ok at best? That a good reason? Ok it could jsut be me, but the american remakes of the ring and the grudge just weren't as good. Heck either the producter or director, i forget which, of the grudge remake basically insulted the audience he was remaking it for by saying they wouldnt understand the original classics cause it lacked american people or culture...

But really, go and look back at the list of american remakes of foreign films and the majority are worse than the original, considering akiras status as a classic and its an anime been adapted to live action, the chances of it been good are questionable, but the chances of it been anywhere near as good as the original are so slim its just silly, especially considering the director hasnt really done much of any real note...

Daniel Laeben-Rosen

Jun 9, 2010
Well besides the whole problem about the whitewashing of an incredibly japanese property:
The studio making it is mostly incompetent, a property like Akira really needs a massive budget behind it to actually look good, and well... I seriously just don't think the basic story works as a western adaptation.
The theme is pretty much the same as in Godzilla; "Nukes fuck things up", and the society being presented in Akira is very much a post-apocalypse in the way the 1980's saw it.
The only way to make it work, would be to change the style, the script, the themes, the characters and pretty much everything else. And when you do that... Why not just make an original screenplay?

SuccessAndBiscuts

Nov 9, 2009
I'm a relatively late in life convert from "I just don't get this anime stuff" to "Actually some of it is pretty dam good and better than the stuff on TV" (as such suggestions are welcome, preferably scifi action type stuff but I'm open to anything) and I only recently actually watched Akira.

My intimidate thoughts after watching it were:

1: A live-action remake could work and could be good but would be really hard to pull off effectively and I'm full of doubt given the Anime adaptation track record.

2: How would I make a bike like that? With decent performance and not a tiny engine like most of the copies I've seen floating around the internet. (I'm a biker and have a habit of designing crazy machines when I'm bored so heaven help everyone that lives near me when I graduate and have the money to try and build some of my designs.)

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
God, that movie was freaky. I'd love to see it live-action on the big screen! Though I must ask, where's my live-action Evangelion remake!?

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
David Alien 3 Fincher
Was his first movie, you know, a multi-million dollar production of a big named property to a relative newb (done a doc and a couple of videos prior).
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
There wasn't a single computer used in the making of Akira, which is mond-bogglingly impressive when you see how detailes and downright crazy the animation is throughout the film. It's a landmark film which dserves more than a half-hearted effort by Warner Bros to cash in on its legacy.
You mean apart from the end where
the cryo vault is being lifted out of the ground, the tubes falling away were computer animated and then traced to cell
now how crazy is that?

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
All I have to say is ever since the rumor came out of a live-action Evangelion with Elijah Wood as Shinji, I have just shut out everything that has to do with anime movie remakes.
I missed that rumor. When exactly did anyone connect Wood to the Evangelion movie?

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011
OutrageousEmu said:
As much as Otaku may say its an act akin to genocide and the greatest injustice of all creation, there are a lot of people who simply don't watch anime.
Pardon mon français, mais... FUCK those retards who deprive themselves of excellent movies or series that just happen to be animated and/or foreign.